Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 10:04 AM

Who would want to shoot out of the window? You would have to be a bachelor to do it.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you would have to be a bachelor, just a like minded family where everyone is a shooter and understands the situation.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle_monkey1 View Post
I can't show you documentation saying it's legal, thankfully that's not how the law works in Canada. The laws are written to govern, restrict or prohibit certain activities or objects. Take those e-cig things for example. When they first came out people were using them in bars because there were no laws against this. Legislation was soon passed to restrict their use so now you have to use them in the same manner as cigarettes.

I can't provide any legislation allowing this topic we've been going back and forth about. I also can't find any legislation prohibiting it either.

Some people believe that your house/dwelling includes your entire property but the definition of house/dwelling is clearly laid out in Section 2 of the criminal code. It does not include your entire property. There is also confusion about the language "AT the house/dwelling" some people are construing that to mean at the address, not IN the house/dwelling. In French it is DANS which is "IN" the house/dwelling. Food for thought. Anyways at the end of the day we are all subject to these poorly worded & illogical laws and we should be doing as much as we can to enact change and have these bad laws replaced with common sense legislation.
Actually that is exactly how the regulations work. The regulations tell you what is legal as opposed to what is illegal. I will post this again.

Taken from the firearms Act

Transporting and using prohibited firearms or restricted firearms

19 (1) An individual who holds a licence authorizing the individual to possess prohibited firearms or restricted firearms may be authorized to transport a particular prohibited firearm or restricted firearm between two or more specified places for any good and sufficient reason, including, without restricting the generality of the foregoing,

(a) for use in target practice, or a target shooting competition, under specified conditions or under the auspices of a shooting club or shooting range that is approved under section 29;

(a.1) to provide instructions in the use of firearms as part of a restricted firearms safety course that is approved by the federal Minister; or

(b) if the individual

(i) changes residence,

(ii) wishes to transport the firearm to a peace officer, firearms officer or chief firearms officer for registration or disposal in accordance with this Act or Part III of the Criminal Code,

(iii) wishes to transport the firearm for repair, storage, sale, exportation or appraisal, or

(iv) wishes to transport the firearm to a gun show.

Within section 19 it listed 2 authorized uses for restricted/prohibited

1. Shooting at an approved CFO range

2. For teaching purposes

Within section 19 it also list reasons that are pre-approved for transport.. ie going to a range, gun show, point of sale etc. If you require transport outside these pre-approved reason then a short term ATT must be obtained from the CFO.

Sec 86(2) of the Criminal Code is the charge section for breaches of Regulations made under the Firearms Act. So yes, Regulations are enforceable and must be adhered to like any other legislated law.

Regulations do not list what is illegal like Criminal Code laws. Look at the storage and transport regulations. No where does it state that it is illegal to store your firearm loaded. Alternatively it tells you that it must be unloaded. So the regulations will not state that shooting a restricted firearm on your property is illegal, alternatively it will only tell you where it is legal to discharge and in this case it is a CFO approved range. So if it is not listed then it is not legal, that is how regulations work.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Actually that is exactly how the regulations work. The regulations tell you what is legal as opposed to what is illegal. I will post this again.

Taken from the firearms Act

19 (1) An individual who holds a licence authorizing the individual to possess prohibited firearms or restricted firearms may be authorized to transport a particular prohibited firearm or restricted firearm between two or more specified places for any good and sufficient reason, including, without restricting the generality of the foregoing,

(a) for use in target practice, or a target shooting competition, under specified conditions or under the auspices of a shooting club or shooting range that is approved under section 29;

(a.1) to provide instructions in the use of firearms as part of a restricted firearms safety course that is approved by the federal Minister; or

(b) if the individual

(i) changes residence,

(ii) wishes to transport the firearm to a peace officer, firearms officer or chief firearms officer for registration or disposal in accordance with this Act or Part III of the Criminal Code,

(iii) wishes to transport the firearm for repair, storage, sale, exportation or appraisal, or

Within section 19 it listed 2 authorized uses for restricted/prohibited

1. Shooting at an approved CFO range

2. For teaching purposes

Within section 19 it also list reasons that are pre-approved for transport.. ie going to a range, gun show, point of sale etc. If you require transport outside these pre-approved reason then a short term ATT must be obtained from the CFO.

Sec 86(2) of the Criminal Code is the charge section for breaches of Regulations made under the Firearms Act. So yes, Regulations are enforceable and must be adhered to like any other legislated law.

Regulations do not list what is illegal like Criminal Code laws. Look at the storage and transport regulations. No where does it state that it is illegal to store your firearm loaded. Alternatively it tells you that it must be unloaded. So the regulations will not state that shooting a restricted firearm on your property is illegal, alternatively it will only tell you where it is legal to discharge and in this case it is a CFO approved range. So if it is not listed then it is not legal, that is how regulations work.
Lol alright I'll bite. You keep beating a dead horse. Your first bolded part from the firearms act says "Transporting AND using". Does it say anything about using without transporting? Do you not grasp that what we are talking about doesn't involve transport? Myself and others are talking about something that doesn't involve any transportation of a firearm so why do you keep trotting out Sec 19 (1)?

Of course you need authorization to transport. Almost every aspect of owning and using restricted firearms requires CFO approval. I think we all agree on that. We are talking about a very particular and peculiar situation where there is actually no language in the firearms act that addresses it.

And yes, in Canada things are legal until they are controlled through legislation. Don't believe me? Fine. So the new drone legislation doesn't legislate drones because they were already illegal and the legislation is legalizing them? Legislation sets out limits on behavior by saying what you can't do, not what you can. Drugs were made illegal by legislation, before that they were in the default state of being legal.

This is the way things are with criminal law, which is what the firearms act falls under. This is a mixed blessing. The advantage is that mens rea and all that good stuff is required in a lot of cases and there isn't as much of that strict liability & absolute liability crap like there is in regulatory law, but it's still there, like the following. Regulatory paperwork errors are entrenched in criminal law. Don't have your registration certificate with you while transporting a pistol? Bend over, it's gonna hurt. You could end up being a convicted criminal with a gun crime on your record. Ouch.

And then you have the whole bizarre licensing system where all guns are essentially illegal in Canada through Sec 91 & 92 of the criminal code but your license gives you temporary reprieve from charges while your license is valid. Essentially you get a crime license or a license to commit a crime and you're all good. Why the CPC didn't fix this mess we'll never know, instead of offering up their bandaid fix amnesties.

As for your assertion that guns don't need to be unloaded while being stored or transported because it doesn't say so in the firearms act I suggest you learn the differences between "may", "must", & "shall" in legalspeak. It says for both storage and transport that they "must" be unloaded. That's not optional.

But in the weird scenario I've been babbling about, they are not in storage nor being transported.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:58 PM

28 A chief firearms officer may approve the transfer to an individual of a restricted firearm or a handgun referred to in subsection 12(6.1) (pre-December 1, 1998 handguns) only if the chief firearms officer is satisfied

(a) that the individual needs the restricted firearm or handgun

(i) to protect the life of that individual or of other individuals, or

(ii) for use in connection with his or her lawful profession or occupation; or

(b) that the purpose for which the individual wishes to acquire the restricted firearm or handgun is

(i) for use in target practice, or a target shooting competition, under conditions specified in an authorization to transport or under the auspices of a shooting club or shooting range that is approved under section 29, or

(ii) to form part of a gun collection of the individual, in the case of an individual who satisfies the criteria described in section 30.

1995, c. 39, s. 28

Section 28 in section I how does that apply. The word "or"

No where does it say shoot in your back yard off the deck our out the window of you house. Nor does it ellude to that.

It does state under ATT or auspices of a shooting club or range approved. How does that fit.

