Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-29-2014, 10:01 AM

Good place to shoot in central alberta. Very friendly bunch of folks that shoot there. If you are in the neighbourhood lefty drop me a line and we can meet up for a round of nock nock. I still make my weekly run to Jimbows or T&T to shoot with the guys up in the edmonton area.

Cheers, Elk
Old 12-29-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoholik View Post
Good place to shoot in central alberta. Very friendly bunch of folks that shoot there. If you are in the neighbourhood lefty drop me a line and we can meet up for a round of nock nock. I still make my weekly run to Jimbows or T&T to shoot with the guys up in the edmonton area.

Cheers, Elk
Sounds good man! Have MB or EM drop me a text when you are up I'll pm my cell to you.

LC
Old 01-01-2015, 09:50 PM

Haven't been able to shoot for a while because of the break. Tomorrow is my day. Have to go back to work on Saturday so I'm coming in to fling sticks all day tomorrow. Might try some maxima red 350s. I've heard they r a good arrow. Is anyone else using them
Old 01-05-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
Haven't been able to shoot for a while because of the break. Tomorrow is my day. Have to go back to work on Saturday so I'm coming in to fling sticks all day tomorrow. Might try some maxima red 350s. I've heard they r a good arrow. Is anyone else using them
Maximas are a good arrow but if your chopping some off it affects the dual spine and slightly reduces its effects.

To get back to the original post, I am so glad to see some professional archery shops filling the void that has been in edmonton. I used to have to only go to trophy book and they used to be good but now it's 50/50. Depending on who I get helping me I'm either happy or really ****ed off. The owner is an egotistical P R I C K and the prices are high and If you go even five minutes over the hour you get charged the next hour which is 12 bucks. Now I wouldn't mind paying that if I got good service but I rarely do anymore. Justin over at Wyld archery couldn't be any better, he's a true archer and professional and someone who actually cares about his customers experience. And it's ten bucks for all day for range fees
Old 01-05-2015, 10:51 PM

awesome shop jim
Old 01-13-2015, 11:03 AM

Jim and Joe from the Calgary store just got back from the ATA trade show.Carson said that although there weren't many new game changing products there, all the new stuff is ordered for Edmonton.Some of the notable items were the new Ripcord arrow rests,the new axcel sight and they are going to stock some Striker longbows
Old 01-13-2015, 12:10 PM

Does Jim Bows Edmonton offer supertuning?
Old 01-13-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Does Jim Bows Edmonton offer supertuning?
Not right now but they will down the road.

LC
Old 01-13-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Not right now but they will down the road.

LC
Any idea of a time frame for this? I will hope to have my new Athens Solace in time for the MOAS but it will be tight....Of course the Accomplice will be ready regardless!
Old 01-13-2015, 07:00 PM

What EXACTLY is this 'supertuning'
Old 01-13-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
What EXACTLY is this 'supertuning'
Basically paper tuning with no human influence by using a hooter shooter also they take speed and measurements and give you a trajectory curve with hash marks for what should be perfect pin spacing for five pins.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Basically paper tuning with no human influence by using a hooter shooter also they take speed and measurements and give you a trajectory curve with hash marks for what should be perfect pin spacing for five pins.
Oh, I thought it would invovle more than a basic paper test. Stuff like laser alignments, axle spacers, etc.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:50 AM
Banned

Default Super tuning

I think super tuning involves quite a bite more. Taking a bow that's tuned to factory specs, then making it better.

I've helped a technician tune my bow, spending a couple days doing it. What we did consisted of putting the bow in spec, then modifying from there. Adding weight to the string, "speed nocks". Hundreds of not 1000+ shots down the lane tuning arrow flight and testing arrow speed. Twisting control and bus cables, twisting strings, draw length adjustment to 1/8", not 1/2". Adjusting string dampeners for sound and anti vibration.

Imo, super tuning can't be done without the guy who shoots the bow actually taking part in the process. I'm not sure what exactly super tuning is, but it's tuning with the word "super" in front of it!

