Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-29-2018, 07:31 PM

Default Reloading 300 win mag

I bought a browning A-bolt in 300 win mag a few years back. It had their boss system muzzle break on it. I cut that off and crowned the barrell and it’s been sitting in the safe ever since.

I picked up a couple boxes of 168gr Berger classic hunters for my .308 and am interested in seeing how they shoot in the 300. Does anyone have any experience with reloading and shooting them in a 300 win mag?
I have lots of H1000, IMR4064 and 4340, Varget, 7828SSC, and H380. I’m never opposed to buying more powder, or anything related to guns, but if you have something that works with what I listed that would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2018, 08:02 PM

Re loading manuals are your best friend....WHY would you trust your life to a vague answer from someone on the internet...30-50 bucks is cheap insurance.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:20 PM

Myself I would be shooting a heavier bullet out of a 300wm, 180-200 gr. With H1000 or Reloader 22.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Re loading manuals are your best friend....WHY would you trust your life to a vague answer from someone on the internet...30-50 bucks is cheap insurance.

Lol I have 3 reloading manuals, but they don’t and can’t cover every possible bullet, powder and primer combination. We as a group of enthusiasts have more knowledge and information than any book will ever have.
If you don’t know enough to see something wrong with a strangers recipe, you should stick to the books.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Myself I would be shooting a heavier bullet out of a 300wm, 180-200 gr. With H1000 or Reloader 22.

Agreed. My go to is a load I’ve used in the past is a 180gr with H1000.
I’m just curious if someone has had luck with the lighter bullets.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:51 PM

A very accurate load is a good shot of RL22 with 180 grain nosler partition or accubond.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:21 AM

I agree that you should shoot a heavier bullet. A 168 is better suited in a 308 or 30-06. H1000, Fed GM 215 match, 215 gr Berger. This is about as close to perfection in the 300 Win Mag as you can get. From close to WAAAAY out there this combo is deadly. I won't list my load as the gun is a full custom including the reamer I used. But myself and a friend have loaded a few factory rifles using these components and they all shot great. As long as the Browning has at least a 10 twist you will be ok. Start them at 30 to 40 thou off and work your way up in charge weight.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:28 AM

You'll find this helpful 58.

It's a good starting platform as you can mix and match different combinations of bullets to powders.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Enter the bullet you'ld like to use
Brand of powder
Type of powder, and away you go.

You will have good success with the H1000 if your plan is to use what you have on hand.
Not sure if you have any IMR or H 4350 or 4831,,, they are really friendly when working with the large volume cases.

I my self stay away from Varget when I get into cases larger then 30/06 using bullets heavier then 150gr's.

This is not saying that other folks might have better luck using faster burning powders in large cases then me.

You'll have lots of fun running the Berger 168's.

I liked the 130's for my 300 Mag when predator Harvesting. Ha.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:52 AM

Those 168 bergers will rock.

My hunting partner is into the 150 gr bullets after he step down from 180's, the 168's and now the 150's.

He's been tipping over Elk, Moose and Deer with out any glitches for 60 + years,,, he shot a nice 4x5 Elk last year.

Took him a few shots, the Elk was pretty much done on the first hit, the trick for him was to stop it from making it to tree line. Ha.

Yuppers, I'm giving the lighter bullets a run this year in my new pipe.

Everything is up close and personal in our Harvesting world, that's the fun part of playing with different bullets.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58kcirtap View Post
Lol I have 3 reloading manuals, but they don’t and can’t cover every possible bullet, powder and primer combination. We as a group of enthusiasts have more knowledge and information than any book will ever have.
If you don’t know enough to see something wrong with a strangers recipe, you should stick to the books.

6.5 shooter was correct, dont dismiss what he said
Old 08-31-2018, 07:20 AM

Sometimes loading manuals don't include all the powder loading recipes for a given cartrage.

Many examples of this are easy to see between different powders for cartrages that are close in case capacities.

So "some" folks step out side of these boundaries because they have powder combinations in their possession that can substitute for other uses.

One would think that many folks that reload their own cartrages have stepped out-side the norm a few times.

Purhaps this is why the reloading data books include different powders for the same bullet, case, and primer combinations.

Of course there are some combinations that work better than others, this we won't know until we experiment a bit.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
6.5 shooter was correct, dont dismiss what he said

I’m not dismissing it, but suggesting it be wrong to consider a “strangers” load data that isn’t in a book as a viable option is close minded.
Knowledge and experience should, and needs to be openly shared and discussed.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:09 PM

Default Reloading 300 win mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Sometimes loading manuals don't include all the powder loading recipes for a given cartrage.

Many examples of this are easy to see between different powders for cartrages that are close in case capacities.

So "some" folks step out side of these boundaries because they have powder combinations in their possession that can substitute for other uses.

One would think that many folks that reload their own cartrages have stepped out-side the norm a few times.

