Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2022, 07:49 PM

Default Pocket carry fixed blades

Hey guys, just wondering if any of you have a favorite pocket carry (edc) fixed blade? Kinda looking into options. My preferred is a drop point 3-3.5" blade and scales on the tang and must be pocket compatible ( or modifiable)Anyone have a great one they would recommend? Factory, custom ???
Old 09-28-2022, 07:58 PM

Pretty tough to get a fixed that small that is pocket carry. I handled a nice SOG that is 3.7", but more of a belt knife.

https://sogknives.com/aegis-fx-black-moss/

I'm sure there is something out there. Somewhere.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-28-2022, 08:34 PM

I carry a Bark River Knives knife. I believe that it's a Gunny sidekick in M4 steel. I've been carrying it for years. If I was looking for a new knife to pocket carry, I'd look at a Mini Kephart.

For going out to nice occasions, I have a Bark River Knives Essential. It's a really nice small knife.

There's a few facebook groups where these knives trade frequently.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:50 PM

Mora knives makes a small fixed blade that might fit the bill called the Eldris

Here is a link that shows it https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment...eck-knife.html

EFC513DB-E4F0-4E2B-9288-58EB8AB20B17.jpg
Old 09-28-2022, 10:16 PM

I have a Benchmade Ball Axis 300 flipper that I really like
3.2 inch drop point
154cm steel
g-10 scales.
pocket clip
1 handed open and close. its sturdy, well made and pretty durable. I like it.
Old 09-29-2022, 12:51 AM

Fixed 3-3.5-inch blade is quite a knife for a pocket to carry, imo. Why not a folder?
Old 09-29-2022, 07:51 AM

I carry a Fallkniven WM 1...

https://www.lamnia.com/en/p/38263/kn...iven-wm1-knife

Very small, light and nimble. The blade is a little less than in your post; but it has never failed me....VG-10 steel.

Good luck,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:45 AM

I've always wanted to get a Jon Graham Wee Razelcliffe. I have two of Jon's knives for quite a few years now and they are great. The Wee Razel is a stout yet small knife, great functionality. There are several blade profiles available.

https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/products/1043234/

Sadly, Jon passed away a few months back after a long battle with cancer. I met him in Las Vegas about 10 years ago at the USN Gathering III (big knife show for an online forum) very nice guy and a true craftsman.

I ordered this Graham Razel folder from Jon as a treat for myself when I earned my Master Electricians certificate:

Then bought this small fixed blade from him in Las Vegas. It has been my primary hunting knife ever since, I'm quite happy with it. Though I still have an itch for a Dozier, a Crotts or possibly a Krein.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I carry a Fallkniven WM 1...

https://www.lamnia.com/en/p/38263/kn...iven-wm1-knife

Very small, light and nimble. The blade is a little less than in your post; but it has never failed me....VG-10 steel.

Good luck,
That's a great knife. Thanks for that
Old 09-29-2022, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post
I've always wanted to get a Jon Graham Wee Razelcliffe. I have two of Jon's knives for quite a few years now and they are great. The Wee Razel is a stout yet small knife, great functionality. There are several blade profiles available.

https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/products/1043234/

Sadly, Jon passed away a few months back after a long battle with cancer. I met him in Las Vegas about 10 years ago at the USN Gathering III (big knife show for an online forum) very nice guy and a true craftsman.

I ordered this Graham Razel folder from Jon as a treat for myself when I earned my Master Electricians certificate:

Then bought this small fixed blade from him in Las Vegas. It has been my primary hunting knife ever since, I'm quite happy with it. Though I still have an itch for a Dozier, a Crotts or possibly a Krein.

A razel is one of the knives I have wanted for a while.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:22 AM

https://northarmknives.com/product/m...d1#description

north arm bird and trout in magnacut steel!!its 3.6 inch blade though

For pocket carry I prefer a folder.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 09-29-2022, 10:22 AM

Have you thought about the custom route?

After getting Clint to make me a set of 3 hunting knives for my son and I I’m playing with the idea of getting him to make me a custom EDC fixed blade.

I’ve looked at many and find short blade = small handle.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:48 AM

ESEE Izula with the knife connections scales. Affordable, top quality blade
Old 09-29-2022, 11:20 AM

Do you have any idea what you are looking for more specifically? 3-inch blade isa small (yet good size) knife, but still quite large for a pocket, for my liking that is.

Of course it all depends on how much you are willing to spend. Cold Steel Pendelton Mini Hunter is probably one of the best knives I’ve used in that size and smaller. They now come in CPM 3V, which, as you probably know, one of the best steels:

https://www.warriorsandwonders.com/C...cure-Ex_Sheath

I broke mine by being a donkey, lol:

That one was not 3V. In fact, I have no idea what it was. VG-10 maybe? Or VG-1? I don’t remember. It has been on many canoe and backpacking trips with me. Funny thing is, the one I had my “knife-junky” buddy received as a bonus when he bought some top-of-the-line type knife and he gave it to me saying my wife would like it for camping, lol.

