Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-10-2018, 07:36 PM

Default Preserving velvet

Got my first deer with my bow and it happens to be my biggest and my first Velvet buck. I’m doing a euro mount but I was reading I should have tried to get the blood out of the antlers. It’s 10 days old now so I’m guessing that ship has sailed. Anyone else with experience in this? I’ll post some pics when I get hone. I’ve got s new phone and I can’t seem to upload photos anymore.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:50 PM

We used to shoot formaldehyde into the veins and let them hang upside down pop a hole in the tips and let them drain

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2018, 08:25 PM

I put mine in the freezer for a few months with borax powder. That was a few years back and velvet looking good. Horns were pretty hard, but is a full velvet buck.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2018, 10:16 PM

Ya I did a lot of Reading about injecting the antlers but no one gives a timeframe on how soon it has to be done after your shot him. As of now the velvet hasn’t changed at all since I shot him. I will look into the freezing thing, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2018, 10:20 PM

This is my first euro mount as well but I feel like it looks good so far. Now I just need to clean it up a bit more and try and whiten it up. Finally step is the hardest, trying to convince the wife to let me keep it in the house

Old 09-12-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capper View Post

Ya I did a lot of Reading about injecting the antlers but no one gives a timeframe on how soon it has to be done after your shot him. As of now the velvet hasn’t changed at all since I shot him. I will look into the freezing thing, thanks!

We always injected the Caribou within 8 or 10 hours I'm guessing seem to work good

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2018, 04:47 PM

The taxidermist I used for mine said he used a spray.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:46 PM

Default Road kill buck in velvet - methanol.

I bought a syringe at peavy mart and tried injecting methanol in the tips. Worked with some success but i dont know how well as it was in the ditch a bit. You could tell it wasnt fresh as i had some blow out the side. So i took a Rubbermaid that seals set the antlers in and poured a couple litres or a gallon overtop. Sealed the lid up.

Each day i would scoop a bit up and pour over the antlers. Did this for a couple weeks. No issues. The Methanol takes out water. When i figured that was enough i lightly sprinkled Borax over top of everything.

Be aware of the flammability of the methanol and the vapours when u lift the lid not to inhale. Its best outdoors to open.

In Sask u need to take photos and submit to game warden proving u didnt poach. It was obvious with broken legs. Paid $10 for a permit that stays with the antlers.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, im trying the freezer and the borex powder.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:16 PM

Generously apply borax all over the velvet. Trying to get the skin of the velvet with it not just the hair. Leave in a cool dry place to dry for a couple weeks. Then brush off or blow off with air hose. Velvet should set onto the bone and not be able to wiggle it or twist it separate from the antler.

Apply it a few times over a couple weeks if needed. It will dry better if not in the freezer.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:20 AM

Pure turpentine...hang the antlers upside down, poke holes with a pin in the tips to let it drain...setup a fan...take a can full of pure turpentine and dip each antler tip in it. Then pack borax on it and let the fan dry it out. OR freeze dry it....leave it in a freezer with borax packed on it for an extended period of time.

LC