Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Banned

Default Illegal (use) products in our hunting stores

Ok, I had a tough time explaing this one to my NON HUNTING wife.
Why does WSS allow the sale of electronic callers when we all know they are illegal to use in most sittuations.

It seems after listening to her and thinking about it myself.. This is just plain wrong. Its like they are encouraging hunters to break the law.

I really dont think this is moral or right in any way.

Perhaps it could be considered a "stupid" law.. But still, it is a law.
I am begining to think next time I drop by, I am going to try and speak to a manager. There should be no place for this type of thing in our hunting stores,.. What are we teaching the new commers or the kids?

Any thoughts?

Jamie
Old 11-02-2008, 10:02 PM

There only illegal if used for hunting but wat about for photos? They cant control what someone uses them for. What about all the barbed hooks?
Old 11-02-2008, 10:09 PM

Jamie
I had a similar question last year as to why The Fishin Hole sold gafts.
The answer I got was, they sell them because many customers buy them and use them on trips to neighboring provinces.
I am assuming this would be a similar answer you would get on the electronic calls.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 11-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo1969 View Post
There only illegal if used for hunting but wat about for photos? They cant control what someone uses them for. What about all the barbed hooks?
Come on.. Do you REALLY think they are used for animal watching??
These are nothing but POACHERS tools. I will give you 1 out of a 100 MIGHT use them within the law. But what about the other 99 idiots?

Your response is what I assume I am going to get from WSS.

Even my wife didnt buy that one.

As for barbed hooks... We as fisherman still need hooks. Perhaps that is something to take up with the manufacture.

Jamie
Old 11-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Jamie
I had a similar question last year as to why The Fishin Hole sold gafts.
The answer I got was, they sell them because many customers buy them and use them on trips to neighboring provinces.
I am assuming this would be a similar answer you would get on the electronic calls.
You cant use a gaff here in Alberta???

Goes to show how much I fish here....

Jamie
Old 11-02-2008, 10:14 PM

Jamie,
Although Alberta does not allow the electronic callers, Sask does. I'm sure that that they only bring them in because they have a demand for them. Calgary is the mail order location of the WSS outfit. I would think that many Sask. residents may do some shopping in town to save the extra tax while they are here.
I do see your point, It's like dangling a carrot in front of us (alberta Hunters).

Doesn't sound like you need one anyway!!
Old 11-02-2008, 10:20 PM

Check out the thread "Ethical Dillemma " From a few weeks ago. Kinda got done to death there.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter View Post
Jamie,
Although Alberta does not allow the electronic callers, Sask does. I'm sure that that they only bring them in because they have a demand for them. Calgary is the mail order location of the WSS outfit. I would think that many Sask. residents may do some shopping in town to save the extra tax while they are here.
I do see your point, It's like dangling a carrot in front of us (alberta Hunters).

Doesn't sound like you need one anyway!!
Well perhaps.. I can see a small point on this one. But still, just how many Sask residents come all the way to calgary to buy these things. If I remember correctly, they (WSS) had a big wall of these things.. I HIGHLY doubt its all our cousins to the east comming into town to buy a Gizmo, just to save a buck or 3.

Jamie
Old 11-02-2008, 10:31 PM

Well James I look at it this way, I can buy a 12pk of Corona and drink it all and make the choice to drive thus breakn the law. Or I can have one stay under the legal limit and drive thus stayn within the law. Just because a product can be used illegally doesnt mean it will be....
Old 11-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loper View Post
Check out the thread "Ethical Dillemma " From a few weeks ago. Kinda got done to death there.
Loper.. I missed that thread, but I did take the time to read it.

Red frog brought up some good points.

I am still not convinced they are a great thing for our hunting world. Not that they are the end of it, but I still dont see them as something that is helping us out.

The one big point was that a BIZ should be able to sell what they want. I aggree. But I also happen to think that WSS should not want to sell these things. I see them as doing nothing but encouraging poaching here in Alberta.
Why would WSS want to be associated with that.. I think I know the answer. ITS ALL ABOUT THE $$$$. So WSS sold their soul to the devil to make a buck... NICE

Why not be a leader and publicly denounce the sale of these things to ALberta residents. WHy be a cash hungry hog? Some good PR would help that store.

