Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-20-2021, 09:04 AM

Default .22 rifle advice

I am in the market for a .22 and was considering getting a lever action, just because they look cool. Anybody have any experience/opinions about this?

Greatly appreciated
Old 01-20-2021, 09:08 AM

I think this might fit better in the guns and ammo section of the forum.

I think in order to give you any feedback we would need to know what your main uses for the firearm would be before we can help you make any decisions.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:09 AM

I think this might fit better in the guns and ammo section of the forum.

I think in order to give you any feedback we would need to know what your main uses for the firearm would be before we can help you make any decisions.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:22 AM

I got a lever, it's cool, holds 15LR, and accurate.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:23 AM

Well, if you're going new, you don't have alot of options.

I might be missing some, but think you're essentially limited to Henry, Browning, Rossi, Taylors, and Uberti.

If new, I'd likely pick the Browning.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Well, if you're going new, you don't have alot of options.

I might be missing some, but think you're essentially limited to Henry, Browning, Rossi, Taylors, and Uberti.

If new, I'd likely pick the Browning.
Have a Henry in both 30-30 and .22.
Love em both, well made, accurate and reliable.
Only downside is the tube loading...I'd rather have a loading gate, but it's a small negative considering all the pluses.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:49 AM

It all depends what you want in a rifle. Do you want a fun plinker that you will load and fire off an entire magazine every time, do you want a rifle that you can quickly load and unlload for getting in and out of a vehicle or atv, or do you want a precision rifle?
Old 01-20-2021, 09:52 AM

Have owned 5 Marlin levers, 2 Browning levers, still own a Winchester. Over the years I played with the Marlins trying to get more accuracy but I eventually sold them. The 39s were not accurate enough for my liking and I had 5 that I tried because I really like the look of them. Made good money on them as they went up a lot over a very few years. The Browning were both VERY accurate but I found the gun too small, good for younger folks and women but doesn't feel like a full size rifle. The Winchester is as accurate as the Brownings and feels like a rifle. It also has beautiful wood, which I am a sucker for.

I have not owned or shot a Henry. The Ubertis in my opinion are far over priced for mediocre quality. I never bought or shot one, just looked at them and found the build quality wanting.

If you can find a used Winchester that is what I would recommend.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:36 PM

I have a Henry. Fun to shoot but terrible big iron sights and is a tiny rifle for my 6'6" frame. it was a good brush gun when I used to hunt rabbits in the thick willows.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Have owned 5 Marlin levers, 2 Browning levers, still own a Winchester. Over the years I played with the Marlins trying to get more accuracy but I eventually sold them. The 39s were not accurate enough for my liking and I had 5 that I tried because I really like the look of them. Made good money on them as they went up a lot over a very few years. The Browning were both VERY accurate but I found the gun too small, good for younger folks and women but doesn't feel like a full size rifle. The Winchester is as accurate as the Brownings and feels like a rifle. It also has beautiful wood, which I am a sucker for.

I have not owned or shot a Henry. The Ubertis in my opinion are far over priced for mediocre quality. I never bought or shot one, just looked at them and found the build quality wanting.

If you can find a used Winchester that is what I would recommend.
Interesting observation on the Marlins. I have a '76 39 golden A with micro groove barrel. The thing flat out shoots. I run it with peep sights but it's accurate enough to hammer a gopher at 400 yds ( third shot....was guessing on the peep adjustment as I had never shot that far before) scoped it's sub moa at 100 yads. With peeps I can hit 12g shotgun shells at 100 yds... I have tried a friends 80s something with rebounding hammer and found it not nearly as accurate. Instead of that solid gamer drop it had a spongy bouncing feel that effected my accuracy...what years of 39s have you tried? I'd love a 39m but dang they are costly. Even the 39a are way too pricy for my wallet these days.good thing I got the one I have before prices got outrageous..

