Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-16-2011, 06:08 AM

From my understanding if you work your trapline full time you can possibly qualify for an authoriztion to carry.

The key thing here in BC anyway is to have a WorkSafe BC account for the job you are doing in remote areas.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
From my understanding if you work your trapline full time you can possibly qualify for an authoriztion to carry.

The key thing here in BC anyway is to have a WorkSafe BC account for the job you are doing in remote areas.
Highly doubt it. You can not carry a firearm more than 400 pounds per foot of energy at the muzzle on your trap line.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:57 AM

Did you know that trappers can get authorization to carry handguns here in BC...

So my suggestion is to check it out with the CFC instead of just doubting.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugerlover View Post
Highly doubt it. You can not carry a firearm more than 400 pounds per foot of energy at the muzzle on your trap line.
If you download the form, registered trappers can get an ATC, can only carry while on the line though
Old 11-16-2011, 02:14 PM

MY personal opinion? Unless you've committed a violent indictable offense, there should be no restrictions on handguns, what types you can own, magazine capacity or how you can carry them. None.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boberama View Post
MY personal opinion? Unless you've committed a violent indictable offense, there should be no restrictions on handguns, what types you can own, magazine capacity or how you can carry them. None.
When did you get back????
Old 11-16-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
When did you get back????
I'm in shock myself.

Bobber, we have missed you, but been following your signature posts on other forums. You do get around... and get moved on apparently.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBB View Post
Again, I don't think it would be the legal gun owners, I just believe that more guns out in the world (availabilty) wouldn't be a good thing. I personally dont think I would want to be a cop in the US because of that....
I'm a Cop in The US and as every cop should I approach everyone as if they are armed. I don't dwell on it but you maintain your reactionary gap and first and foremost protect yourself with each and every contact you make!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun-Ter View Post
I absolutely agree.
I lived in the US (NC) for over a decade, open carry state, no license required. I use to carry my Glock to the woods mostly in the snake infested areas, chambered a snake/rat shot, I was also a participant in IDPA shooting competition and used 1000-2000 rounds of pistol ammo/week on the range.
I could carry my loaded rifle on the passenger seat, not that I did, but it was legal.
If I got pulled over by cops I told them that I was armed, pointed to my belt or the back seat. They noted, politely asked me to stay in the car while they run a check on me.
Once on the way from our hunting place to a diner one of my friend was pulled over for not wearing the seat belt. The cop saw his rifle laying against the pass. seat, he asked him if it was loaded, he said of course, there is one in the chamber too. So the cop asked him:" Do you mind if I unload it until we finish our business?" He removed the mag and the round from the chamber, but left them on the seat. That was it.
You are obliged to take a day long course if you apply for CCL, which is issued by the Sheriff (in NC). Another friend of mine carried his pistol in the center console, during a DUI checkpoint the cops were checked vehicles for open bottles and discovered his pistol. Since he did not have a CCL, he got a $50 ticket. If he would keep it in the seat or in a holster on his belt there would be no fine.
I have seen people to walk into banks while carry handguns openly. It was interesting that many banks let you in with guns meanwhile some grocery stores won't allow you to do it.
You can't carry it in school property (including the parking lot), places where drinks being sold, or where you need to purchase a ticket to get in - like movie theaters..
I'm not sure that portion of your postis accurate. for example:
Montana Code Annotated
45-8-328. Carrying concealed weapon in prohibited place -- penalty. (1) Except for legislative security officers authorized to carry a concealed weapon in the state capitol as provided in 45-8-317(1)(k), a person commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon in a prohibited place if the person purposely or knowingly carries a concealed weapon in:
(a) portions of a building used for state or local government offices and related areas in the building that have been restricted;
(b) a bank, credit union, savings and loan institution, or similar institution during the institution's normal business hours. It is not an offense under this section to carry a concealed weapon while:
(i) using an institution's drive-up window, automatic teller machine, or unstaffed night depository; or
(ii) at or near a branch office of an institution in a mall, grocery store, or other place unless the person is inside the enclosure used for the institution's financial services or is using the institution's financial services.
(c) a room in which alcoholic beverages are sold, dispensed, and consumed under a license issued under Title 16 for the sale of alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
(2) It is not a defense that the person had a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon. A person convicted of the offense shall be imprisoned in the county jail for a term not to exceed 6 months or fined an amount not to exceed $500, or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 858king View Post
This isn't Tennessee and we're not the United States, and they aren't us. If you want their laws and way of life, move there. If you feel comfortable knowing your tweaking methamphetamine neighbour has his personal gun rights protected, by all means then party on. Because in the grand ol' Opry, your criminal neighbours rights are as protected as yours, and the rule of the gun wins in a dispute.

