Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2018, 05:29 PM

Default Wabamun Lake: Samco Development along North Shore

As related by DuckBrat back in 2013, Samco Developments Ltd. has been having problems complying with an Alberta Environment Enforcement Order and amendments to that order to clean up the mess they made in 2012 when they cleared a 1/4 section of forested land along the north shore of Wabamun Lake. Tonnes of topsoil and other earthen materials have entered the lake affecting the health of that lake, including fish populations. Parkland County has also issued a Stop Order to prevent further erosion of the Lakeshore Road, etc., to apparently no avail.

I am a member of the Wabamun Watershed Management Council and we have been following this development since it was first reported in 2012. Although the land is zoned as agricultural by Parkland County, it has long been suspected that Samco wanted to build some kind of residential development.

Well, it's suspicions confirmed. Late last month (Sept.) Samco announced their proposed 328-site RV campground to be constructed on that site. They will be applying for a development permit with Parkland County. Many lakeside residents and anglers are upset and are planning to appeal any permit granted. If you fish Wabamun or otherwise have concerns about the health of the lake, please go to the WWMC web page on the issue to learn more.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:20 AM

Don, I live by Wabamun lake and will be affected by this proposed development. Their were around 80 people that attended the open house
at Magnolia hall, most with concerns about the major campground.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:36 AM

Yay more RV campgrounds. Thousands of RV's being sold every year and no where to go.
While our gubberment closes down recreational areas, the private sector steps in, one large development at Buffalo lake and now at Wabamun. But NIBY raises its head. No no only a few entitled of us are allowed to live at the lake, keep out the weekend riff raff, it's all ours, all ours, we own all the shoreline. Blah blah blah. Just think, in Europe, a country the size of Alberta would hold about 50 million people.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:15 AM

I don't live or own property on the lake or even in the watershed, but I do fish and boat on it, and am very concerned about the amount of development on the lake and it's affect on the health of the lake. Wabamun is one of the few lakes in central Alberta that so far hasn't had toxic blue-green algae blooms. We at the WWMC are trying to keep it that way, but the attitude of this developer and his reluctance to adhere to AEP restrictions makes it less likely that the lake will stay healthy. Sure, bring on more campgrounds, RVs, boats, etc., but be prepared to view, smell and ultimately reject an unhealthy lake.
And 50 million people? How do you think that many people would affect your ability to enjoy wildlands, stand in long lineups, get a licence to actually catch a fish or hunt? Europeans don't have near the opportunities we have here, that's why many of them come here for vacations.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:25 AM

Is Transalta involved in this at all? I've heard they use the lake water for cooling of their plant nearby and they monitor the water quality to ensure when something goes sideways, they're not at fault. I would think they would be all over this?
Old 10-10-2018, 11:09 AM

So what’s going to ruin the water? The extra boats on the lake? Or the people swimming in the water on the 20 Day’s a year nice enough to swim? Newsflash. We need way more campgrounds in this province. I bet there’s been at least 20 threads this year of people complaining about full campgrounds. Can’t get a site anywhere, etc. I say we need a dozen new campgrounds in this province at least. Closer to the big cities the better.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:15 AM

The last thing that lake needs is more development.

I stay away from there on summer weekends for a reason. It's already a zoo.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickakooKookoo View Post
Is Transalta involved in this at all? I've heard they use the lake water for cooling of their plant nearby and they monitor the water quality to ensure when something goes sideways, they're not at fault. I would think they would be all over this?
The old (now defunct) Wabamun power plant used to draw water from the lake to cool its generators, and then release it back to the lake. The more modern plants on the south side of the lake use very little lake water and recycle it through cooling ponds not connected to the lake.

The WWMC works with TransAlta on a number of issues, but since their mine and plants are on the south side of the lake, I doubt the development would affect them directly.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
The last thing that lake needs is more development.

I stay away from there on summer weekends for a reason. It's already a zoo.
No kidding, didn't even fish it once this summer
Old 10-10-2018, 05:28 PM

Guess that's what happens when the money hungry's see an opportunity to make more. The other side would be that the city dwellers and weekend worriers have a place to go within a short distance of travel. Money money money made and saved. As for the same reason I do not go out on weekends especially long ones. It's sad all round for sure. GREED Gonna be a $!-!it show when it happens
Then it's gonna be the Monkees Theme song. With a few word changes. Here we come, Driving down the street, get the funniest looks from everyone we meet, hey hey were the weekenders Sorry for that people I still don't agree with the development
Old 10-10-2018, 08:13 PM

Replace campground with pipeline, you guys sound just like a bunch of B.C. nimbies.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalBornKilla View Post
Replace campground with pipeline, you guys sound just like a bunch of B.C. nimbies.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:33 AM

Maybe try reading post #1 and the link to WWMC information on the subject before posting....

