Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-14-2012, 08:39 AM

Default Baffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
OMG what can the complaint possibly be this time?
The City invested huge money into those overhead baffles...
LFGA purchased those baffles.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Pwdrbrn, the plan is to build a new range in a spot that will remain viable for a very long time, to be ready when our lease runs out in 2035.

We have started a building fund; that is why range fees went up $20 this year. If we keep this level of funding until 2035 it will only be $480,000 towards the new range. Doubtful we could even buy the land required for that at today's prices!

Unless we have a windfall (provincial / federal grant for 1/2 million) or a very generous benefactor (any landowners out there who feel the shooting sports are an integral part of our identity as Canadians/Albertans?), it will take us at least a decade to make this happen. Maybe if our city council was actually supportive, we might have a chance.

On a side note: does anyone KNOW if the Magrath range is approved as a pistol/restricted range?
You fellows don't realisticly think you will have a range in the city limits until then do you?

I was aboard member at NASA the former Commonmealth games range in Edmonton and all the old boys there thought that the city would NEVER yank their lease, and when younger members suggested that now (15 years ago) was a good time to look for a new facility, those fellows looked at you like you had no idea what you were talking about. Place has been closed for a few years now and will never re open. FS
Old 02-14-2012, 11:21 AM

We are quite aware of how tenuous our situation is with the City. We have now got to a position (with the current executive, and club membership in general) where we can move forward.

It is an absolute shame that this range will not be part of the City proper at some point in the future. I have shot at quite a few ranges in western Canada, and this facility is top notch. The fact that it is 10 minutes from the city centre makes it that much more special.

The fact is that we have a lease until 2035, and barring any safety issues (such as projectiles leaving the range property) there is no legitimate reason for the city to break the lease. In my opinion, if the city wants us to relocate (due to their shortsighted development approvals) they better be willing to help.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:57 PM

Default Stray Bullets Worrisome (Lethbridge Herald)

Thursday, 16 February 2012 02:01 May, Katie

Katie May
LETHBRIDGE HERALD
kmay@lethbridgeherald.com
The city of Lethbridge has shut down a local shooting range over stray bullet concerns. The Fish and Game Association's shooting range in Peenaquim Park closed after a Feb. 9 meeting between city administration and the Fish and Game Society wherein city officials said they had reason to believe, based on information from the Lethbridge regional police, that rifle bullets found in a northside residential area may have been fired from the range.
City council wasn't informed of the decision to close the range before it happened, but the administration plans to privately fill aldermen in at council's next meeting on Tuesday so they can decide how long the range should be closed. The matter isn't scheduled for public debate at council, but the Lethbridge Fish and Game Association has planned a public meeting for Feb. 23 to discuss the range's future.
Range manager Allan Friesen told the Lethbridge Herald that the association would not comment about the closure until it is "fully aware of the city's position."
In a Feb. 10 memo to members, Friesen encouraged the public to express their opinions about the closure and noted that the city has been supportive of the range in the past. The association was working with the city to find a new location for the shooting range, farther from residential areas, he wrote.
"Lethbridge has historically supported the rights of gun owners and the shooting sports. Your voices will be very important once again," the memo reads.
It's not the first time the city has shut down the shooting range property, which it leases to the Fish and Game Association. The most recent prior closure happened in April 2010, after a stray bullet hit a minivan in a northside neighbourhood. The range re-opened about three weeks later after police determined the bullet in question could not have reasonably been fired from the range.
Repeated temporary closures of the range give local shooters a bad name, according to a Fish and Game range member.
"The range is treated as guilty until proven innocent, and time and again it's been shown that the users of the range haven't been at fault," said Lethbridge resident Nicholas Burnham, who's been a range member for about four years.
"The fact that the range keeps getting shut down makes people think that we're the ones causing the problems when it's really not the responsible users who are using the range - it's the people that are out in the countryside shooting."
Burnham said he understands why the city feels the need to close the range in the interest of public safety before doing a full investigation, but he doesn't agree with the decision and said the city should have publicly announced the shutdown right away to give the public a chance to speak up.
The Fish and Game Association meeting on the matter is scheduled for 7 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 23 at the association's hut in Kinsmen Park on the corner of 9 Avenue and 10 Street South.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:25 PM

Thanks geezer for posting that I didnt get a chance to read the paper today
Old 02-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Banned

Anyone hear whats Lethbridge Police service stand point on this? They use this range as often as many of us do...last time I was down there they had a bunch of rookies training. Where are they training now? I realize they have to stay politically correct about the whole thing, but come on you think they would back us due to the fact they use it quit often and are the ones who started this whole stray bullet mess. If it is considered a public saftey hazard, why are they practicing down there? Is it not thier jobs to protect us from public saftey hazards? How many officers use the range for persoanl use? Anyone of them ever speak up as towards feeling that the range is unsafe? If they allow these copy cats to keep shutting are range down everyone looks bad!!! Anyways rant over..just sucks because its an awesome range and very safe and convienent for all users to shoot and have fun
Old 02-17-2012, 02:11 PM

Just a quick update folks (not much of one I am afraid).