In order to transfer a restrcited you have to have one of the following reasons. One should be able to conclude that one must only shoot that firearm at an approved range.
But I am assuming because it does not specifically say Joe smith cannot shoot his restricted firearm out his farm house window that it is legal to do.

It is funny how when we need more clarification of a law the goverment always seems to add more rules. Wait for it. Comming soon "no shootng from your dwelling"

Last edited by ctd; 03-18-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:09 PM

Good luck guys, I have nothing further to add.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:48 AM
Gone Hunting

I do not own a handgun, but who really cares if someone is shooting a handgun from his deck or out in the back 40. A lot of farmers and country dwellers shoot rifles from their decks, so what is the big deal about shooting a handgun from there?
Old 03-19-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa View Post
I do not own a handgun, but who really cares if someone is shooting a handgun from his deck or out in the back 40. A lot of farmers and country dwellers shoot rifles from their decks, so what is the big deal about shooting a handgun from there?
Nobody really cares until some new acreage owner from the city moves into the neighborhood and calls the cops cause they heard shots and they are scared. The cops show up and catch you shooting a handgun and they happen to be the type of cop who don't like people owning handguns your in trouble. Some cops will tell you to smarten up, put the guns away and have a nice day, others will put the cuffs on you. You takes your chances
Old 03-19-2017, 02:52 PM

WOW some people are thick in the head!!

You can post and repost Sec 19 all you want,it has NOTHING to do with where you might legally discharge a restricted.
Sec 19(1)describes who may be authorized with an ATT to TRANSPORT a restricted between 2 locations,and 19(1a) is an example of places where one might TRANSPORT said restricted firearm to.

28(i) is essentially the exact same as 19(1a) only it deals specifically with class 12(6) prohibs.

Most of you with the exception of Throttle Monkey and a cpl others(?)are missing the entire argument here for some reason,that being if you haven't TRANSPORTED your gun anywhere,then arguably there is no law that specifically prohibits it's discharge if your home and legally registered address is otherwise legal to discharge non/restricted.
Posting and reposting 19(1a) doesn't change a damn thing in this discussion.....19 is about TRANSPORTING between author used locations....full stop PERIOD!!

I'm gonna say that the "problem" here,(or IMHO benefit and loophole here) is that when C-68 was being drafted,discharging a restricted at home as in the example was a unique situation that was simply overlooked by the the legislators?
I would think that they assumed that if they made it illegal to TRANSPORT your restricted to almost anywhere other then a CFO approved range,then that would suffice to cover any place that one might discharge restricted firearms. Clearly that is not the case as per this discussion,and IMHO an oversight on their part,otherwise there would be SPECIFIC laws and regs in the FA clearly defining same and/or prohibiting discharge at places other then a CFO approved range.
Again,,,,there is no such regulation,prohibition,or relevant Section in the Act.....they dropped the ball on this one and people have recognized the loophole.
So again....if you are at home with your legally licenced and registered restricted,and you haven't violated any transport nor storage regs,and it's otherwise legal to shoot non-restricted at said location,then you haven't broken any laws.
So again for the 3rd or 4tg or umpteen dozenth time,please somebody....ANYBODY... cite the relevant Section of the FA and or CC that you would be charged with,and save your breath and bandwidth quoting Sec 19(1) once again because it is simply irrelevant,it regulates the authorized TRANSPORT of restricted firearms and does not apply here.
ANNNNNDDDD again.....I defy anybody to show me a regulation in the FA that's been violated and/or a corresponding charge under the CC that expressly forbids this alleged prohibited discharge.
I'll save you the time and effort.....there is NO SUCH REG OR LAW,therefore,it is NOT illegal.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
28 A chief firearms officer may approve the transfer to an individual of a restricted firearm or a handgun referred to in subsection 12(6.1) (pre-December 1, 1998 handguns) only if the chief firearms officer is satisfied

(b) that the purpose for which the individual wishes to acquire the restricted firearm or handgun is

(i) for use in target practice, or a target shooting competition, under conditions specified in an authorization to transport or under the auspices of a shooting club or shooting range that is approved under section 29, or

(ii) to form part of a gun collection of the individual, in the case of an individual who satisfies the criteria described in section 30.

