Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2021, 04:27 PM

Default Weat Jet Credits

Our family holiday to Mexico was canceled in March last due to COVID-19 and rather than refund us $6000 they issued some kind flight credit in the future. I thought fair enough, ot like its particularly easy on the airline and reconciled to using them later this year.

I just read they disappear after 12 months. I should have asked my local MP if he wanted to use them over Xmas.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:37 PM

Our honeymoon to Europe was cancelled in April too and they have $4k of our dough. I’m pretty sure the credits are good for 24 months and you could extend that for something like $20. But if WJ was the one that cancelled your flight they will give you your money back. The wife just talked to somebody the other day. They have a link to paperwork you have to fill out to start the refund policy.

Edit: the credits are normally good for a year. But because of The Vids they gave everyone 24 months.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel-info/covid-refunds

Last edited by tbiddy; 01-16-2021 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:38 PM

LOL - you could have ......

On a serious note, you could ask for a refund. I believe there is/was some legislation surrounding this, bit I'm going from memory but it may be worth looking into.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:42 PM

You need to phone west jet and get the actual facts from them directly for starters. I would insist on a refund they have to provide one be in insisting.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:46 PM

Last edited by Dewey Cox; 01-16-2021 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Not my best work
Old 01-16-2021, 05:15 PM

I feel your pain . Been there , done that , and west jet would not budge on their policy eventhough i was just a few months over 12

Last edited by liar; 01-16-2021 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:09 PM

In the mean time, they're laying off staff, cutting routes and selling planes. If they fail, you're out of luck. "Consumers are entitled to a refund by law ".

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/are-ca...ghts-1.5000754

Grizz
Old 01-16-2021, 07:11 PM
AO Sponsor

I fortunately had flight insurance on our west jet flights to Europe this past summer and while it was a grind and took me almost 8 months of not giving up as they tried to keep running me through circles, the insurance company paid out at the end of November, plus I still have the credit for 24 months with west jet. I am pretty thankful they came through!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 01-17-2021, 06:59 AM
Banned

West Jet Credits are good for 24 months due to the Pandemic. West Jet is refunding your money if requested.

All you have to do is go to their website.

Which takes about the same amount of time as typing the initial rant.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:53 AM

I have the same thing with United. Flight credits are good for two years. Because they are US based they do not have to give a full refund, just have to offer credits.

I have cancellation insurance through my credit card company so I talked to them. They said that a credit counts as a refund, however if they expire before I am able to use them the insurance would kick in. Might be something to discuss with your credit card company.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 01-17-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357Maximum View Post
West Jet Credits are good for 24 months due to the Pandemic. West Jet is refunding your money if requested.

Yup. Or click on the link I provided. It has all the info and a link to the form you need to fill out.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357Maximum View Post

I think our definitions of rant differ but my i will take the hint and keep this short. My heart leapt with joy at your news that refund was only clicks away but alas after talking with a Westjet rep I am told that a refund is not available.

Oh cruel world.

Perhaps you have a Covid cure instead?
Old 01-17-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
I think our definitions of rant differ but my i will take the hint and keep this short. My heart leapt with joy at your news that refund was only clicks away but alas after talking with a Westjet rep I am told that a refund is not available.

Oh cruel world.

Perhaps you have a Covid cure instead?
Why isn’t a refund available? As long as WJ cancelled your flight you should be good. Our flight to Paris and our return from London were cancelled. We were waiting for them to contact us but when the wife called they told her we had to fill out the paperwork in the link I provided.

We were waffling on keeping the credit with them rather than get the cash back. Would be nice if they offered you something for keeping your money with them. Maybe free upgrade, 10% added to your credit, etc... something as an incentive to a multi million dollar company needing my $4k more than me.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:52 AM

Westjet or Air Canada cancels flight, refuses refund, offers credit only. Contact your Credit Card company and put in a claim for non-delivery of goods. You usually only have 60 to 90 days from cancellation to do this. You do not need to go through your cancellation insurance claim first. Might as well get your money back from the skell airline as make an insurance cough it up.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:11 PM

Coincidently my wife received an email yesterday stating our refund had been approved. She called in today and the cost of the flight was refunded.

We were supposed to fly to London last April and home from Paris in May. They were two separate bookings so we only received our refund for the flight to London. They were only processing flights that were cancelled up to mid-April and since we had 2 bookings, with one being in May, we will have to call back once they are processing May flights.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
Why isn’t a refund available? As long as WJ cancelled your flight you should be good. Our flight to Paris and our return from London were cancelled. We were waiting for them to contact us but when the wife called they told her we had to fill out the paperwork in the link I provided.

We were waffling on keeping the credit with them rather than get the cash back. Would be nice if they offered you something for keeping your money with them. Maybe free upgrade, 10% added to your credit, etc... something as an incentive to a multi million dollar company needing my $4k more than me.
European law is clear. Any cancelation by the airline and passengers get a refund. Flights to or from European Union apply. Inside Canada...there is ... confusion. Airlines don’t have the money to pay back.

I am also curious why they said they won’t refund.

Maybe they are hoping for Trudeau bucks to pay you back with your tax money?

I seem to recall an article stating that if you booked a trip...knowing Covid is a concern you were supposed to either take your chances or have trip cancelation insurance.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-18-2021, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I seem to recall an article stating that if you booked a trip...knowing Covid is a concern you were supposed to either take your chances or have trip cancelation insurance.
If you book a flight before the end of February with WJ you can cancel your flight with no charge. You don’t get a refund but you do get a travel credit you can use for 24 months.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel-info/change-cancel
Old 01-19-2021, 10:09 AM

https://airpassengerrights.ca/en/abo...m/gabor-lukacs

Check out this site. I followed their guides and ended up disputing the charges with my BMO MC. I was refunded the entire amount within 90 days.

Gabor and his team are top notch!
Old 01-19-2021, 09:52 PM

i think the issue is that we followed the Govcanada advisory and cancelled our flight three days before leaving and although the flight was eventually cancelled, we fall into a different category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
European law is clear. Any cancelation by the airline and passengers get a refund. Flights to or from European Union apply. Inside Canada...there is ... confusion. Airlines don’t have the money to pay back.

I am also curious why they said they won’t refund.

Maybe they are hoping for Trudeau bucks to pay you back with your tax money?

Old 01-20-2021, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Our family holiday to Mexico was canceled in March last due to COVID-19 and rather than refund us $6000 they issued some kind flight credit in the future. I thought fair enough, ot like its particularly easy on the airline and reconciled to using them later this year.

I just read they disappear after 12 months. I should have asked my local MP if he wanted to use them over Xmas.
Our March trip was canceled, we were told by WestJet they extended it to 2 years to use the credit. They refused to give a refund because it wasn’t a direct flight.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:34 AM

I think the OP is talking about a westjet vacation being cancelled. Not just flights... westjet started issuing refunds for flights they cancelled, but NOT for westjet vacations. We’re in the same boat - a trip to Mexico last April was cancelled and we have 6,000 in westjet dollars. When we saw the 2-day quarantine they offer to flights coming in to Calgary, we Tried booking a vacation in December for this week, but then westjet changed their flights around and cancelled our trip. Now with the mandatory covid testing 3 days before flying in to Canada, we’re just going to wait for the end of covid.