It's not a bunch of entitled that want the lake to themselves. Anyone who has seen the mess could not argue that it was done properly. The land was completely stripped and re contoured with no permit. The soil is literally running into the lake because there is nothing to stop it.

The contractor is ignoring water act enforcement orders.
https://open.alberta.ca/publications...-06-cr-amend-1

And stop orders.
https://www.parklandcounty.com/en/co...on---Final.pdf

I have substantial investment on the lake and a 1/4 section in the watershed and I am not opposed to development if done properly.

Other than the obvious disaster that has occurred to date my biggest issue with this development is that there is no where near enough lake front there to support 328 sites. The area in red is privately owned property (who I feel very sorry for) which leaves the lakefront in blue. About 400 yards of pretty much unusable lake front. There is the road then the train tracks then maybe 30 yards of steep bank to the lake. Are they going to have a picnic on the train tracks? That is about the only place you could do it. Not usable for one person let alone 600 (2 per site LOL). No lake access, no boat launch and there will be 600 people wanting to use the lake. It is going to be ugly over there.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:08 PM

From what I read and figure, Samco Development new exactly what was to come after they're acquisition on the land to clear in 2011. Now 7 yrs later time to take care of the erosion problem. Let's build a resort on it. Pack it down add drainage, gravel no more land lost in the lake. Make the weekenders pay it off for ya in the long run. Really what you think would happen when they clear cut right to the lake on a down hill slope. I'm no genius but most know what runs downhill. Should not have happened years ago. $$$$$ in pocket in the long run
Old 10-11-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
Maybe try reading post #1 and the link to WWMC information on the subject before posting....

It's not a bunch of entitled that want the lake to themselves. Anyone who has seen the mess could not argue that it was done properly. The land was completely stripped and re contoured with no permit. The soil is literally running into the lake because there is nothing to stop it.

The contractor is ignoring water act enforcement orders.
https://open.alberta.ca/publications...-06-cr-amend-1

And stop orders.
https://www.parklandcounty.com/en/co...on---Final.pdf

I have substantial investment on the lake and a 1/4 section in the watershed and I am not opposed to development if done properly.

Other than the obvious disaster that has occurred to date my biggest issue with this development is that there is no where near enough lake front there to support 328 sites. The area in red is privately owned property (who I feel very sorry for) which leaves the lakefront in blue. About 400 yards of pretty much unusable lake front. There is the road then the train tracks then maybe 30 yards of steep bank to the lake. Are they going to have a picnic on the train tracks? That is about the only place you could do it. Not usable for one person let alone 600 (2 per site LOL). No lake access, no boat launch and there will be 600 people wanting to use the lake. It is going to be ugly over there.

You nailed it. This is yet another clear example of why counties and other local governments need adult supervision. I’d wager that Parkland Co. councillors are being heavily influenced by the developer. I’m all for protecting private property rights; however, when development on private land is unauthorized and has such impact on a public resource, decisions made by lower levels of government need to be vetted by the province.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:43 PM

I could believe that.
Also put in that government will avoid a lawsuit at all costs.

Put that together and it gives a developer a green light that it’s easier to ask for forgiveness than approval.

I don’t see nothing wrong with development if it’s done correctly.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:12 PM

The Stony Plain Reporter published an article about the development that summarizes the issues pretty welll

To be clear, the Wabamun Watershed Management Council doesn't oppose development. What we do oppose is development that does not respect the health of the lake. Indeed, we have worked with TransAlta, Parkland County, the Village of Wabamun and many of the summer villages, to ensure people understand how to enjoy the lake responsibly.

If you use Wabamun Lake and our concerned about its health, you might consider joining the WWMC. It's free, and you will be kept informed about what's happening and what you can do. There, that's my commercial for the day.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meredith View Post
The Stony Plain Reporter published an article about the development that summarizes the issues pretty welll

To be clear, the Wabamun Watershed Management Council doesn't oppose development. What we do oppose is development that does not respect the health of the lake. Indeed, we have worked with TransAlta, Parkland County, the Village of Wabamun and many of the summer villages, to ensure people understand how to enjoy the lake responsibly.

If you use Wabamun Lake and our concerned about its health, you might consider joining the WWMC. It's free, and you will be kept informed about what's happening and what you can do. There, that's my commercial for the day.
Where has Alberta Environment been all this time ?

