Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-08-2011, 04:22 PM
AvayaAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Why are you sorry that my opinion is different than yours is? Because I don't agree, I should "grow up"?
Troll comment....I am allowed an opinion without being called a troll.

Thats all.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:42 PM

i don't think rim fire ones should be restricted, so i can have one on me when im out doing yard work and see some gophers.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBB View Post
I think that handguns and their use should be kept as is. We have enough problems with crooks and whackos having access to rifles and such.
Handguns are too easy to conceal and our law enforcement agencies would be under increased threat pulling over any vehicles.

Again, its not the sportsman that would ruin things........
The crooks and whacks have all the firearms they need. How does not allowing an rpal holder to carry his handgun prevent crime?

It's time that all us legal gun owners quit letting the law treat us like criminals and start treating the GD criminals like criminals.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 11-08-2011, 04:46 PM

hate the restrictions. I would love to be able to carry in the woods...not necessarily in the city, although I would like to have the option. But I would absolutely love to have a sidearm on me while in the back country.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Cool View Post
Was my understanding that you needed a permit each and every time you transported a handgun somewhere. Maybe I have some bad information.
No it's not. Lots of Alberta ATT's are good for 5 years and for any range approved range in the province.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 11-08-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
hate the restrictions. I would love to be able to carry in the woods...not necessarily in the city, although I would like to have the option. But I would absolutely love to have a sidearm on me while in the back country.
It would be nice to have one in the back country.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:21 PM

Read books by John Lott.

Any state that has enacted concealed carry laws (usually applicants have to pass specific courses and be vetted by their local sheriff) find that violent crime of all types, dramatically decline. Who's going to mess with a potentially armed person?

I think it was Samuel Colt who said "An armed society is a polite society."

I agree.

This idea by the OP that if I had handguns, it means it's easier for criminals to get handguns because they could take mine? Load of crap. For crying out loud, if they took mine, thats another criminal act on their part. And they should pay for that when caught.

Makes alot of sense, let's ban or restrict things because someone might steal them. Idiotic thinking. I don't understand Liberals or Democrats, or anyone that agrees more with Hitler's gun laws than common sense.

That's it. I'm creating a new religion. My religious symbol, is a loaded handgun on my person (type to be determined by how I feel each day).
Old 11-08-2011, 05:23 PM
AvayaAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
The crooks and whacks have all the firearms they need. How does not allowing an rpal holder to carry his handgun prevent crime?

It's time that all us legal gun owners quit letting the law treat us like criminals and start treating the GD criminals like criminals.
Again, I don't think it would be the legal gun owners, I just believe that more guns out in the world (availabilty) wouldn't be a good thing. I personally dont think I would want to be a cop in the US because of that....
Old 11-08-2011, 05:27 PM

I would like to be able to use them at any range, and for general plinking. I would also like to be able to have them more places: I can take one from my house to a range in Edmonton, but I can't have one in a hotel or leave it in my truck? It makes things complicated and limits my options.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Again, I don't think it would be the legal gun owners, I just believe that more guns out in the world (availabilty) wouldn't be a good thing. I personally dont think I would want to be a cop in the US because of that....

Why would it matter if more guns were around? They would be in gun owners hands which means they will always be kept safe and made damn sure they are always locked up and can't be stolen. Which means they wont just be floating around waiting to get stolen.

So why wouldn't you want to be a cop in he US. you think you would get shot by law abiding people with no criminal just because they have handguns? The only people who would hurt or threaten a cop are criminals and they already have their guns.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:34 PM

[QUOTE=Rod1960;1151747]Should be no different than non restricted.
x2
Old 11-08-2011, 06:35 PM

The ridiculous restrictions on transport (and use) are more trouble and cause more problems than they're worth.

When I had my 44 mag I don't recall killing any more people just because I didn't need an ATT at the time. Packing on a hunt didn't mysteriously cause a sudden rash of hunting accidents either. In the next state over, even packing in town wouldn't have resulted in a wave of civilian casualties.

OTOH, I can certainly count the number of murders and serious injuries which took place just within a few blocks of my former downtown Alberta apartment. Mostly done with knives, vehicular rammings, and an occasional small-caliber illegal pistol.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Banned

Why don't we all quit jumping on the Merry Go Round.