City council is to be briefed on Tuesday (21st). The LFGA will not be discussing or making a comment on this issue until the City has provided us with their position. Although there is a General Meeting on Monday evening, the range will NOT be discussed. The situation with the range will only be discussed on Thursday night, Feb. 23rd.

Also, it appears that there are a few individuals who are demanding a refund for their LFGA/Range membership. Considering that at this point in time we do not have any details, and do not know what the City's position is, it is premature to be discussing refunds. Relax.

Instead of abandoning ship at the first drop of rain, how about stepping up and helping out? We may (or may not) have one hell of a fight coming.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:02 AM

Default Lethbridge Range Closure

Hey people...
Let's all send an email to the Lethbridge City Council and those of us who are from out of town can let them know how much we spend when we visit.

Council meeting is this coming Tuesday so let's let them know that we don't just gripe on forums... we are active... the gun registry wasn't squashed without a lot off support. They are being harassed by the anti's and need our support now so take some time and flash of a very kind email to the folks on city council in Lethbridge.

Check the LFGA website at www.lfga.org for all the information and for the city council's email addresses.

Thanks...
Old 02-18-2012, 10:31 AM

Default how sad

i just became member of fort mcmurray fish and game and was going to join leth range i have been there many times and felt safe while there. also I live above the range (when not working in fort mcmurray) with my daughter 4 and my son 1 1/2 and my fiance I have no fear or worry of a stray bullet coming in my vicinity. I have been down there many times and see nothing but the utmost care and respect by the people there.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:54 AM

Default Lethbridge Range Closure

Hi,
I just sent off my email to the members of the Lethbridge City Council and the Mayor.

Since they are having a private meeting this next Tuesday I thought you people may wish to send an email of support to them as well. It took me a long time to make my email show the positive side of the range and all of the safety stuff without pointing fingers or using foul language but I got it done. I hope they actually read their emails so I asked them all for a response and told them that I wouldn't be voting for someone who didn't answer their emails.

Their website is cumbersome so I thought I would gather their email addresses so that it can be just cut and pasted into the to box when you send an email.

Here it is:

mayor@lethbridge.ca, Joe.Mauro@lethbridge.ca, Aldermanryanparker@gmail.com, Bridget.Mearns@lethbridge.ca, Faron.Ellis@lethbridge.ca, Jeff.Coffman@lethbridge.ca, thwicker@gmail.com, Jeff.Carlson@lethbridge.ca, Liz.Iwaskiw@lethbridge.ca
Old 02-22-2012, 07:44 AM

Latest update on rang closure, I highlighted what I think could be the real reason behind the closure;

CALL TO ACTION -
RANGE REMAINS CLOSED

MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT
Attend our meeting on February 23, 2012 to discuss strategies as we approach the city regarding the future of the LFGA Range. We need you to be there. We need your continued support.

We may have to change the location of the meeting from the LFGA Cluibhouse on the corner of 9th Avenue and 10th Street if we exceed the seating capacity and we hope this will happen. Please register that you will be coming to the meeting by clicking HERE so that we can determine numbers.

Our email lists and the LFGA website will provide you with the meeting location if it changes.

Please continue to send personalized letters and emails to the Mayor and members of City Council. If you know any of of these individuals could you please phone them and find out their position on this issue. We need to fully understand what are their issues. Bring this information to the meeting and email it to us using the email addresses on our website.

Encourage others to visit our website to subscribe to our main email notification system.

LFGA RANGE CLOSURE – UPDATE
We were hoping that City Council would reopen the range after the report by city administration since there didn't seem to be a substantive argument for the range closure by city administration. Allan received a telephone call informing him that City Council wished to discuss the range closure at their next public meeting. We understand that this may be because they have been getting a lot of flack for making major decisions related to land development and sales in private meetings.

The LFGA Range will remain closed until City Council has an opportunity to deal with the range closure in a public meeting on Monday, March 5. Please put this date on your calendar, as well, because we will need everybody there to show support for range.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Banned

Default hrmff!

As a taxpayer, voter and range member, it upsets me greatly that this council feels that it can act unilaterally, without proper communication or more importantly a true specific safety issue. To use safety as an excuse to act first and talk later is not how this is supposed to work. To hear that suspicions of developer influence are coming true is frankly, sad.
I surely hope that there is a great turnout at both the LFGA meeting and the council meeting to make sure that elected councillors act with transparency and accountability to all parties at all times.
It's apparently that isn't happening here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer55 View Post
Latest update on rang closure, I highlighted what I think could be the real reason behind the closure;

CALL TO ACTION -
RANGE REMAINS CLOSED

MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT
Attend our meeting on February 23, 2012 to discuss strategies as we approach the city regarding the future of the LFGA Range. We need you to be there. We need your continued support.