Grizz
Old 10-12-2018, 11:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't live or own property on the lake or even in the watershed, but I do fish and boat on it, and am very concerned about the amount of development on the lake and it's affect on the health of the lake. Wabamun is one of the few lakes in central Alberta that so far hasn't had toxic blue-green algae blooms. We at the WWMC are trying to keep it that way, but the attitude of this developer and his reluctance to adhere to AEP restrictions makes it less likely that the lake will stay healthy. Sure, bring on more campgrounds, RVs, boats, etc., but be prepared to view, smell and ultimately reject an unhealthy lake.
What exactly are your concerns with a campground being detrimental to the health of the lake? The silt issue during development I understand, however it sounds to me like you are implying that they will be pumping raw sewage from the campground right into the lake. I hardly think that will happen. If they put in a pier for their tenants to moor their boats I suppose that would contribute to a little more pollution from spills while refueling, etc., but to declare that a campground will make the lake ugly, smell and ultimately unhealthy is a bit of a stretch.

I have been involved with the development at Willowbend Resort at Lac La Nonne and I have been a long time resident at Lakeview Campground on Lac Ste Anne. I’ve heard the same unfounded arguments from the locals in both areas.

I don’t live there either but I know that the bottom line is that no one likes change particularly if it’s in their backyard. Some people may want people to stay out of their piece of paradise, I understand that. There’s no reason to embellish what the ramifications of a new campground are though. It leads to credibility issues.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:10 AM

As proposed, the development will not be pumping sewage into the lake. The sewage will go to holding tanks, and it's assumed pumped and hauled out by vacuum trucks, as required in most lake communities. The problem with this particular development is the developer's attitude to the environment and the lake. AEP and Parkland County have tried to rein him in with six years of enforcement orders and amendments but he either ignores them or does a poor job of complying with them. In the meantime tonnes of topsoil and sediments enter the lake yearly (according to AEP assessments).

Runoff from disturbed ground carries nutrients into the lake water. This accumulates, causing more plant growth including algae blooms. The more development you have on a lake, the more nutrients flow in the water. Scientific study after study show this. On the WWMC website we have posted many of these studies.

That said, developments can be made that respect the health of the lake by ensuring that runoff is controlled and passes through riparian or wetland areas with natural vegetation that filtres out many of the nutrients. This particular campground could be constructed that way, but we have no faith that it will unless the governments involved actually enforce their orders.

There is a limit to the amount of development you can have on a lake. There is only so much lake shore and watershed to go around. But a healthy lake needs a healthy watershed with enough natural areas and shorelines to ensure the cleanest possible water enters the lake. As our population grows and more people want to recreate on lakes, there is and will be pressure to build more. But how much more can our lakes take before they indeed become undesirable?
Old 10-13-2018, 07:39 AM

If they haven’t complied with the standing AEP orders how would they expect to get a development permit? I can’t see that happening as it shows bad faith. This occurred on a site on Mara in B.C. too. They got shut down and their development permit was sustained due to waterbody harm. I assume this is Samcos possible work around from having to return all the topsoil to the site to prevent runoff as their original permit probably didn’t allow for that removal.
Good luck with your fight. This should be an easy decision for the county unless it’s just about cash.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
As proposed, the development will not be pumping sewage into the lake. The sewage will go to holding tanks, and it's assumed pumped and hauled out by vacuum trucks, as required in most lake communities. The problem with this particular development is the developer's attitude to the environment and the lake. AEP and Parkland County have tried to rein him in with six years of enforcement orders and amendments but he either ignores them or does a poor job of complying with them. In the meantime tonnes of topsoil and sediments enter the lake yearly (according to AEP assessments).

Runoff from disturbed ground carries nutrients into the lake water. This accumulates, causing more plant growth including algae blooms. The more development you have on a lake, the more nutrients flow in the water. Scientific study after study show this. On the WWMC website we have posted many of these studies.

That said, developments can be made that respect the health of the lake by ensuring that runoff is controlled and passes through riparian or wetland areas with natural vegetation that filtres out many of the nutrients. This particular campground could be constructed that way, but we have no faith that it will unless the governments involved actually enforce their orders.

There is a limit to the amount of development you can have on a lake. There is only so much lake shore and watershed to go around. But a healthy lake needs a healthy watershed with enough natural areas and shorelines to ensure the cleanest possible water enters the lake. As our population grows and more people want to recreate on lakes, there is and will be pressure to build more. But how much more can our lakes take before they indeed become undesirable?
Guess I'm on your side, but one could argue Wabamun is not a lake, it's a man made reservoir, intended to supply cooling water to the power plants located there.