1995, c. 39, s. 28

No where does it say shoot in your back yard off the deck our out the window of you house. Nor does it ellude to that.

It does state under ATT or auspices of a shooting club or range approved. How does that fit.

In order to transfer a restrcited you have to have one of the following reasons. One should be able to conclude that one must only shoot that firearm at an approved range.
But I am assuming because it does not specifically say Joe smith cannot shoot his restricted firearm out his farm house window that it is legal to do.

It is funny how when we need more clarification of a law the goverment always seems to add more rules. Wait for it. Comming soon "no shootng from your dwelling"
Again the Section you just posted references CFO approval for approving a transfer of a restricted or a 12(6) handgun and the conditions that must be satisfied. So if farmer Joe meets those criterion and belongs to a gun club and all that good jazz and the transfer is approved, what part of Section 28 deals with him shooting from his house/dwelling in a rural area that doesn't have any firearm discharge restrictions?

Basically the way I see it is that there is NO way they want anyone doing that and the law wasn't written with the intent to allow it, but when you cobble together 100+ pages of poorly-written legislation that controls lawful firearm ownership/use, with very little focus on criminal misuse of firearms, there are bound to be some omissions and screw ups
Old 03-19-2017, 03:46 PM

I will post it 1 more time for those that are hard in the head!

(b) if the individual

(i) changes residence,

Marginal note:Target practice or competition

(1.1) In the case of an authorization to transport issued for a reason referred to in paragraph (1)(a) within the province where the holder of the authorization resides, the specified places must include all shooting clubs and shooting ranges that are approved under section 29 and that are located in that province.

If you own a handgun in Canada, you are approved to do so for 2 reason, target practice/shooting or as part of a collection. If you choose to own for target practice then your ATT allows transport to an approved range for that purpose.

Section 1.1 states that target practice can only occur at an approved range. If your residence is an approved range, then have at it. If not then it is an offence under 86(2) C.C. for a breach of the regulations.

How's the head now?

I know I said I was done earlier but I am afraid that someone here may be silly enough to adopt your rational and find themselves in trouble.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle_monkey1 View Post
Again the Section you just posted references CFO approval for approving a transfer of a restricted or a 12(6) handgun and the conditions that must be satisfied. So if farmer Joe meets those criterion and belongs to a gun club and all that good jazz and the transfer is approved, what part of Section 28 deals with him shooting from his house/dwelling in a rural area that doesn't have any firearm discharge restrictions?

Basically the way I see it is that there is NO way they want anyone doing that and the law wasn't written with the intent to allow it, but when you cobble together 100+ pages of poorly-written legislation that controls lawful firearm ownership/use, with very little focus on criminal misuse of firearms, there are bound to be some omissions and screw ups
It is in black and white as to why you are allowed to own a Restricted/ prohibited firearm and their uses. In multiple sections, this is one it refers to

It does not matter what section of the act it is posted in, It is posted. at no time in the act does it state you can use a restricted or prohibited firearm outside of what is written.

You are giving very poor advice to which you have shown no substance on your end. Other then to troll and try to set a person up who may not know better and who takes your view of between the lines you have as law. To which they may be charged with unlawful use of a firearm along with other charges.

If you can provide any actual documentation to the difference I would be very interested. But skirting around and trying to say because it isn't transporting or it isn't transferring or borrowing that the subsections do not apply is simply wrong. They do apply as to the intent of owning the firearm.

If you want change then you need put pressure on the Government and the CFO to change the rules.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I will post it 1 more time for those that are hard in the head!

(b) if the individual

(i) changes residence,

(1.1) In the case of an authorization to transport issued for a reason referred to in paragraph (1)(a) within the province where the holder of the authorization resides, the specified places must include all shooting clubs and shooting ranges that are approved under section 29 and that are located in that province.