As for the op of the new levers on the market the Henry's are about the only one I'd consider.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:32 PM

Hard to beat a CZ.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:34 PM

Odssesed1

I have heard the stories of sub moa 39s but sure was never able to find one. I had ones made from the 50s and every decade to a brand new one I bought in the late 90s. No matter what ammo and what tunning I did, could never get one that would do much better than am inch at 50 yards and a couple were closer to 2" and those are all scoped. . Fine for plinking and I don't expect them to shoot zeros and .1s at 50 yards like my Anschutzs will but not my idea of good accuracy.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Odssesed1

I have heard the stories of sub moa 39s but sure was never able to find one. I had ones made from the 50s and every decade to a brand new one I bought in the late 90s. No matter what ammo and what tunning I did, could never get one that would do much better than am inch at 50 yards and a couple were closer to 2" and those are all scoped. . Fine for plinking and I don't expect them to shoot zeros and .1s at 50 yards like my Anschutzs will but not my idea of good accuracy.
Hum I musta got lucky. I bought it in 1995 as my first rifle. I figured I wanted a cowboy type 22 and spied it on the LGS used rack. Didn't know much about them at the time but the price was right $350. Truth is if it had been a browning or Henry I probably would have bought that as I had $$ in my pocket and had the itch for a lever gun lol. Now it's one of my never sell guns....guys gotta have a few of those good surprises once or twice in a life I guess.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Hum I musta got lucky. I bought it in 1995 as my first rifle. I figured I wanted a cowboy type 22 and spied it on the LGS used rack. Didn't know much about them at the time but the price was right $350. Truth is if it had been a browning or Henry I probably would have bought that as I had $$ in my pocket and had the itch for a lever gun lol. Now it's one of my never sell guns....guys gotta have a few of those good surprises once or twice in a life I guess.
I have quite a few never sell pieces that will get passed on to my nephew. If I had ever found a sub moa 39 it would definitely have joined that group. Glad u got so lucky. Guy needs that to happen at least once in a while.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:20 PM

I bought an Ithaca lever way back in '72 and carried it for thousands of miles trapping. Henry bought all their tooling when they went under, and began producing what are essentially clones. I bought one and love it for a walk-around gun. Fits your hand and has perfect balance.

The tube magazine is a PITA though.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:29 PM

Tube mags are a pain but realistically if you go for a lever then u are stuck with tube fed. For trapping I would have preferred a mag fed or single shot. You can use a chamber flag/plug to save unloading as long as u remember to stay legal when transporting on a machine.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Interesting observation on the Marlins. I have a '76 39 golden A with micro groove barrel. The thing flat out shoots. I run it with peep sights but it's accurate enough to hammer a gopher at 400 yds ( third shot....was guessing on the peep adjustment as I had never shot that far before) scoped it's sub moa at 100 yads. With peeps I can hit 12g shotgun shells at 100 yds... I have tried a friends 80s something with rebounding hammer and found it not nearly as accurate. Instead of that solid gamer drop it had a spongy bouncing feel that effected my accuracy...what years of 39s have you tried? I'd love a 39m but dang they are costly. Even the 39a are way too pricy for my wallet these days.good thing I got the one I have before prices got outrageous..

As for the op of the new levers on the market the Henry's are about the only one I'd consider.
Let me guess, over the shoulder with a mirror
Old 01-21-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Let me guess, over the shoulder with a mirror
Nope actually witnessed by three other guys with me. Shot sitting on sticks. I had a tang sight on the rifle at the time. We lazered the critter at 396 yes he was a light blob sitting on a dark gravel path. I guessed at the height needed on the tang sight and shot. The shot puffed dirt 2 ft or so in front and the gopher never moved. I gave another 5 more full spins on the sight and shot again. I puffed right beside the fellow. He jumped and scurried a few steps away from me then stoped and I sent the third which hit him right through the body. The guy on the glass called out solid hit. We walked out and lazered back to the truck which we were right beside when shooting and it was 402 yds....haven't been able to get a set up like that since. Being that it was light brown on a darker gravel path was the only way I could see it without a scope. One of my most memorable shots for sure. I have since removed the tang sight and have a lymans receiver sight on the gun now with many different appreatures from large to pin hole. The sight doesn't have enough adjustment to get out past about 200 though so no more really long pokes with that gun lol

I have a 100 yd small bore range right in my yard and my favorite drill in winter is lining up hulls on a sawhorse and knocking them off one by one. Gerenally I'm seated shooting off cross sticks. The hulls are very visible with snow all around.

I do have another 22lr with scope set up that I shoot out to 450 yds a fair bit in spring and summee. Small bore ELR is a fun inexpensive game once the rifle is set up....it sure tests your fundamentals and wind calling. My 11 year old has started in on the fun with his HB mkll and can somewhat regularly hit a 8" plate prone at 200 as long as the wind is constant. At 30 yds the little bugger can shoot the primers out of a 12g shell case more times than miss....of course prone w rear bag.

Last edited by obsessed1; 01-21-2021 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:27 PM

Love my little Henry, fast and accurate.