Grizz
Old 10-13-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneckin View Post
If they haven’t complied with the standing AEP orders how would they expect to get a development permit?
Well, you would think so, wouldn't you? But that's apparently not how it works. As we understand it, Parkland issues development permits based on how the development complies to Parkland's Land Use Bylaw and Municipal Development Plan. Problems with AEP, etc. are not considered. Now, if you look at that bylaw and plan, you can see how such a permit might not be granted or would have significant conditions placed on it. But that remains to be seen.

Obviously, something needs to be done with the property. What that will be remains to be seen.

Quote:
Good luck with your fight. This should be an easy decision for the county unless it’s just about cash.
Thanks! Unfortunately with bureaucracies, often what looks easy turns out to be quite complex.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Guess I'm on your side, but one could argue Wabamun is not a lake, it's a man made reservoir, intended to supply cooling water to the power plants located there.
That could have been argued in the past when the Wabamun power plant was up and running. It drew its cooling water from the lake and sent the warm water back into it. Now, there are just the two power plants on the south side of the lake. They draw very little water from the lake, and only enough to make up what was lost in evaporation in the cooling process. Most of their cooling water is recycled through their cooling ponds, separate from the lake.

Wabamun is definitely not man made. It's been around for a very long time with a long history, including that of First Nations who fished it for hundreds of years.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:42 AM

Default Samco

Right now, since the origional north side Transalta power plant was shut down and dismantled the lake water is not used. They have a water line from North Saskatchewan river for make-up cooling water for both south side plants. The lake is now one of the cleanest in Alberta, no blue-green cyano bacteria. Lets keep it that way.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:28 AM

The parcel of land he is building on is a very steep slope, disrupting this will cause a great deal of sediment to enter the lake (and already has) along with major erosion of that shoreline and the bank that the campground is proposed on. It is a disaster waiting to happen either with RVs tumbling down or the train tracks stabilization being disrupted. CN has already had to stabilize that area many times due to clear cutting by SAMCO and runoff not being slowed/stopped by vegetation. Having this many camper units will also increase pollution (septic) and garbage that will end up in the water. Many of these people will also bring boats that go in and out of different lakes, which has further potential to bring in invasive species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
So what’s going to ruin the water? The extra boats on the lake? Or the people swimming in the water on the 20 Day’s a year nice enough to swim? Newsflash. We need way more campgrounds in this province. I bet there’s been at least 20 threads this year of people complaining about full campgrounds. Can’t get a site anywhere, etc. I say we need a dozen new campgrounds in this province at least. Closer to the big cities the better.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:23 PM

If the developer is still having an adverse effect on the lake by allowing deleterious substance(s), such as silt, to enter the the waterbody, I recommend you also make use of the federal Fisheries Act to get your concern addressed. This means having a discussion with DFO in addition to Alberta Environment and Parks.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:32 AM

Default HAHA Don stick to writing fiction!Your facts are a little skewed,but it fits you and your watersheds narritive.

Quote:
As related by DuckBrat back in 2013, Samco Developments Ltd. has been having problems complying with an Alberta Environment Enforcement Order and amendments to that order to clean up the mess they made in 2012 when they cleared a 1/4 section of forested land along the north shore of Wabamun Lake. Tonnes of topsoil and other earthen materials have entered the lake affecting the health of that lake, including fish populations. Parkland County has also issued a Stop Order to prevent further erosion of the Lakeshore Road, etc., to apparently no avail.

I am a member of the Wabamun Watershed Management Council and we have been following this development since it was first reported in 2012. Although the land is zoned as agricultural by Parkland County, it has long been suspected that Samco wanted to build some kind of residential development.

Well, it's suspicions confirmed. Late last month (Sept.) Samco announced their proposed 328-site RV campground to be constructed on that site. They will be applying for a development permit with Parkland County. Many lakeside residents and anglers are upset and are planning to appeal any permit granted. If you fish Wabamun or otherwise have concerns about the health of the lake, please go to the WWMC web page on the issue to learn more.
HAHA Don stick to writing fiction! Your facts on this are a little skewed, but it fits you and your watersheds narrative. Is the Wabamun watershed also protesting the Transmountain pipeline that goes through this property or close by?
Old 02-15-2019, 06:55 AM

After a couple of days of hearings last month, on February 12, Parkland County's Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB) denied Samco's appeal of the county's refusal to grant a development permit. In other words, the development cannot proceed. For more information on the development and the opposition to it, including a link to the 28-page SDAB decision, go to the Wabamun Watershed Management Council page on the subject.

Samco has two options if it wishes to proceed with the development: 1) appeal to the Alberta Court of Appeals (if there were errors in law or jurisdiction in the decision) or 2) reapply for the permit in a year. As well, something has to be done to control the constant erosion on the property. So, this issue won't be going a way for a while.

Tags
fish habitat, samco, wabamun