We may have to change the location of the meeting from the LFGA Cluibhouse on the corner of 9th Avenue and 10th Street if we exceed the seating capacity and we hope this will happen. Please register that you will be coming to the meeting by clicking HERE so that we can determine numbers.

Our email lists and the LFGA website will provide you with the meeting location if it changes.

Please continue to send personalized letters and emails to the Mayor and members of City Council. If you know any of of these individuals could you please phone them and find out their position on this issue. We need to fully understand what are their issues. Bring this information to the meeting and email it to us using the email addresses on our website.

Encourage others to visit our website to subscribe to our main email notification system.

LFGA RANGE CLOSURE – UPDATE
We were hoping that City Council would reopen the range after the report by city administration since there didn't seem to be a substantive argument for the range closure by city administration. Allan received a telephone call informing him that City Council wished to discuss the range closure at their next public meeting. We understand that this may be because they have been getting a lot of flack for making major decisions related to land development and sales in private meetings.

The LFGA Range will remain closed until City Council has an opportunity to deal with the range closure in a public meeting on Monday, March 5. Please put this date on your calendar, as well, because we will need everybody there to show support for range.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:53 PM

We need a huge turnout at the City Council meeting on the 5th of March. Looks like it will be in the afternoon.

Please, everyone, if you can possibly attend do so. Bring your family. Let this Mayor and the city aldermen know that the behavior of the city is unacceptable.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:09 PM

Please check the LFGA website for the meeting on Thursay.Needed a bigger place for all of us to attend so it's been moved to the Sandman Hotel.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:55 PM

Default Meeting

The lfga meeting is tomorrow night Feb 23 at the sandman hotel at 7pm.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:58 PM

sandman at 7. Lfga.org
Old 02-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Banned

Default YOU need to be there

BUMPed for ACTION!
Old 02-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Banned

I can't attend, I live too far. Can I help in anyway? I've shot at your range and it's one of the best I've had the pleasure of shooting at. Can I support you thru email?
Old 02-23-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I can't attend, I live too far. Can I help in anyway? I've shot at your range and it's one of the best I've had the pleasure of shooting at. Can I support you thru email?
Sure can. Write/email the mayor and aldermen expressing your interest in the continued operation of this facility.

As far as I am concerned, anyone who uses this range should be writing.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:26 PM

I haven't tuned into this issue much, I am sorry.

How has the media coverage been so far?

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 02-23-2012, 05:27 PM

I'll be there for sure
Old 02-23-2012, 05:35 PM

"To: Mayor Dodic and Aldermen
Date: February 23rd, 2012
Re: LFGA Range Closure

It is with profound disappointment that I find myself writing this letter. I held off writing until you and City Council had a chance to respond to your staff's closure of the range after being presented with the Lethbridge Regional Police Service report. I was confident that you would see that the closure of the range was unnecessary and unwarranted and direct it to be opened. From the limited information that I have been able to gather, your decision to not reopen the LFGA Range, pending a public discussion on March 5th, is indefensible.

The process that the City of Lethbridge has undertaken relative to this matter is highly suspicious. The secrecy surrounding this issue is very problematic. You have a responsibility to the citizens and tax payers of Lethbridge, and all LFGA members to immediately release ALL information that the City has available that is associated with the closure of the range.

There are a number of questions that MUST be answered as soon as is possible (before March 5th) to avoid the City's reputation from falling into disrepute:

1) What (exactly) precipitated the closure of the LFGA range on Feb. 11th?

2) Who requested that LRPS prepare a report evaluating the occurrence of bullet "strikes" in Lethbridge? For what reason? Under whose direction was this City employee operating?

3) What does the LRPS report say? From what I understand it categorically states that no projectile (bullet) can be definitively tied to the operation of the LFGA range since 2005 - is this true? Why has the report not been made public? What is contained within the report that is not suitable for the residents who are paying for it?

4) IF no specific incident is involved and/or if a projectile has not been proven to have originated from the LFGA range, what possible reason could you have for not ordering your staff to allow the range to resume operations?

5) Has the City of Lethbridge closed the LFGA range because of the current residential development occurring just north of the range? Has the developer of the aforementioned land been in contact with City staff or individual City Council members?

6) Has there been a petition presented to the city by area residents complaining of noise? Asking for the range to be moved? Shut down? If not, then why the fishing trip (LRPS report)?

Frankly, the City of Lethbridge's impartiality is being called into question. The City MUST release the LRPS report to the public immediately. The above questions MUST be answered expeditiously. Failure to address the serious concerns of Lethbridge citizens will result in further distrust in local governmental process.