I will say this, after spending a couple days working with the bow, I gained 12fps, lost some vibration and a bit of noise, and tightened up my groups. The results were super. Whatever we did must have consisted of super tuning somewhere along the line.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I think super tuning involves quite a bite more. Taking a bow that's tuned to factory specs, then making it better.

I've helped a technician tune my bow, spending a couple days doing it. What we did consisted of putting the bow in spec, then modifying from there. Adding weight to the string, "speed nocks". Hundreds of not 1000+ shots down the lane tuning arrow flight and testing arrow speed. Twisting control and bus cables, twisting strings, draw length adjustment to 1/8", not 1/2". Adjusting string dampeners for sound and anti vibration.

Imo, super tuning can't be done without the guy who shoots the bow actually taking part in the process. I'm not sure what exactly super tuning is, but it's tuning with the word "super" in front of it!

I will say this, after spending a couple days working with the bow, I gained 12fps, lost some vibration and a bit of noise, and tightened up my groups. The results were super. Whatever we did must have consisted of super tuning somewhere along the line.
I am not sure to be honest if spec tuning and timing is part of the "supertune" or not but should be done before hand if not.

I will make a phone call to check here in a bit.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:15 AM

Youtube from jimbows supertune.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...KU8OYTBsEe9yzA
Old 01-14-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I am not sure to be honest if spec tuning and timing is part of the "supertune" or not but should be done before hand if not.

I will make a phone call to check here in a bit.
Ok so here is the low down jimbows edmonton is atleast a year away from getting a supertuner if at all.

They will spec tune and fine tune tour bow for optomum performance including papertune. They also will group tune 6 arrows and givebyou a performance curve with hash marks for your pin setup
Old 01-14-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Ok so here is the low down jimbows edmonton is atleast a year away from getting a supertuner if at all.

They will spec tune and fine tune tour bow for optomum performance including papertune. They also will group tune 6 arrows and givebyou a performance curve with hash marks for your pin setup

To most thats a supertune...what im sure they are talking about in a year is a Hooter Shooter [mecanical shooter]

Neil
Old 01-15-2015, 10:45 AM

True super tunning is what Kurt described.

I have all the respect in the world for our techs in Archery Shops but to truly super tune your bow is more than just setting it to spec, getting correct draw length, correct poundage, setting center shot, setting correct timing and then finishing off with a paper tune.

But this is all a shop can do in a limited amount of time and to be truthful what 90% of bowhunters are fine with and their skill set can utilize.

That is a basic tune after which super tunning begins and it is a time consuming process which requires either you learn how to do it yourself, get a bow press, draw board, or have a tech who lives with you or is family

Its a frustrating process but once you robin hood bare shaft arrows at 20 yards and your BH and FP are hitting the same spot passed 70 yards it is worthwhile. Super tunning will also greatly enhance your form as you will then learn how grip greatly affects arrow flight, where the sweet spot for your bow is and what arrow /vane/ BH/ FOC your bow likes. It is similar to reloading in terms of the process.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
To most thats a supertune...what im sure they are talking about in a year is a Hooter Shooter [mecanical shooter]

Neil
Sorry yes I worded this wrong they are that far away from a hooter shooter ...which is what they use in combination with the Easton bow mapping program for "supertuning" I believe they use the hooter shooter as a draw board etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xnnrC3a5j4
Old 01-16-2015, 03:31 PM

Stopped in briefly last night. Definitely a nice shop! Congrats on the new store.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:37 PM

Great shop. Dave and Carson are easy and great to deal with. Wife and I joined the target league and it's a great time no matter what level your at.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:55 PM

Thumbs up indoor 3-D

Cant wait for tomorrow Jim-Bows in Edmonton is having their weekly 3-D shoot starting tomorrow at 10 am. Sounds like its gonna be a blast and great practice for upcoming shoots like the mother
Old 02-08-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
Cant wait for tomorrow Jim-Bows in Edmonton is having their weekly 3-D shoot starting tomorrow at 10 am. Sounds like its gonna be a blast and great practice for upcoming shoots like the mother
Planning on being there this morning....looking forward to the course and challenges the boys have set up!

LC