Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2022, 11:14 AM

Arrow Is it time to Retire the monarchy here in Canada ... What Say You ❓❗

It appears that even in Britain, the monarchy is losing it's luster . . .
14 Reuters News photos https://www.reuters.com/news/picture...r-idUSRTSBAE3D

The number of Commonwealth countries considering retiring the monarchy continues to grow.

Will Canada be next ❓

I hope so.

Selkirk
Old 09-16-2022, 11:27 AM

I am fine with people expressing their opinions in a democratic society.
However, some of the things being said on social media about the Queen are simply atrocious and evil. Some people’s parents apparently did not teach them not to disrespect the dead.
I would rather have the Monarchy when the only other choice is Emporer Justin.
Old 09-16-2022, 11:40 AM

Fourteen people colored little signs is all it takes to get on the news these days? Meanwhile people are in a line several km long, for hours, if not days, to pay their respects. That's the storey in my opinion.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Fourteen people colored little signs is all it takes to get on the news these days? Meanwhile people are in a line several km long, for hours, if not days, to pay their respects. That's the storey in my opinion.
Well said!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 09-16-2022, 02:45 PM

Exclamation

Quote:

No offence Trochu (or to Elizabeth Windsor), but that story you prefer has been Plastered All Over The Place for Many days now.

I think it's time 'The Other Story' be given some coverage and attention as well, as it represents the feelings of many here, and elsewhere. Those fourteen little signs you refer to, are just The Tip Of The Iceberg coming ❗

Selkirk
Old 09-16-2022, 02:55 PM
Banned

i'll get the numbers wrong but i think the polls today said almost 6 in 10 canadians support getting rid of the monarchy. we've got sockboy, so why waste money on the monarchy on top of that?

they also said it would be nearly impossible to swing, as the constitution would have to be opened and the move would have to be supported by every province/territory.
Old 09-16-2022, 03:10 PM

Well Jason Kenney flew to London to pay his respects to the Queen. And apparently he is getting a little emotional about it:

“While her portrait gazes over our proceedings today, as it has done for decades in this place, it is difficult to conjure the words adequately to express the grief that so many of us suffer at her loss,” said Kenney in the legislature. “I must say very personally that her death has hit me harder than I expected. As though I’ve lost a grandmother or a longtime friend.”

Waiting fourteen hours in line to pay his respects to her. That is dedication from the premier of Alberta.

Last edited by britman101; 09-16-2022 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-16-2022, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Agreed.
Old 09-16-2022, 05:14 PM

Today's update on the monarchy, from Global News 👉 https://globalnews.ca/news/9133546/q...da-ipsos-poll/

A referendum to abolish the monarchy here in Canada, sounds like a Damn Good Idea

Selkirk
Old 09-16-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
100,000 in line as of the news report 20 minutes ago.

Take any controversy and magnify it as much as possible. Create a news story where there really isn’t one and trust some people will glom onto it.

It’s the way the media operates these days. Rather that fill news gaps with positive human interest stories… find the negative. Negative sells to many people. We all fall for the allure of negativity from time to time. Media knows it.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-16-2022, 06:19 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

Take any controversy and magnify it as much as possible. Create a news story where there really isn’t one and trust some people will glom onto it.

It’s the way the media operates these days. Rather that fill news gaps with positive human interest stories… find the negative. Negative sells to many people. We all fall for the allure of negativity from time to time. Media knows it.

Spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-16-2022, 06:24 PM

Yawn. 14 photos. Wow.
Old 09-16-2022, 07:24 PM

Quote:

It is not a controversy, but a dying bread. 14 photos doesn’t mean 14 people. How would a line be of those who do not care? I am saying it with no disrespect to the Queen, or the fans. From a Guardian article:

Currently, only 47% of 18- to 24-year-olds say Britain should continue to have a monarchy, compared with 86% of Britons aged 65 and over. Even this level of support among young people may be temporarily inflated: just 33% had voiced their desire to keep the crown in May, at the time of the platinum jubilee.