I am looking forward to hearing your timely response.

Sincerely,

Me"
Old 02-23-2012, 09:00 PM
Banned

Default LFGA Meeting

Any updates, how was the meeting? any info would for us in support but couldnt show up
Old 02-23-2012, 09:26 PM

The meeting was good. Alan had a presentation for city council he went over with us, and there was lots of good comments and suggestions (some bad ones too) Also some signs were given out at the end for us to display.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Banned

What is the real issue the city has with the range? Was this discussed at all? Any signs left over?

Last edited by Browning Sharpsh00ter; 02-23-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Banned

Default Good turnout

It was a good meeting, I'd say 150 or so folks, went on for 2+ hrs.
City had cops do a review/report on all bullets found since 2006. Sounds like the information didn't show anything particularly new, nor damning of the range, except how some of the picture/diagrams seemed to lead back to the range. Allan had already had the cops clarify this to the city, so they understand that this ISN"T what the cops meant the report to say.
Seems to me the city is using safety as an excuse to act on other interests (developers?) to see the range gone.
The Club intends to directly address the supposed safety concern in it's presentation to council (been alloted 20 mins)

City council public meeting Mar. 5th, schedule says 130, Agenda to be published Mar. 1st.

BE THERE, BRING ALL YOUR FRIENDS!

and write the council!!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:21 PM

And the last 3 bullets that have been found were steel core 7.62, hence the reason for the sign at the range entrance. We need to continue to prove that they're not coming from our range.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
I haven't tuned into this issue much, I am sorry.

How has the media coverage been so far?
They do bad, last time a found round was in the media, an sks round hit a van window and put a small chip in it, by the time media got there the window fell in and the owners put there small child in the back seat and thats how they took the pic broken window small girl in "harms" way, horrible coverage!! We are going to see about getting radio media closer to the council meeting day to express to citizens to come to the meeting in support of a safe range to use
Old 02-27-2012, 08:29 AM

Got e-mail update this morning;

Meeting Report of the February 23 Range Meeting - 182 Confirmed Members Attended -- Next City Council March 5Th.

People are telling me that the meeting was a great experience and Allan Friesen did an amazing job keeping you focused on developing something where the police, the city and LFGA will win in the end.

His presentation was a great start to something that we will be able to use in the future to let people know what we have done and what we are doing to make Lethbridge a safer place. We are so lucky he chose to be a leader in our community. You people accomplished a lot in one very short meeting and I sure hope it will make a difference.

Allan and I are in the process of revising the presentation, as you requested, and will be putting it up on our website. Your version will be much too long for our very brief 15 minute presentation to summarize in front of Council. We hope that it will be something that you can always use to show people what we are all about down at the Range.

Many thanks ....
A huge hand for all of the 182 members who attended the meeting, WOW ... on a week when many of our members and youth are out of town for Reading Week. I am so sorry I was sick and could not attend.

Allan Friesen - Range Chair and Federal Range Officer Extraordinaire What can we say... Superb

Vice-President - Ken Peterson and his wife for finding a big enough space on very short notice as our numbers grew leading up to the meeting.

Membership Chair - Sheila Ferguson for processing over 850 memberships in a very short time and providing complete lists of our members. We found out that the number of members for 2011 was up to over 1300...

Secretary - Greg Bird and his group for getting the notes on your suggestions, modifications and other input. Our history, 13 layers of safety and the contribution that this organization has made to the city is information that you can use as we continue our work to reopen the range.

Dave Warwick and Warwick Printing for instantly cranking up the press to make those wonderful posters that are going up around town and out on face book.

Nick Burnham for talking up our meeting from a member and user perspective on forums and in the press.

Gavin Brinsmead, David Green and Colter Bates the guys who checked you into the room, confirmed your memberships and provided a list of 182 names.

Keep your eye on our website for more news.

Right now we are preparing for the City Council Meeting on March 5Th so please let us know if you will be able to attend and/or just sign the petition and register even if you just wish you could be there but you have to work to pay the bills on Allan's Call to Action page on our website.
http://www.lfga.org/working/index.php/range/55-range-reports/122-range-closed-important-meeting
SO once you get to the page ...
1) Confirm you will attend.by filling out the form
2) If not, sign the petition by filling out the form

I sure hope I haven't forgot anyone who helped ... Thanks again to all of you!!! We enjoy a truly great community!

Rick Blakeley, President
Old 02-28-2012, 09:35 AM

Default Council Meeting March 5th, please plan to attend!

https://www.facebook.com/events/253279148087072/

Please use this link to invite as many folks as possible to the meeting and confirm that you can make it. This is in addition to Allan's sign up on the LFGA website - just trying to get the word out in as many forms as possible. We need to PACK THE HALL on Monday March 5th and show our support.

Hope to see you all there.