Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2022, 09:43 AM

Default Apple watch Vs Garmin watch

Hi gang,

I was wondering what people think of either of these watches. I was hunting with a buddy who had a Garmin watch with GPS and all sorts of technology and it got me to thinking that it might be worth getting. But others have said to check out the Apple watch as well. Just looking for real world reviews from like minded people (hunting/fishing etc)

thank you
Old 10-05-2022, 10:23 AM

The Apple Watch works great if you're running an iPhone. My wife had one for a few years, but when she switched to an Android phone, it basically became useless to her. She has since replaced the watch with a Fenix 6 from Garmin, and has been happy with it. It lacks some of the features of the Apple Watch, but it seems to do a better job on what I'd consider core features (ie. exercise and activity monitoring, GPS functionality). Personally, I have a Fenix 6 as well, but I've been off the iPhone train for a much longer period of time. I can't speak to the performance of the Garmin watch with an iPhone.

The only thing is that I wished I would have went for the solar model. I still have to charge my watch about every 8 to 10 days, where as my buddy with the solar Fenix 7 easily gets twice the charge on his. An Apple Watch needs to be charged daily from my wife's experience.
Old 10-05-2022, 10:30 AM

Apple for 6 years, Garmin for 2.

Huge apple gu, but not when it comes to the watch. Apple won’t hold a charge for more than a full day. Has good features sure.

If you’re using it for outdoors stuff I can’t say enough great things about Garmin. GPS, mapping, SOS(can link to inReach), altimeter, compass, weather…. Honestly the list goes on and on. I have fénix6 pro. Only thing I would change is I would have splurged on the solar glass. I still get a solid 6-8 days on a single charge depending on what I’m doing. Has the full golf feature built in so no need to have your phone in range, holds 2000 songs/podcasts from a few popular services that can Bluetooth directly to your headphones. Fitness tracking. Can make connections with other users and share info. It is awesome
Old 10-05-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
The Apple Watch works great if you're running an iPhone. My wife had one for a few years, but when she switched to an Android phone, it basically became useless to her. She has since replaced the watch with a Fenix 6 from Garmin, and has been happy with it. It lacks some of the features of the Apple Watch, but it seems to do a better job on what I'd consider core features (ie. exercise and activity monitoring, GPS functionality). Personally, I have a Fenix 6 as well, but I've been off the iPhone train for a much longer period of time. I can't speak to the performance of the Garmin watch with an iPhone.

The only thing is that I wished I would have went for the solar model. I still have to charge my watch about every 8 to 10 days, where as my buddy with the solar Fenix 7 easily gets twice the charge on his. An Apple Watch needs to be charged daily from my wife's experience.
Funny, I read OP, then replied and after read yours. Same regrets
Old 10-05-2022, 08:32 PM

Default Garmin

Have had a Garmin Instinct (bought new on Amazon for under$200) for a while now and love it… I get a week to 10 days on a charge if I’m not running a lot of gps features. I’ve heard some of the solar models can last even longer, and have a lot more features. This one has more than I need (for now)
Old 10-05-2022, 08:40 PM

I have had the same timex for 10 years and it is compatible with any phone, even works with a land line I’m on my second battery though

I dropped $40 on it back when I bought though so I don’t expect anything less!
Old 10-05-2022, 08:56 PM

Check out this guys site

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/

Cheers

SS
Old 10-06-2022, 05:43 AM

Check out the Coros line. Little cheaper than Garmin but with pretty much the same features.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:52 AM

Having said that i just saw the Garmin Fenix 6 Sapphire on sale @ MEC for 37% off. $650. Down from $1030
Old 10-06-2022, 06:47 AM

Garmin Instinct off amazon for under $200 and I use a screen protector. Had had for about a year and it's certainly had a tough life (broke 4 or 5 sceen protectors) and one of the two band holding strap things. Average a week between charges and pairs with my inreach mini. Solar would be nice but was a big price jump at the time.
Old 10-06-2022, 07:09 AM

Got a Garmin Forerunner 25 free with AirMiles a couple of years ago. Still on my wrist, get easily a weeks worth of time (usually 2 weeks if I don't use the GPS)

Not as flashy as the Instinct or Fenix line, but is still a connected watch that tells time. Only thing I've had to replace on it is the watch strap as the original was a slightly harder silicone that broke. The replacement has easily outlasted the original strap.

Look into your AirMiles account, could be a solution there?

J.
Old 10-06-2022, 07:10 AM

They are different products with different core users. Check out the DC Rainmaker site - he does comprehensive reviews on this stuff - and see what features and limitations you need. I found my Apple Watch dying with light use on weekend hunting trips after about 30 hours. My Garmin Instinct can go for 2-4 weeks between charges depending on mapping and GPS use, plus it has an altimeter, barometer, compass. And it’s solar so it recharge (a bit) with enough light.

Both have a million features that 90% of people will never use.
Old 10-06-2022, 11:53 AM

I have an Apple Watch and a Garmin Fenix 3. I wear the Apple Watch for every day as it’s much easier to use for emails, texts, etc. The interface with Apple iPhones just works. It’s also smaller and lighter.

The Garmin is far better when you are in the bush, doing outdoor activities, etc. Perhaps the new Fenix models have better iPhone integration? The battery lasts pretty well, depending on your Bluetooth and wifi settings.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 10-06-2022, 12:02 PM

Default Garmin

Can you swim with the Garmin?
Old 10-06-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bourne View Post
Having said that i just saw the Garmin Fenix 6 Sapphire on sale @ MEC for 37% off. $650. Down from $1030
Yup, we'll be seeing some good deals on the 6 now that the 7 is out. London drugs has a good deal here: https://www.londondrugs.com/garmin-f...h-smartwatches

Motorola has an interesting offering out now too, which is showing some promise (depending on the feature set you need): https://motowatch.com/ca/moto-watch-100/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I have had the same timex for 10 years and it is compatible with any phone, even works with a land line I’m on my second battery though

I dropped $40 on it back when I bought though so I don’t expect anything less!
Luddite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by opto55 View Post
Depends, are you able to swim without it? If not, then no...

(sorry, I couldn't resist...)

Last edited by Stinky Buffalo; 10-06-2022 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-06-2022, 12:23 PM

Another difference is the touchscreen. Apple works entirely by touchscreen (except for certain voice commands) but the “outdoors” models of Garmin use buttons (and sometimes *also* touchscreen.) so if your fingers are dirty, wet, inside gloves, etc that will impact your use of any touchscreen watch. That is a hard NO for lots of folks.
Old 10-06-2022, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opto55 View Post
I never take mine off except to charge at night. I wear it in the shower, in the hot tub, at the pool... Absolutely no issues with it there.