Such disillusionment is a relatively new development. As recently as 2015, 69% of 18- to 24-year-olds said that Britain should remain a monarchy. By 2018 this had fallen to 47%, and in polls from 2020 onwards, prior to the Queen’s death, it has averaged at just 35%.

The present level of support for an elected head of state among under-25s (33%) is largely in line with the average since 2020 (37%). Prior to late 2019, that figure had never been higher than 24%. By contrast, the oldest Britons – those aged 65 and over – have remained resolutely in favour of the institution.

The notion that the monarchy is good for the country also no longer seems to wash with young people. While 61% of 18– to 24-year-olds were convinced of the benefits in 2015, today that figure stands at 33%, and the 24% it was in May probably better reflects attitudes in more stable times.

Similarly, young Britons are split 40% to 39% on whether the royal family represents good or bad value for money. And even among all the displays of patriotism commemorating the Queen’s death, just 31% of 18- to 24-year-olds say they are proud of the British monarchy. The same number say they are embarrassed.

I have a feeling, given the decision was up to people, as in majority makes the call, we (Canadians) would be abolishing it tomorrow. Pretty weird concept that serves no purpose in either country, really. The buck or two per person in Canada, while insignificant on an individual level, adds up to a good amount that could be put to a much better use instead. Not, of course, that it would be put to a better use, but that is not the point, and maybe it would be wasted on people of this country… maybe.
Old 09-16-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
The present level of support for an elected head of state among under-25s (33%) is largely in line with the average since 2020 (37%).
Elected head.....am I reading that right, only 33% support democracy?
Old 09-16-2022, 08:08 PM

Quote:
If we replace the monarchy, we have to find an alternative form of government and rewrite the constitution. Good luck with getting provincial agreement on that, there are reasons the BNA act ruled until 1982. Better pay lip service to an archaic institution for the time being anyway.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 09-16-2022, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Elected head.....am I reading that right, only 33% support democracy?
It reads to me that 30-whatever percent think it shoould continue to remain a monarchy, 30-whatever percent support an elected head of state instead of monarchy. The remaining 30-whatever percent likely “have no opinion” or “have difficulties to answer”.
Old 09-17-2022, 06:50 AM

What useful purpose does the Monarchy serve to Canada. If it’s just symbolism then time for a change.
Old 09-17-2022, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
What useful purpose does the Monarchy serve to Canada. If it’s just symbolism then time for a change.
See my post.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 09-17-2022, 07:28 AM

If anyone is trying to get rid of the monarchy because they think it will save money for our country I don’t believe you understand the magnitude of waste by our governments.
Try to imagine the cost of getting rid of our monarchy. If the spending right now it is considered a free for all imagine sock boy with this project.
Old 09-17-2022, 08:25 AM

F12B51C4-6C09-44BA-B1E7-B809A0093B26.jpg
Old 09-17-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
It is not a controversy, but a dying bread. 14 photos doesn’t mean 14 people. How would a line be of those who do not care? I am saying it with no disrespect to the Queen, or the fans. From a Guardian article:

Currently, only 47% of 18- to 24-year-olds say Britain should continue to have a monarchy, compared with 86% of Britons aged 65 and over. Even this level of support among young people may be temporarily inflated: just 33% had voiced their desire to keep the crown in May, at the time of the platinum jubilee.

Such disillusionment is a relatively new development. As recently as 2015, 69% of 18- to 24-year-olds said that Britain should remain a monarchy. By 2018 this had fallen to 47%, and in polls from 2020 onwards, prior to the Queen’s death, it has averaged at just 35%.

The present level of support for an elected head of state among under-25s (33%) is largely in line with the average since 2020 (37%). Prior to late 2019, that figure had never been higher than 24%. By contrast, the oldest Britons – those aged 65 and over – have remained resolutely in favour of the institution.

The notion that the monarchy is good for the country also no longer seems to wash with young people. While 61% of 18– to 24-year-olds were convinced of the benefits in 2015, today that figure stands at 33%, and the 24% it was in May probably better reflects attitudes in more stable times.

Similarly, young Britons are split 40% to 39% on whether the royal family represents good or bad value for money. And even among all the displays of patriotism commemorating the Queen’s death, just 31% of 18- to 24-year-olds say they are proud of the British monarchy. The same number say they are embarrassed.

I have a feeling, given the decision was up to people, as in majority makes the call, we (Canadians) would be abolishing it tomorrow. Pretty weird concept that serves no purpose in either country, really. The buck or two per person in Canada, while insignificant on an individual level, adds up to a good amount that could be put to a much better use instead. Not, of course, that it would be put to a better use, but that is not the point, and maybe it would be wasted on people of this country… maybe.
These polls… usually bought for media purposes are self serving for media.

For instance… in Canada… Trudeau had a huge majority of the younger demographic. As the demographic aged… so too did their political opinions. What we don’t know is of the older demographic in the UK that likes the monarchy… what did they think when they were younger.

We also know that polls reflect a short window of opinion. Look back to what has changed recently…. Prince Andrew definitely harmed the feelings towards the monarchy as did likely Harry’s statements about racism.

On one hand one says 14 signs out of 100,000 attendees mean doom. At the same time one ignores thousands of Twitter statements against PP as being Liberal plants.

There is something to be said about tradition and history and while some protest tearing down statues to preserve history… some say dissolve the monarchy.

I would hesitate to suggest that the majority don’t really care either way in Canada. That they see more wrongs that need to be fixed here and that this is just another great deflection for the government in power. There are costs and risks to opening up the constitution to make changes. Costs to change many systems. What are they? I don’t know but I do know for me this topic is far over shadowed by inflation, healthcare, debt, jobs in Canada.

Also can you post this link?

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/society/...pinion-stand-m

It’s a company that pays people for polls. This means the polling is very biased towards people that want to give opinions. Normally it skews to people upset as people are more apt to complain.

Interesting poll they did here. https://yougov.co.uk/topics/lifestyl...t-heterosexual 1 in 2 young people are not heterosexual. This isn’t to derail but to point out a question as to the legitimacy of the poll information you put forth as an argument. If you believe one… based upon their poll you must believe in them all. Picking and closing is also a confirmation bias risk.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 09-17-2022 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-17-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:

For instance… in Canada… Trudeau had a huge majority of the younger demographic. As the demographic aged… so too did their political opinions. What we don’t know is of the older demographic in the UK that likes the monarchy… what did they think when they were younger.

We also know that polls reflect a short window of opinion. Look back to what has changed recently…. Prince Andrew definitely harmed the feelings towards the monarchy as did likely Harry’s statements about racism.

On one hand one says 14 signs out of 100,000 attendees mean doom. At the same time one ignores thousands of Twitter statements against PP as being Liberal plants.

There is something to be said about tradition and history and while some protest tearing down statues to preserve history… some say dissolve the monarchy.

I would hesitate to suggest that the majority don’t really care either way in Canada. That they see more wrongs that need to be fixed here and that this is just another great deflection for the government in power. There are costs and risks to opening up the constitution to make changes. Costs to change many systems. What are they? I don’t know but I do know for me this topic is far over shadowed by inflation, healthcare, debt, jobs in Canada.

Also can you post this link?

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/society/...pinion-stand-m

It’s a company that pays people for polls. This means the polling is very biased towards people that want to give opinions. Normally it skews to people upset as people are more apt to complain.

Interesting poll they did here. https://yougov.co.uk/topics/lifestyl...t-heterosexual 1 in 2 young people are not heterosexual. This isn’t to derail but to point out a question as to the legitimacy of the poll information you put forth as an argument. If you believe one… based upon their poll you must believe in them all. Picking and closing is also a confirmation bias risk.
Good points

A lot of people only read into media what they want to hear

The MSM is evil, unless it states what you believe, then it is gospel.

