Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-26-2011, 08:18 PM

Default "Bow of Choice??"

"Bow of Choice ?"

Hello all !!

I am looking at buying my first bow this year, and would like to get some feedback on prefrences and makes and models. I have used a cross bow for years, but am looking forward to the excitment of a compound this fall.

Thanks in advance !!

Tika Big T
Old 01-26-2011, 08:29 PM

well first of all welcome to the board !!

The best advice anyone can give you is first set a budget , then go to your local achery shop , shoot every available bow they carry , or got to a few shops and try them all out !!! see what one feels the best in your hands and the most comfortable for you ..

at the end of the day brand names dont matter cause all the bows produced today are great ..

Have fun shopping and goodluck

mamba,
Old 01-26-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
well first of all welcome to the board !!

The best advice anyone can give you is first set a budget , then go to your local achery shop , shoot every available bow they carry , or got to a few shops and try them all out !!! see what one feels the best in your hands and the most comfortable for you ..

at the end of the day brand names dont matter cause all the bows produced today are great ..

Have fun shopping and goodluck

mamba,
great advice,you wont know till you shoot a few bows what will fit you the best.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:39 PM

I totally agree that you should shoot a bunch of bows, but don't shoot every one they have. Shoot the ones in your price range, and that's after you include the arrows, rest, quiver, sight, set up, release, points and broadheads, etc. You'll spend $xxx on the bow and more than that again getting it outfitted for hunting.

There is nothing worse than falling in love with a bow and then find out when your credit card is out that it's $300 more than you wanted to spend! But don't sweat it, there are many really excellent compounds that you can get a passable hunting kit with (minus arrows) for less than $1000.00.

I have a mid-range bow myself, a PSE Brute. It's compact, very light, has reasonable let off. It also has good velocity and is quiet. When I first started using it I was amazed at how quiet it is, even more so with a dampener. All I can hear for the most part is the slap of the arrow when it hits the target. Got it at the Calgary Archery Center, I'm not sure if they carry it any more.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:59 AM

X4 on going to the store and shoot a bunch of bows and pick a brand/make that fells really good and smooth. One thing is for sure, don't cheap out on the accesseries (sights, rest, release, etc). In the long run you get what you pay for.

One option i would consider is talk to the store owner and find out what your draw length is, and remember the stats of the bows (brands) that you liked (ie, let off weight, axle length, single cam or dual cam, draw weight, etc). A lot of guys like to trade in their 2-3 year old bows to upgrade to new ones. Most cases the 2-3 year old bows are private sales and you can get some really good deals on the bow and accesseries. If you shoot a bunch of brands in the store then you would know what brand to look for, and what draw length you need. Then take the bow back to the store and spend a little money with to help set up your bow to fit you (draw length, set the pins, anchor point, peep site, etc).
Old 02-03-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabaner View Post
X4 on going to the store and shoot a bunch of bows and pick a brand/make that fells really good and smooth. One thing is for sure, don't cheap out on the accesseries (sights, rest, release, etc). In the long run you get what you pay for.

One option i would consider is talk to the store owner and find out what your draw length is, and remember the stats of the bows (brands) that you liked (ie, let off weight, axle length, single cam or dual cam, draw weight, etc). A lot of guys like to trade in their 2-3 year old bows to upgrade to new ones. Most cases the 2-3 year old bows are private sales and you can get some really good deals on the bow and accesseries. If you shoot a bunch of brands in the store then you would know what brand to look for, and what draw length you need. Then take the bow back to the store and spend a little money with to help set up your bow to fit you (draw length, set the pins, anchor point, peep site, etc).
Good advice on the used bows. The used bows at CAC sometimes look practically brand new. I imagine a rich person deciding he wanted to shoot bow and going out and buying a high end bow only to discover after using it a couple times that it's not for him.

Got to make sure they get a careful inspection from a GOOD bow tech though. You never know how something was treated before you got it, i.e. dry fired, dropped, modified, etc