Purhaps this is why the reloading data books include different powders for the same bullet, case, and primer combinations.

Of course there are some combinations that work better than others, this we won't know until we experiment a bit.

Someone always has to jump first.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:49 PM

Default Have the exact same set up!

Hey there, I have the A Bolt with BOSS system too. I loaded Noslers, etc but now I found Hornady SST are the bullet it loves...tight groups...150, 165 and 180 gr perfect
Old 08-31-2018, 07:09 PM

From everything I have been able to ascertain, the 300 performs excellent with a heavier bullet with a slower burning powder. Lighter 30 cal bullets perform better in the smaller cased cartridges (308, 30-06)

HOWEVER

At the end of the day, it is all dependant on what you prefer to use, and how your rifle shoots it. My 300 hates 150-180 grain billets, but shines at 200+ my FIL can only shoot 150 grain bullets in his 300, everything else shoots erratic.

My advice, test as much as you can to see what works best ($$$ I know)

2c
Old 08-31-2018, 07:31 PM

I tried the IMR 4064 with 150gr bullets in my 30/06 as recommended in the book,,, no matter what charge I threw at, it just wasn't working,,, so I switched to the next lower burn rate powder. Bingo,,, the bullets started grouping with out alot of work.

Our Reloader fellow in our area "suggested" an idea since I run the mid-size "large" case, and a medium size in my other rifle.

This is "NOT" a written in stone idea.
Faster burn rate smaller cases, medium rate medium case, and slower rate larger cases.
I'm not sure why he suggested this,,, but it seems to be working for me.

Purhaps the volume of the case size makes a difference, I can see the benefits of faster burn in my small case since there isn't alot of powder in it to get the bullet up to speed.
I guess a slower burn rate in it will not finish the burn as the bullet leaves the barrel.

One thing I know, IMR 4064 in my 30/06 sure makes the rifle kick hard. Ha,,, not as brutal as the IMR or H 4350 or 4831,,, those 2 powders tamed things down alot.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I’m not dismissing it, but suggesting it be wrong to consider a “strangers” load data that isn’t in a book as a viable option is close minded.

Yup you spend a thousand bucks on a rifle, a couple thousand more on a scope, then you spend a couple thou on a reloading outfit..then a couple more thou on a computer. So you can ask strangers what is the best way to lose an eye...
But hey I am closed minded for suggesting you go buy a couple books and get off your lazy ass and learn a few things about your new hobby?????
Got it, thanks for your open minded opinion.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:05 PM

I had good results with 77grs Reloader 22 and 150gr Barnes TSX out of my TC Encore Pro Hunter.
Dropped me an Ontario moose.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:13 AM

I have a beauty recipe for a 180 gr. TSX. Personally I wouldn't shoot a 168 gr. from a 300, but that's me.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:

There are lots of bad people in the world to trust with such a thing, lots of reloading sites will remove a post if there is anything other than data from known source ie nosler Speer books or sites due to liability of injury. Is it sad to think like this,,,sure it is,,but it is a sad truth. All the tin hat folks think green peace is applying for draws to save animals is it unrealistic to think anti gun people would not post bad reload data? Obviously its your choice to reload with that data and theirs to post it. The world is full of good people and bad people, luck of the draw which one gives you the data. Good luck and where good glasses, maybe Kevlar on the rest of your face.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I bought a browning A-bolt in 300 win mag a few years back. It had their boss system muzzle break on it. I cut that off and crowned the barrell and it’s been sitting in the safe ever since.

I picked up a couple boxes of 168gr Berger classic hunters for my .308 and am interested in seeing how they shoot in the 300. Does anyone have any experience with reloading and shooting them in a 300 win mag?
I have lots of H1000, IMR4064 and 4340, Varget, 7828SSC, and H380. I’m never opposed to buying more powder, or anything related to guns, but if you have something that works with what I listed that would be nice.

H1000, IMR 7828, any of the 4350 types are very good for the 300.
Pick up a box of 180 or 200 grain Nosler Partitions and leave the light weight Bergers for the stuff you don't want to eat.
I have my own set of guide lines to go by for 30 caliber, for the 308 Win, the heaviest I will go is 165 grain, the 30-06 is best with 180 grain, the 300 Win is best with 190 to 220 grainers.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:36 PM

Default Heavy and hogdon

Hi I have the predecessor to your abolt, the bbr in 300wm. I tried as low as 168 and as high as 208gn. I also played with most of the powders you mentioned. I did not have great luck with the lighter bullets. I ended up with the hornady 208gn ELD backed with H1000 (about 2 gns back from max according to the Hornady manual). This gave 1/4” groups consistently.

I don’t mind one bit to offer load ideas to you as I know people benefit when considering others loads and experiences. After all, that is kind of the purpose of these forums isn’t it?

Good luck and have fun!