It is like religion, people interpret the Bible or Koran or whatever to justify their actions.
Old 09-17-2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV911 View Post
Good points

A lot of people only read into media what they want to hear

The MSM is evil, unless it states what you believe, then it is gospel.

It is like religion, people interpret the Bible or Koran or whatever to justify their actions.
One needs to see the truth through the spin and not ever article is evil from a source and or gospel. I like to see the story written from different sources. That said… media is a business driven to make you read and visit their site. They will do what they need to in order to accomplish that goal.

One just needs to ask themselves… how is the site making money and does it look like any of the information is embellished to drive traffic.

In the case of the royals… what I hear is people just don’t think about them in Canada and don’t care what happens.

Many of those same people recognize history and find the historical aspect of the royals interesting.
Old 09-17-2022, 10:49 AM

I saw the Queen once. Only time and it was by complete coincidence. Happened she was visiting a castle for lunch when we had plans to visit the cathedral next door.

My reflection holding the camera is neat.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I wasn’t born yesterday, Sun, and know how things work.

Personally, I don’t care either way because I realize it isn’t likely to happen for various reasons, including those in Grizz’s post. I would very much rather we didn’t have the expense though.

I would bet the older folks from the poll felt the same way when they were younger, or at least most of them to make it an overwhelming majority.

Overall, I am not too involved because, like you said, there are more pressing issues. And I definitely couldn’t care less about what Brits (or anyone else, really) think about the queen, king, celebrities and other things that have zero or no significant effect on my day-to-day life. Honestly, I have only read, somewhat, the Guardian article I copied the above from, and another article about the new king because I knew “nothing” about the guy and was bored at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Maybe for Brits. No one is going to come to Canada because we are somehow weirdly associated with the Queen. Bet you lots of people outside of Canada have no idea, really. Many found out after the queen passed a few days ago.

It’s a drain for us… or a pretty expensive “lip service”, as Grizz called it.
Old 09-17-2022, 12:06 PM

I think this thread is in very bad taste,cant this wait untill after the burial at least? The queen has been the most influential person in most of our lives,have some respect please.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 09-17-2022, 12:23 PM

^ I think it is about the monarchy, not the queen. There is another thread about the queen, where I didn’t post (or read much) for this very reason - respect.

“Most influential person in most of our lives” is likely a great overstatement though.
Old 09-17-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post

It appears that even in Britain, the monarchy is losing it's luster . . .
14 Reuters News photos https://www.reuters.com/news/picture...r-idUSRTSBAE3D

The number of Commonwealth countries considering retiring the monarchy continues to grow.

Will Canada be next ❓

I hope so.

Selkirk

Yeah, there probably are thousands of people in UK who would like to abolish the monarchy, as well as millions who don't want any such thing. The line up to pay final respects to Queen EII was 14 km long. That should give people some sense of perspective.

We don't want or need the monarchy here but let's not be so gullible to let a couple pictures convince us the UK feels the same. The Brits I know aren't in any hurry to change a thousand years of tradition because without their tradition and history, they have nothing special at all.
Old 09-17-2022, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethunter View Post
Yeah, there probably are thousands of people in UK who would like to abolish the monarchy, as well as millions who don't want any such thing. The line up to pay final respects to Queen EII was 14 km long. That should give people some sense of perspective.

We don't want or need the monarchy here but let's not be so gullible to let a couple pictures convince us the UK feels the same. The Brits I know aren't in any hurry to change a thousand years of tradition because without their tradition and history, they have nothing special at all.
Um, without their history in WWII where do you think you would be now?
Old 09-17-2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Um, without their history in WWII where do you think you would be now?
What does that matter? But just for fun - where do you think they'd be now without our help in ww2? The UK needed us more than we needed them in 1939, I think. Not that I think we shouldn't have become involved and far from it, but not sure what you're trying to say.