If you own a handgun in Canada, you are approved to do so for 2 reason, target practice/shooting or as part of a collection. If you choose to own for target practice then your ATT allows transport to an approved range for that purpose.

Section 1.1 states that target practice can only occur at an approved range. If your residence is an approved range, then have at it. If not then it is an offence under 86(2) C.C. for a breach of the regulations.

How's the head now?

I know I said I was done earlier but I am afraid that someone here may be silly enough to adopt your rational and find themselves in trouble.
Annnnddddd again .......you've proven a whole lotta nothing,as again,Section 1.1 in plain English begins "In the case of an authorization to TRANSPORT......blah blah blah
Irrelevant if you don't transport anywhere from residence.
Still don't get it do ya......who's thick??

Last edited by West O'5; 03-19-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:56 PM

Why bother asking for the applicable legislation if you are just going to dismiss it?

For anyone else reading this thread, do yourself a favor and contact a lawyer or the CFO prior to doing anything stupid.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Why bother asking for the applicable legislation if you are just going to dismiss it?

For anyone else reading this thread, do yourself a favor and contact a lawyer or the CFO prior to doing anything stupid.
Because it's NOT APPLICABLE!!
You're confusing use with transport AND use regulations.
Both Sections 1 and 19 describe uses and reasons for which you are uuthorized to transport.I maintain that transport and use are mutually exclusive,they are not one in the same.
If you don't transport the firearm,then both 1 and 19 are irrelevant in their entirety,they are transport regulations,they do not in any way shape or form address the discharge of a restricted firearm.They only presume that you would need to transport the firearm to a location such as a CFO approved range in order to discharge,and that is the gist of this entire 6 page discussion,that being that a CFO approved range may not in fact be the ONLYplace that a restricted firearm may be discharged as there is no regulation that expressly prohibits the discharge anywhere other then a CFO approved range.

THEY NEVER THOUGHT THAT ANYBODY MIGHT ACTUALLY SHOOT WITHOUT TRANSPORTING when they drafted the regs.....how hard is that for you to understand??

So THAT said......if there is NO LAW that prohibits it,what could they possibly charge you with??
I'm still waiting for ANYBODY to cite the relevant CC section that reads "unlawful discharge of a restricted firearm".

Last edited by West O'5; 03-19-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Annnnddddd again .......you've proven a whole lotta nothing,as again,Section 1.1 in plain English begins "In the case of an authorization to TRANSPORT......blah blah blah
What about section 28 which refers to reasons to transfer a firearm?

The reason "to discharge on private land is not one of them" how does that play into your reason.

The simple premise is for the individual to use the firearm within the reasons for the ATT/ Transfer acquisition.
It has been posted a few times already.

Again no one has posted up any actual proof that discharging your restricted firearm from the porch of your house is legal. But is has been posted up in reference to reasons to transport and reasons to transfer them that one must use a range..........
Direct reference to the Act would be good.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
What is so hard to understand? It is very simple. Legislation clearly says the only place a restricted firearm can be fired is at a CFO endorsed range where the discharge of restricted firearms is approved. You are not allowed to fire a restricted firearm anywhere else. How much more simple can they make it.......Has the CFO inspected, approved or licenced your kitchen window or back deck or your back forty for the legal discharge of restricted firearms? If not then you can't shoot it there. Transport laws have nothing to do with where you can shoot it. Transport laws allow you to transport the weapon to and from where it is stored to where it is legal to shoot it, and the only legal place to shoot it is at an Approved range. It is not legal to shoot it where you store it unless where your storing it happens to be an Approved range.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
What is so hard to understand? It is very simple. Legislation clearly says the only place a restricted firearm can be fired is at a CFO endorsed range where the discharge of restricted firearms is approved. You are not allowed to fire a restricted firearm anywhere else. How much more simple can they make it..
Fine,if "legislation clearly says that"/qu....cite the section of the ACT that clearly states that and settle this once and for all??
You can't.
Please don't waste your breath yet again citing regs that define where one is authorized to transport a restricted,the firearm is not being transported,its irrelevant to this argument.

