Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-06-2018, 03:40 PM

Default Used reloading equipment. PRICES

Wondering what you guys are typically paying for used loading equipment compared to retail for new stuff.

Story is I have been looking for a used RCBS trimmer for a few years now...( I have one already but would like a second to mount my case neck turning tool to permanently) it's not really a must have as I have both the rcbs and Redding case cutting lathes but I prefer the rcbs which is why I'm looking for another....
Any ways I was in a LGS and noticed an old rcbs cutter on the counter with a bunch of other old rcbs loading equipment.

First thing I noticed was the amount of rust on the cutting mandrel.( didn't seem like it was pitted yet but the whole thing was covered in rust. The mandrel handle was missing as were all but 2 pilots and one case holding plate.( no biggie I already have the plates for my other one and since I'll be using it for the neck Turner I don't need any pilots.

Closer inspection revealed the cutter head was full of chips and nicks...again for my use no biggie

I figured a crank handle would be 1 hour to make and another hour or two cleaning it up and bingo.....

I asked the owner what he wanted for it. His reply was he wanted to sell all the stuff as a package...
Ok I'm not interested in any of the other junk ( looked like it was stored in a cardboard box under water for the last year or so...) and was about to walk

He looks at me and says well....i can let that one piece go for 100$ but that's the lowest I'll go as a new one is about 230$....

I almost choked. I pointed out all the issues with it and if a guy was to buy it to use as a case trimmer he would need to put about 150$ into it and still spend 1-2 hours cleaning and getting rid of the rust...

My thoughts were closer to 25-40$ in that condition but he wouldn't budge...

He also had another box of rcbs equipment that he admitted was used buy the guy for 20years ( so it's good stuff:-) it was a progressive press and assorted old scales and such probably 5 pesos so. Again all rusty and covered in 20 years of grime.. he was looking for 1300$ for the box....

No clue if all the pieces were even there but he looked at all the equipment at new retail price and came up with a # accordingly....he even admitted he wasn't a reloader and wasn't sure how to use the stuff....if he didn't know how to use it how does he know if it's even complete sets? Or if any of the stuff even works? The two beam scales I saw in the box were just dropped loose and had other bits thrown on top of them good luck getting them to weigh properly

Are there actually folks that would pay close to 50% or better for broken down old scrap that to get them up to snuff would cost them more than buying new??

Do you guys buy older used stuff? What kind of prices do you pay for older mint /, older good, older/ run hard put away wet used equipment?..

Guess I'll keep looking for a good deal on a case trimmer in the mean time:-)
Old 09-06-2018, 04:50 PM

When a guy's price is over the top , just walk along.
Same with overpriced guns. Worn, rusty, at 80% of new, not happening, not even interested.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:24 PM

I have looked for used reloading stuff in the Calgary area and only found a smattering here or there. I buy a ton of stuff used and this scarcity usually means deals on either end of the spectrum as a smaller pool of buyers and sellers can result in more drastic price variations than say a tablesaw.

That being said, incomplete rusty anything should go for a song if that item has no vintage value. But, if it is all you need and you have no intention to resell in the near future 50% off is 50% off.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:27 PM

Another thing... a store cannot afford to sell at Kijiji prices and if you look at the incomplete gun stuff at Cabelas Bargain room this item would likely be priced in the same ballpark.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:55 PM

Used reloading gear in excellent condition should generally not be worth more than 70% of new price, with discounts from there, according to condition.
Some people price stuff far too high and then bump their ad 20 times.........

RCBS, Dillon and perhaps other companies have very good warranties, but you still have to contact them, wait for replacements, etc.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
Another thing... a store cannot afford to sell at Kijiji prices and if you look at the incomplete gun stuff at Cabelas Bargain room this item would likely be priced in the same ballpark.
This shop is also is a pawn shop. If the guy took it in at a price where he needs 100$ back to make any thing he's obviously out to lunch. As said it's over 150 in parts needed just to be a complete set. Plus time cleaning it up.

I'm ok if he sits on it for ever....the other kit he's got there has been there over two years but he's stuck on selling as a lot.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:09 PM

Good used hand loading equipment is pretty easy to find on Ebay and Kijiji. Depending on make you will pay anywhere from 30 to 80-% of new. RCBS. Dillon and Redding have lifetime warranty on their stuff so anything wrong with it they will make good. It therefore sells for more money than the makers who don't back their stuff.

In 1968 new RCBS 243 dies cost $28. Today they are about $35. Today's are more accurate and very well built so in overall terms, reloading gear is much cheaper today, and far more available, than it was 50 years ago. Buying good used presses and dies will save you a little money, but if you shoot a lot, you can make up the difference to new pretty fast if you have to look for months to find a good deal. I have bought the majority of my loading gear new because of the relative scarcity of good used and because I know I can resell it for near what I bought it for so why wait.

Check out CGN, they have a lot of good used reloading gear for sale pretty much all the time.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Good used hand loading equipment is pretty easy to find on Ebay and Kijiji. Depending on make you will pay anywhere from 30 to 80-% of new. RCBS. Dillon and Redding have lifetime warranty on their stuff so anything wrong with it they will make good. It therefore sells for more money than the makers who don't back their stuff.

In 1968 new RCBS 243 dies cost $28. Today they are about $35. Today's are more accurate and very well built so in overall terms, reloading gear is much cheaper today, and far more available, than it was 50 years ago. Buying good used presses and dies will save you a little money, but if you shoot a lot, you can make up the difference to new pretty fast if you have to look for months to find a good deal. I have bought the majority of my loading gear new because of the relative scarcity of good used and because I know I can resell it for near what I bought it for so why wait.

Check out CGN, they have a lot of good used reloading gear for sale pretty much all the time.
I'm in no real rush to get the trimmer as I already have three different trimmers. It's just that I like the rcbs one best and my neck Turner is also for that unit..if I found one for a decent price I would buy. I sure rather pay retail for a new one than 50% of retail for half of one that's a dirty rusted mess.
I'm not new to reloading in any way but have always bought my equipment new, and have never sold anything so I'm not too familiar with used prices on things.
I could see paying 100$ for it if it was rust free and cleaned up so it at least looked like it had been cared for.
As for the missing parts rcbs might replace the crank handle that's Mia but all the pilots and the cutter head are probably seen as consumables and new owner would need to replace with new parts which will retail close to 150$

I'll just keep my eyes open...might even just get one of the hornady neck turners to sit on my bench instead
Old 09-07-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
This shop is also is a pawn shop. If the guy took it in at a price where he needs 100$ back to make any thing he's obviously out to lunch. As said it's over 150 in parts needed just to be a complete set. Plus time cleaning it up.

I'm ok if he sits on it for ever....the other kit he's got there has been there over two years but he's stuck on selling as a lot.
I have never had luck in pawn shops either, the prices are out to lunch in general. Also, too much bad juju of desperation.