The Canadian government does not want you to own a handgun since 1926.

Why? I think it is due to class and racial elements.

Canadian NDP Liberal, Communist, Nazi doctrine says that you have to have a solid heel of your hobnailed boots on the average worker citizen.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
It sounds like you have bought into the anti arguement that guns kill people. They don't. People kill people.

The difference in the murder rate between countries has less to do with the prevalence of firearms, and more to do with social issues (poverty, education, drug addiction). Iirc Finland has very high rates of firearms ownership, as well as concealed carry of handguns.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Have you ever been to the states? Seen anyone shot? Any cops shot? Anything at all shot? Anyone waving a handgun and acting crazy?

Ever see a car wreck? Maybe cars should be banned.

I hate ducks, and that is the only reason I eat ice cream.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-08-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
ducks- ice cream??!! Okay RF, you lost me!
Cat
Old 11-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
ducks- ice cream??!! Okay RF, you lost me!
Cat
I took the same logic course that BBBB did. You don't have to understand , Cat, just drink the Koolaid.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I took the same logic course that BBBB did. You don't have to understand , Cat, just drink the Koolaid.
Kool-aid??!! No, I DIDN'T drink any. OH!! I see now, no thanks , don' want no stinkin' Kool-Aid!!!
Cat
Old 11-08-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
I would like to be able to use them at any range, and for general plinking. I would also like to be able to have them more places: I can take one from my house to a range in Edmonton, but I can't have one in a hotel or leave it in my truck? It makes things complicated and limits my options.
Yes you can have it in a hotel, rented residence is deemed temporary residence. I have done it many times.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-08-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
More kool-aid would also be a bad thing...right !! Poor cops finding kool-aid victims..... You "BBBBB" have very flawed logic. eg. If it is available to hurt someone it should be restricted or banned. Give your head a shake and think it through again.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:27 PM
AvayaAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear 666 View Post
[/FONT]

Why would it matter if more guns were around? They would be in gun owners hands which means they will always be kept safe and made damn sure they are always locked up and can't be stolen. Which means they wont just be floating around waiting to get stolen.

So why wouldn't you want to be a cop in he US. you think you would get shot by law abiding people with no criminal just because they have handguns? The only people who would hurt or threaten a cop are criminals and they already have their guns.
I don't think that people that are allowed to carry firearms are all 100% good guys. Ive met a ton of people out in the bush that are not carring a full load and its legal....now we can say that they pass a test they are all okay...the guns are locked etc. I dont buy it but I respect all your opinions,
Old 11-08-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Yes you can have it in a hotel, rented residence is deemed temporary residence. I have done it many times.
Cool. I meant to ask for clarification on that point when I phoned the CFO's office yesterday, but I forgot. I will ask for clarification on that point, and a few others, when I next phone them.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I don't think that people that are allowed to carry firearms are all 100% good guys. Ive met a ton of people out in the bush that are not carring a full load and its legal....now we can say that they pass a test they are all okay...the guns are locked etc. I dont buy it but I respect all your opinions,
Does that go for Drivers as well? Do away with cars because some idiots can't drive?

Old 11-08-2011, 07:48 PM
AvayaAce

Quote:
Have you ever been to the states? Seen anyone shot? Any cops shot? Anything at all shot? Anyone waving a handgun and acting crazy?

Ever see a car wreck? Maybe cars should be banned.

Yep, been to the US many times

Seen anyone shot...hmmm, no

Seen anyone waving a gun.....YES NY robbery

Yes I have seen a car wreck

Cars are essential, handguns are not

The duck thing, well, that might be the reason u shouldnt own a handgun
Old 11-08-2011, 07:50 PM
AvayaAce

Quote:
Does that go for Drivers as well? Do away with cars because some idiots can't drive?
Thanks for clearing up my point. They have a valid drivers license but can't drive or it makes a person wonder how they got their license.
A person then may have a valid carry permit...are they all there??
Old 11-08-2011, 07:51 PM
AvayaAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywiththemule View Post
More kool-aid would also be a bad thing...right !! Poor cops finding kool-aid victims..... You "BBBBB" have very flawed logic. eg. If it is available to hurt someone it should be restricted or banned. Give your head a shake and think it through again.
I will give it some more thought.....thx
Old 11-08-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Yep, been to the US many times

Seen anyone shot...hmmm, no

Seen anyone waving a gun.....YES NY robbery

Yes I have seen a car wreck

Cars are essential, handguns are not

The duck thing, well, that might be the reason u shouldnt own a handgun
Both alcohol and tobacco kill more people than guns in Canada. Since neither are essential, should we ban them?
Old 11-08-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
Read books by John Lott.

Any state that has enacted concealed carry laws (usually applicants have to pass specific courses and be vetted by their local sheriff) find that violent crime of all types, dramatically decline. Who's going to mess with a potentially armed person?

I think it was Samuel Colt who said "An armed society is a polite society."

I agree.

This idea by the OP that if I had handguns, it means it's easier for criminals to get handguns because they could take mine? Load of crap. For crying out loud, if they took mine, thats another criminal act on their part. And they should pay for that when caught.

Makes alot of sense, let's ban or restrict things because someone might steal them. Idiotic thinking. I don't understand Liberals or Democrats, or anyone that agrees more with Hitler's gun laws than common sense.

That's it. I'm creating a new religion. My religious symbol, is a loaded handgun on my person (type to be determined by how I feel each day).
I absolutely agree.
I lived in the US (NC) for over a decade, open carry state, no license required. I use to carry my Glock to the woods mostly in the snake infested areas, chambered a snake/rat shot, I was also a participant in IDPA shooting competition and used 1000-2000 rounds of pistol ammo/week on the range.
I could carry my loaded rifle on the passenger seat, not that I did, but it was legal.
If I got pulled over by cops I told them that I was armed, pointed to my belt or the back seat. They noted, politely asked me to stay in the car while they run a check on me.
Once on the way from our hunting place to a diner one of my friend was pulled over for not wearing the seat belt. The cop saw his rifle laying against the pass. seat, he asked him if it was loaded, he said of course, there is one in the chamber too. So the cop asked him:" Do you mind if I unload it until we finish our business?" He removed the mag and the round from the chamber, but left them on the seat. That was it.
You are obliged to take a day long course if you apply for CCL, which is issued by the Sheriff (in NC). Another friend of mine carried his pistol in the center console, during a DUI checkpoint the cops were checked vehicles for open bottles and discovered his pistol. Since he did not have a CCL, he got a $50 ticket. If he would keep it in the seat or in a holster on his belt there would be no fine.
I have seen people to walk into banks while carry handguns openly. It was interesting that many banks let you in with guns meanwhile some grocery stores won't allow you to do it.
You can't carry it in school property (including the parking lot), places where drinks being sold, or where you need to purchase a ticket to get in - like movie theaters..
You can't buy guns legally in the US if you have been convicted in any gun or drug related crime or you have a documented mental health issue. Note: air and black powder rifles or handguns are not considered guns in the US, you can buy them off of the shelf.
NICS check is the first thing to do when a person want to buy a gun in a store. It takes few minutes - even at the first time, than in most states you walk out from the store with your gun.
In those states where the Castle Law was reinstated the crime rate dropped significantly.
Take a look at NY city or LA, where the gun control is on the highest liberal level. The crime rate is also high because it's hard to get guns in the legal way, meanwhile most criminals carry, they have easy access to full auto guns too.
In my opinion firearms are nothing more than tools to get a game, sporting goods for target shooting, weapons for self defense or accessory in a criminal act. Everyone has a brain to choose his/her own purpose, act responsibly and pay the price if not.
The thing is, as long as criminals have access to guns to commit crimes, a bear or cougar can eat you while you are hiking, it would be nice to be able to defend your life or property legally.
At least as long as an RCMP or F&W officer won't fit in your holster, eh?
Old 11-08-2011, 08:09 PM
AvayaAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Both alcohol and tobacco kill more people than guns in Canada. Since neither are essential, should we ban them?
I wasn't aware that handguns were banned? More of something isn't always a good thing
Old 11-08-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
SSSHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Don't give them any ideas.
But, the gov't gets to much tax money on booze and tobacco. Likely won't have to worry.