I don't think people get that gun rules have as much to do with law breakers as they do with law keepers and the non-shooting public in general.
I'm pretty sure that State laws have statutes reguarding if someone is drunk or on drugs and using a gun. Once again MCA:
45-8-327. Carrying concealed weapon while under influence. A person commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon while under the influence if the person purposely or knowingly carries a concealed weapon while under the influence of an intoxicating substance. It is not a defense that the person had a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon. A person convicted of the offense shall be imprisoned in the county jail for a term not to exceed 6 months or be fined an amount not to exceed $500, or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar270 View Post
I tried, unfortunately based on the response from last year, I don't think they even read it. I sent a nasty letter to Mr. Oberle about the poor quality of the responses we got under Mr. Knight, and asked him to readdress some of the resolutions.

Unfortunately I think under Redford it wouldn't matter what Oberle is willing to give us, she is the woman who brought us body armor bans, and wants to drop DUI from .08 to .05. I don't see a nanny statist like that even considering allowing handgun hunting, but I hope I'm wrong..
Technically you can be under the influence and intoxicated below a .08BAC. .08 is used so that if you ARE over it you most definately ARE intoxicated.

Quote:
I'd love to carry a .40 cal Glock with me on the trap line instead of the dumb ruger .22 LR. Sucks you can't even take your handgun out to shoot it on your own property...you can only use it on a range.
a .40S&W? well I agree better than a .22LR, I'd prefer a 10mm if I was goin with a glock or move over to a .45colt .357mag or .44mag. just curious as to your reasoning.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
a .40S&W? well I agree better than a .22LR, I'd prefer a 10mm if I was goin with a glock or move over to a .45colt .357mag or .44mag. just curious as to your reasoning.
I mentioned .40 caliber because I didn't think you would need more than a .40 caliber putting coyotes, wolves, beavers or the odd Coon down. Way easier to carry a a handgun on a trap line as opposed to a rifle.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkytopBrewster View Post
If you download the form, registered trappers can get an ATC, can only carry while on the line though
What site is the form on?
Old 11-16-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
What site is the form on?
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...fs/680-eng.pdf

Note circumstance "E"
Old 11-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Banned

Trappers in AB can get a ATC while only on their line. Prior to this year the calibre carried was for protection only and therefore had to be sufficient to do the job. This year, the ATC was extended to smaller calibres that can now be used for dispatching and so now a .22cal. could be used. Only one handgun can be carried at a time. There was never a restriction regarding muzzle velocity, not here in AB, who knows what they do in the province that enabled the long gun fiasco...

PS... Keep in mind the applicant still has to jump thru a lot of hoops to obtain this ATC and should have a very clean nose..
Old 11-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I would love to be able to hunt with a hand gun, or to be able to use a small revolver to hunt partridge, dispatch game, etc.
Cat
And don't forget open beers (only the first 6...after that would be silly). Or turning off the tv. Or putting out a friends cigarette.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I mentioned .40 caliber because I didn't think you would need more than a .40 caliber putting coyotes, wolves, beavers or the odd Coon down. Way easier to carry a a handgun on a trap line as opposed to a rifle.
makes sense. I was just curious to your reasoning. Just an FYI you'd be suprised what a .40 Short an Wimpy won't put down. lol
Old 11-16-2011, 10:04 PM

I have conversion 40 S&W barrels for both my Glock 20 & Glock 29 10mm's use it for cheap practice loads.

I wouldn't even consider anything less than the 10mm for defense against wild animals or for hunting.

and yes I know a 40S&W 180gr will go thru the chest/lungs of a black bear when it is being shot while trapped in a cage.

I also know of a fellow that emptied his Glock 20 10mm mag into a grizzly and it just ran off mind you I wouldn't carry a 10mm in grizzly country either...

I take this = 4.25" Ruger SRH in 454 Casull loaded with Beartooth 405gr WLNGC's @ 1330fps and yes that is a Crimson Trace laser grip...

Old 11-16-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
Trappers in AB can get a ATC while only on their line. Prior to this year the calibre carried was for protection only and therefore had to be sufficient to do the job. This year, the ATC was extended to smaller calibres that can now be used for dispatching and so now a .22cal. could be used. Only one handgun can be carried at a time. There was never a restriction regarding muzzle velocity, not here in AB, who knows what they do in the province that enabled the long gun fiasco...

PS... Keep in mind the applicant still has to jump thru a lot of hoops to obtain this ATC and should have a very clean nose..
How many hoops?

I'm more concerned with "some" police forces that allow their Police officers to stay on the job with criminal records. How is it possible that an officer who took an oath to serve and protect is allowed to stay on the force with a criminal record?

There are 30 known police officers on a "certain" police service with criminal records.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:21 PM

Its not that hard here are a few of the steps.

1) have a RPAL
2) member of a gun club
3) download and fill out the application to carry application
4) they will send a questionare with questions asking why you need to carry a handgun over a long gun
5) shoot course of fire with club approved range officer
6) range officer write letter on club letter head what the course of fire was what distance the target etc plus what handgun was used
7) phone call interview with firearms officer that will try their best to prove that you do not need a ATC
8) get a worksafe/workmans comp account
9) send in application with $80.00 fee
10) write a self declaration letter stating you are working in remote areas or get a letter from the company that you work for stating you are working in remote areas.