Just a few ideas anyhow
Jamie

Last edited by Jamie; 11-02-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
Well James I look at it this way, I can buy a 12pk of Corona and drink it all and make the choice to drive thus breakn the law. Or I can have one stay under the legal limit and drive thus stayn within the law. Just because a product can be used illegally doesnt mean it will be....
Exactlly , Or like these stores who sell , drug pipes etc , they make it avalible but then its your choise to use it or not.

I myself have an electric game call, ordered it from Cabela's, got all the little cards with it. I wouldnt use it in the field but like it anoy the famidamnnamily with it. But that was before I knew it was illegal to use, oh well its a toy I cant use.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:38 PM

The use of electronic calls is now permitted for hunting snow geese. Thats quite the reponse Jamie a little hyper are we after the moose hunt.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo1969 View Post
The use of electronic calls is now permitted for hunting snow geese. Thats quite the reponse Jamie a little hyper are we after the moose hunt.
Nahh.. Just something I was thinking about. It just doesnt seem right.
Didnt Calgary have a crack down on head shops?

Yes snow geese calls should be available.. But elk calls?? Moose Calls??

Come on.. We all know that WSS is pandering to poachers.

Jamie
Old 11-03-2008, 12:04 AM

Not just wss but i seen them russels and CT also
Old 11-03-2008, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Loper.. I missed that thread, but I did take the time to read it.

Red frog brought up some good points.

I am still not convinced they are a great thing for our hunting world. Not that they are the end of it, but I still dont see them as something that is helping us out.

The one big point was that a BIZ should be able to sell what they want. I aggree. But I also happen to think that WSS should not want to sell these things. I see them as doing nothing but encouraging poaching here in Alberta.
Why would WSS want to be associated with that.. I think I know the answer. ITS ALL ABOUT THE $$$$. So WSS sold their soul to the devil to make a buck... NICE

Why not be a leader and publicly denounce the sale of these things to ALberta residents. WHy be a cash hungry hog? Some good PR would help that store.

Just a few ideas anyhow
Jamie
Wholesale sports sells them because people buy them! And they know we will keep buying there even if we think they are doing something wrong. It is about the $$$$$$$. And you and me are just as guilty as they are, cause we keep on shopping there. Don't even get me started on wal-mart and chinese crap
Old 11-03-2008, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Come on.. We all know that WSS is pandering to poachers.

Jamie
BS junior !

First one I bought was to learn how to call Coyotes !
Unless I'm thinking of something else.....mine are "learn how to" cassette tapes....
Old 11-03-2008, 04:51 AM
Albertahog

Quote:
Come on.. Do you REALLY think they are used for animal watching??
These are nothing but POACHERS tools. I will give you 1 out of a 100 MIGHT use them within the law. But what about the other 99 idiots?

Your response is what I assume I am going to get from WSS.

Even my wife didnt buy that one.

As for barbed hooks... We as fisherman still need hooks. Perhaps that is something to take up with the manufacture.

Jamie
COMMENTS LIKE THIS tell me not to comment I see this thread as nothing more then stirring the pot to pass the time .Please dont take it personal just my 2 cent "POACHERS TOOLS" YAHH RIGHT.What's Next?????
Old 11-03-2008, 06:47 AM

Jamie,

By your logic every car dealer in Alberta is un-ethical because they sell cars that will exceed the posted speed limit. Should cars be available in Alberta that can exceed 110 Km/h?

Again, the dealer be it Ford or WSS provides a product. It is up to the individual how they will use it.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 11-03-2008, 06:55 AM

I've always said that if you put enough hunters together in a room to make the rules they would out law hunting. Your comment is as bad as the column what's his name wrote about outlawing barbed hooks in Alberta. Maybe we should have all men neutered Jamie to prevent rape or govern all cars to the speed limit here in Alberta or take away any gun caliber not deemed legal for hunting or perhaps take away guns when there is no hunting season on. I mean what is the difference between listening to an electronic caller on a Sunday afternoon or shooting at clay birds?
I don't care what you think Jamie but I'm all for free choice and dead against stupid manipulative laws that only control people who obey laws. If I have to bend down a couple of barbs because of Ralph's silly feel good law I will but don't outlaw my ownership of a tackle collection that has over 5 thousand crank baits just because you think I might use one with the barbs still in place! Egads!!
Old 11-03-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
Wholesale sports sells them because people buy them! And they know we will keep buying there even if we think they are doing something wrong. It is about the $$$$$$$. And you and me are just as guilty as they are, cause we keep on shopping there. Don't even get me started on wal-mart and chinese crap
x2 if people keep buying them, they are going to continue stocking them, makes sense. lets remember we are talking about a business here, and it is always as bbj said too the consumers choice to use it or not, they just make the product avaliable. nothing wrong with that.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoKilo View Post
Jamie,

By your logic every car dealer in Alberta is un-ethical because they sell cars that will exceed the posted speed limit. Should cars be available in Alberta that can exceed 110 Km/h?

Again, the dealer be it Ford or WSS provides a product. It is up to the individual how they will use it.
x2. How about all pump or semi-auto shotguns? They can all hold more than 3 rounds and yet hunting regulations stipulate they can only be used to hunt with if the plug is in them to limit them to 3. That's up to the person using it.

There are countless scenario's like this. Where does it stop? You can't police everything, if they were to do that you wouldn't be hunting at all. I respect you recognizing they can be used for illegal purposes, lots of things can though.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:13 AM
2430M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
BS junior !

First one I bought was to learn how to call Coyotes !
Unless I'm thinking of something else.....mine are "learn how to" cassette tapes....
I would imagine he is talking about these or a similar version

X2 209

They (sporting stores)sell these too which can be used for illegal hunting activities.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...164&hasJS=true
Old 11-03-2008, 07:28 AM

Check out the advertizing in the latest Game Warden magazine. Locaters and squaukers for pest control.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoKilo View Post
Jamie,

Same logic would also apply to a realtor who sells a house to a drug dealer who then uses the house to sell or manufacture illegal drugs?
Old 11-03-2008, 07:32 AM

Default calls

They should be legal for at least predators, you make the same sounds with regular calls, I could spend 2-300 on an electronic one that does calls for all species or much more than that on separate calls. $30-40 for a grunt tube? $20-30 for a cow call, up to $50 for a bugle, moose calls, predator calls, I probably have $600 worth of calls in the hunting box, why not ban any type of call all togeather, maybe wear flashing strobe lights on your hat just to give the poor deer a better chance!
Old 11-03-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
These are nothing but POACHERS tools.
Jamie
I will go out on a limb here Jamie, but most anything that wholesale sells could be a poachers tool if you choose to look at it in that light. It is crazy talk to think that a business should not sell something because it is not legal in certain jurisdictions, or could be used to break a law. It is not Wholesale sports, or any business for that matter responsibility to enforce the hunting regulations.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:13 AM

I say we send a letter to the Liberal Party and they could start a "Electronic Predator Call" registry.......probably cost about 2 million, or 2 billion or something like that.......
Old 11-03-2008, 08:22 AM

its the same as the hunting stores selling deer crack and c'mere deer as well as fmj bullets. No these cannot be used for hunting but its not their responsibility to ensure that the products are used responsibly its the consumers, and they will hold to that.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
I've always said that if you put enough hunters together in a room to make the rules they would out law hunting. Your comment is as bad as the column what's his name wrote about outlawing barbed hooks in Alberta. Maybe we should have all men neutered Jamie to prevent rape or govern all cars to the speed limit here in Alberta or take away any gun caliber not deemed legal for hunting or perhaps take away guns when there is no hunting season on. I mean what is the difference between listening to an electronic caller on a Sunday afternoon or shooting at clay birds?
I don't care what you think Jamie but I'm all for free choice and dead against stupid manipulative laws that only control people who obey laws. If I have to bend down a couple of barbs because of Ralph's silly feel good law I will but don't outlaw my ownership of a tackle collection that has over 5 thousand crank baits just because you think I might use one with the barbs still in place! Egads!!
X2. Pretty much sums up my thoughts...but you know I have my quirks too...the very first thing that comes to mind are those drug paraphernalia stores (in Old Strathcona Edmonton). BBJ already mentioned it too........not hunting related but a blatant scab on Canadian society IMO. Electronic game callers.......not so much a societal issue as the (potential illegal use) sale of drug paraphernalia. There are so many things to pick on...so little time...what are the larger issues?
Old 11-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post
I will go out on a limb here Jamie, but most anything that wholesale sells could be a poachers tool if you choose to look at it in that light. It is crazy talk to think that a business should not sell something because it is not legal in certain jurisdictions, or could be used to break a law. It is not Wholesale sports, or any business for that matter responsibility to enforce the hunting regulations.
X2 on this, 209X50's, and most of the other responses here...

You're missing the fact that WSS sells the #1 poaching tool in the world - guns.

I can't even believe this thread exists.

Waxy