Last edited by West O'5; 03-19-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:44 PM

West

Based on your "theory"......

If I transport my handgun to my gunsmith rural business which he runs out of his residence, can I test fire my hand gun inside his residence if he gives me permission?

Or if I transported to a residence for a potential sale so the potential buyer can see it prior to purchase and transfer, can I then let him test fire the handgun in his residence?

Transporting for the above scenarios are covered under my ATT, but there is no provision for using the handgun for target practice at these location, just like there is no provision for using a handgun at your residence. The only provision for usage legislated in the firearms act is for target practice at an approved range. If you want to count using a handgun for teaching purposes, then that can also be considered a usage, but while I am teaching I can not fire the handgun unless I am at an approved range.

In short, your theory is dead WRONG and it is irresponsible of you as a gun owner to be spreading this false information!
Old 03-19-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Fine,if "legislation clearly says that"/qu....cite the section of the ACT that clearly states that and settle this once and for all??
You can't.
Please don't waste your breath yet again citing regs that define where one is authorized to transport a restricted,the firearm is not being transported,its irrelevant to this argument.
It has been point out multiple times and I suggest you take it to a lawyer so that he can explain the legal interpretation and relevant case law.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:07 PM

And yet again and again and again,in all 3 examples,you cite legit reasons for which you are authorized to transport the firearm,which is not up for discussion here.

That said,just food for thought here....if in fact a person was to shoot their pistol at home,and challenge in court on the basis that there is no existing regulations that prohibits it,and rightfully so win and set the precedent,then yes,I would argue that one could also legally and by the book transport that same gun to their rural gunsmith AND fire it from his porch same as if you were home.Same with ATT for the purpose of transfer for that matter?If you were to legally transport it to a potential buyer's rural residence as is legally allowed in accordance with ATT regs,there is actually nothing that expressly prohibits him from test firing it at the stated address of transfer.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
It has been point out multiple times and I suggest you take it to a lawyer so that he can explain the legal interpretation and relevant case law.
I beg to differ,it has NOT been pointed out even once,rather you continue to cite transport regs and authorized reasons to transport a firearm,one of those being for use at a cfo approved range.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:29 PM

1995, c. 39, s. 28

Old 03-19-2017, 08:32 PM

Old 03-19-2017, 08:33 PM

So the BOLD RED words mean you can shoot out your window.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:35 PM

(b) if the individual

(i) changes residence,

This is fresh copy for you to print off and take to a lawyer, but sadly I fear once he explains it, you will argue that he is wrong and come back here and continue this nonsense; lets hope I am wrong for everyone's sake.

Have a good evening
Old 03-19-2017, 08:44 PM
Banned

Reading through this thread is like listening to a broken record. Still entertaining to read none the less

The laws will never change on this subject but I will never stop supporting the change for a stupid law that effects only responsible people. For the others the law is merely words on paper like the oldest known book collecting dust in most hotel rooms Criminals are the only people with a 90% freedom rate to do as they choose, after all what have they got to loose
Old 03-19-2017, 08:45 PM

Seriously?? Yet AGAIN with the transport regs???
WOW!!
Talk abou thick!!
Are you sure you are not Brendan and hacked your Dad's AO account,because I swear this like talking to a child.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:47 PM

Old 03-19-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
WOW!!
Talk abou thick!!
Are you sure you are not Brendan and hacked your Dad's AO account,because I swear this like talking to a child.
All I have to say is.....

(b) if the individual

(i) changes residence,

Old 03-19-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
WOW!!
Talk abou thick!!
Yes this is Brendan, I am 9 years old and in grade 4. At school they teach us not to call each other dumb, so I will say you are not very smart. I will go get my Dad now, bye.
Closed Thread