Thats about it...
Old 11-17-2011, 12:10 AM

"I'm not sure that portion of your postis accurate. for example:
Montana Code Annotated
45-8-328. Carrying concealed weapon in prohibited place -- penalty. (1) Except for legislative security officers authorized to carry a concealed weapon in the state capitol as provided in 45-8-317(1)(k), a person commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon in a prohibited place if the person purposely or knowingly carries a concealed weapon in:
(a) portions of a building used for state or local government offices and related areas in the building that have been restricted;
(b) a bank, credit union, savings and loan institution, or similar institution during the institution's normal business hours. It is not an offense under this section to carry a concealed weapon while:
(i) using an institution's drive-up window, automatic teller machine, or unstaffed night depository; or
(ii) at or near a branch office of an institution in a mall, grocery store, or other place unless the person is inside the enclosure used for the institution's financial services or is using the institution's financial services.
(c) a room in which alcoholic beverages are sold, dispensed, and consumed under a license issued under Title 16 for the sale of alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
(2) It is not a defense that the person had a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon. A person convicted of the offense shall be imprisoned in the county jail for a term not to exceed 6 months or fined an amount not to exceed $500, or both. "

Fordtruckin:

I was talking about NC (North Carolina). If the banks won't post a "No firearms allowed" sign, you can carry your pistol - at least it was 4+ years ago before I moved. Surprisingly many banks are allowing entry with guns, meanwhile grocery stores don't.
Once in the BB&T bank I was in the line and there was a couple waiting with their Glocks in the holster, I knew them from the range. Right front of me there was a mother with his son and the young kid was asking: "Mom, are those people bank robbers?" Mother: " No son, I don't think bank robbers would get into line"
Old 11-17-2011, 04:38 AM

Curious, any of you guys that have handguns carry if you go to the U.S.??
tons of paperwork for you to get it across i take it?
Old 11-17-2011, 06:56 AM

a few years ago, I got rid of my hand guns because no real shooting club in my area.
really miss the s&w 29
it will probably never happen, but unrestrict all single shot that arent not prohibited would be a great beginnig
Old 11-17-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dero338 View Post
a few years ago, I got rid of my hand guns because no real shooting club in my area.
really miss the s&w 29
it will probably never happen, but unrestrict all single shot that arent not prohibited would be a great beginnig
A firearm is a firearm. Let's push for the abolishment of the ridiculous restricted list. You are right we have to start some where.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 11-17-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
A firearm is a firearm. Let's push for the abolishment of the ridiculous restricted list. You are right we have to start some where.
I personally feel the Restricted and Non Restricted labelling is ridiculous. A 12 gauge or high powered rifle is way more dangerous than a handgun.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:38 PM

Whenever something tragic happens with a gun in Canada, everyone is quick to jump on the Government for bans, prohibitions, restrictions. Look at Senator Gifford in Arizona and all those people that were shot by that psycho last winter.
What about Columbine, and tons of other incidences. Did Arizona ban handguns, and cancel permits to carry?
Just wondering why the yanks don't react like Canada does on these matters.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
. A 12 gauge or high powered rifle is way more dangerous than a handgun.
Though if that were the case they would be used more by criminals than handguns.... but they aren't.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Though if that were the case they would be used more by criminals than handguns.... but they aren't.
Not true they use hand guns cause they are easier to conceal not cause they are more powerful.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
I think he probably meant law enforcement type firearms training and drills, culminating with a proficiency test.
Yup, that;s what I meant.Basically to train up to the same standard as police officers must attain in safe handling/use and proper techniques.As well as a course outlining the legalese aspect of carrying, example being "the rules of the road" so to speak, justified use, self defense, and procedures/techniques for avoiding the use of deadly force, and proper preparedness/education to use it responsibly if you must do so.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:27 PM

So your saying a person that can't qualify to those levels should not be allowed to use a tool to defend themselves?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You can ban guns all you want, a crook is gonna get one somehow and use it, that will never change. Too many people are brainwashed into thinking handguns are bad, people are bad, they should just ban movies glorifying violence and illegal use of firearms be it handguns or whatever, people watch too much tv
Old 11-17-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
You can ban guns all you want, a crook is gonna get one somehow and use it, that will never change. Too many people are brainwashed into thinking handguns are bad, people are bad, they should just ban movies glorifying violence and illegal use of firearms be it handguns or whatever, people watch too much tv
Well said!
Old 11-18-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Exactly. All these Action movies, Rap music videos should be banned. They glorify guns and violence. Not the hunters or sportsmen. But they can't because Hollywood generates hundreds of millions. This is picking and choosing what suits politicians best. Not fair.