It butchered quite a few bunnies, a deer, lol, and did many other things before I broke it.

I am now thinking of picking one up in 3V, haha.

There is this maker named Matthew McAlevy who makes great knives that are very reasonably priced. I almost bought this one in particular: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/...#post-21348420. $155 (or $165?) plus $5 shipping to Canada, which I believe most of his knives in that size are. I didn’t buy it because I don’t need it. Like I said though, quality knives that are very reasonably priced.

Esee make some knives that sort of fit your description and some can be used as a mini pry bar if needed, lol.

Grotts and Dozier that have been extensively discussed in the other thread have many knives with that blade size. As well as many other makers.

Really, depends what you are planning on using it for, how much you want to spend and so on. Many options.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:57 AM

What I'm looking for specifically is a smallish type all purpose knife that can fill the roll of a good folding knife without the folding aspect. I have no shortage of small fixed blades but all of them are either skeletonized or a 2-3finger haft...id like something that offers a decent grip but is still small enough to clip into my Jean's pocket.. my personal tastes would be kinda like a scaled down loveless style knife around the 5-6" overall length..with a decent steel preferred. I had a condor mini bushcrafter in hand the other day which felt to be perfect in most ways other than 440 steel and a very thick spine....
I use a knife alot and have carried a blade in my pocket of some sort for 35 years. I have my favorite folders but do find a lot if use for a good solid fixed, blade but generally dont love having one on my belt for general edc ....
Old 09-29-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Do you have any idea what you are looking for more specifically? 3-inch blade isa small (yet good size) knife, but still quite large for a pocket, for my liking that is.

Of course it all depends on how much you are willing to spend. Cold Steel Pendelton Mini Hunter is probably one of the best knives I’ve used in that size and smaller. They now come in CPM 3V, which, as you probably know, one of the best steels:

https://www.warriorsandwonders.com/C...cure-Ex_Sheath

I broke mine by being a donkey, lol:

That one was not 3V. In fact, I have no idea what it was. VG-10 maybe? Or VG-1? I don’t remember. It has been on many canoe and backpacking trips with me. Funny thing is, the one I had my “knife-junky” buddy received as a bonus when he bought some top-of-the-line type knife and he gave it to me saying my wife would like it for camping, lol.

It butchered quite a few bunnies, a deer, lol, and did many other things before I broke it.

I am now thinking of picking one up in 3V, haha.

There is this maker named Matthew McAlevy who makes great knives that are very reasonably priced. I almost bought this one in particular: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/...#post-21348420. $155 (or $165?) plus $5 shipping to Canada, which I believe most of his knives in that size are. I didn’t buy it because I don’t need it. Like I said though, quality knives that are very reasonably priced.

Esee make some knives that sort of fit your description and some can be used as a mini pry bar if needed, lol.

Grotts and Dozier that have been extensively discussed in the other thread have many knives with that blade size. As well as many other makers.

Really, depends what you are planning on using it for, how much you want to spend and so on. Many options.

That McAlevy knife is just about exactly what I'm looking for thank you for the info..
Old 10-03-2022, 07:30 PM

What do you think? 2.75" blade and a solid 3 finger grip on the hilt. It's kinda a DIY blade. Using a ka-bar Dozier blade and my own moose antler scales.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20221003_192501.jpg (23.0 KB, 66 views)
Old 10-04-2022, 09:02 AM

Always liked the Buck 113 skinner. Drop point and you can get one somewhat customized with different handles and steel.
https://www.buckknives.com/product/1...ife/0113BRS-B/
Old 10-04-2022, 10:04 AM

Forget fixed blades!

I got this for my bday a couple days ago. 4inches of s90v with carbon fiber scales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 10-04-2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
Forget fixed blades!

I got this for my bday a couple days ago. 4inches of s90v with carbon fiber scales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have 3-4 dozen folders already. In all different steels and shape/ size.. I also have lots of fixed blades in horizontal and vertical carry. All of my neck knives and pocket sized fixed blades are skeletonized and in general too small in the grip for really good use....there are lots of times /reasons why a pocket carry fixed blade is my preference for edc. This is why I'm after a decent one...
Old 10-04-2022, 10:03 PM

I like my little, Grohmann #104F, Flat Grind Mini Skinner. 6 1/2" total length, made in Pictou, Nova Scotia. only $114.00!
Old 10-05-2022, 04:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I like my little, Grohmann #104F, Flat Grind Mini Skinner. 6 1/2" total length, made in Pictou, Nova Scotia. only $114.00!
You carry a 6 1/2” blade in your front pocket?
Old 10-05-2022, 08:14 AM

The one I carry is almost 9" with the sheath. I like having a full hand handle.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:36 AM

Old 10-06-2022, 01:46 PM

Finally finished. Leather sheath for pocket and belt carry. Knife works both RH and LH carry because of the sheath design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20221006_133849.jpg (70.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20221006_133812.jpg (69.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-06-2022, 02:54 PM

Extra pics that wouldnt attach...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk