Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-12-2022, 09:10 AM

Default ATT still automatically applied?

Quick question for the restricted experts (just finishing up the purchase of my first restricted with one of our esteemed members here) Just to confirm, are the ATT conditions still automatically being applied as part of your RPAL when the transfer after a new purchase goes through?

I thought I had to apply for a separate ATT after I received the confirmation of the transfer and registration from the CFO.

But as stated on the transfer document, on the email I received with it, and on the Govt website........

"This is to inform you that your application to register the
following firearm(s) has been processed. You may take
possession of them now."

"As per Bill C42, your Authorization to Transport within your province of residence conditions are now attached to your license."

"Authorization to transport to a shooting range or to home after purchase remains automatic"

So my understanding then is I don't need a separate ATT application unless I was taking it to a smith or show or the fuzz as per the new regs below.

"Re-instatement of requirement to apply for an authorization to transport restricted and prohibited firearms to a gunsmith, gun show, port of entry, and police or peace officer.
This amendment came into force on July 7, 2021
."

Thanks for any insight you might have........
Old 04-12-2022, 10:16 AM

Yes, you are correct. You should have received a letter from the RCMP last July (2021) informing you of the changes to your firearms license conditions. It states in that letter that "Transport of a newly acquired firearms and/or prohibited firearms from the place of acquisition to the licence holder's dwelling house or other place authorized by the chief firearms officer."

This paper with the conditions on it is supposed to be carried with your firearms license. I am not lecturing here, just informing you as many people are unaware of this.

The other thing to be aware of is you cannot transport your newly acquired restricted firearm to a gun range until you have possession of the actual registration certificate for the restricted firearm. Hope this helps, have a good day...
Old 04-12-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Country Hunter View Post
Yes, you are correct. You should have received a letter from the RCMP last July (2021) informing you of the changes to your firearms license conditions. It states in that letter that "Transport of a newly acquired firearms and/or prohibited firearms from the place of acquisition to the licence holder's dwelling house or other place authorized by the chief firearms officer."

This paper with the conditions on it is supposed to be carried with your firearms license. I am not lecturing here, just informing you as many people are unaware of this.

The other thing to be aware of is you cannot transport your newly acquired restricted firearm to a gun range until you have possession of the actual registration certificate for the restricted firearm. Hope this helps, have a good day...
Thanks for the info Back Country. I never got the first letter as all though I've had my RPAL for years, this is my first restricted purchase so there wouldn't have been need to send me the letter.

I'll assume I'll get the letter with the registration cert, and hold off on going to the range until i get the registration cert........ all good info. And if the letter stating the conditions doesn't show I'll follow up with the AB CFO.

Just good to know I was correct with my assumptions on the ATT. These gov't regs are no 100% clear at times....

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2022, 01:42 PM

If it’s your first restricted you will probably actually get a new card, it will have the att conditions attached.
Old 04-12-2022, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerfan View Post
If it’s your first restricted you will probably actually get a new card, it will have the att conditions attached.
Ya I was wondering about that, as I noted some had the the same experience on some previous posts on here (new card shipped)........... I'll updated the thread with how it shakes out.

In the mean time hopefully my first 9mm arrives for the weekend so I can spend the weekend cleaning it and getting familiar!

As a side note, props to Twisted Canuck. He's been nothing but great and upstanding and helpful to deal for a new restricted shooter like myself! I thought it might be easier to purchase directly from a dealer initially, but Twisted steered me straight, I learned a bunch and will soon be making proper use of that range membership!
Old 04-12-2022, 03:33 PM

Props accepted.

And, it's always a pleasure to help out somebody new to firearms / restricted. You are starting out with a good quality and affordable gun, and that's the way to do it.

Not pointing the finger at anybody who shoots a TT-33 or Norinco......ok, yes I am.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone