Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
Friend just shared this video from Corb Lund where he talks about recent changes to the Alberta Coal Policy and opening of the eastern slopes to mountain top mining.

Apart from making good music he clearly definitely cares about folks in this province and what this all means. In my mind something we should be paying attention to as hunters/anglers and conservationists (and farmers). Give it a listen before you comment.
Does he cares for those thousands of folks that make a living of the mining industry directly and the tens of thousands of folks that benefit indirectly?

Need responsible development of natural resources while maintaining rigid controls to protect environment (likely the best in the world already but could be further improved) with rigid control for reclamation (we suck at this, lots of room to improve here).

We all don't make a living working for the government or because we are in the entertainment business. Seems like those people are anti-anything industrial.

I support "responsible & ethical" resource development. To that I say ramp it up.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Impressive list. Because of these environmental credentials, I have now changed my stance and support his cause.

That made my day.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
His list of awards...too bad some here don't have a clue...eh Griz/Tri777
Americana Music Honors & Awards

2010 Emerging Artist of the Year (nominated)
2010 Albums of the Year: No. 38

Gold Records

2002: Five Dollar Bill (As ranked by the Canadian Recording Industry Association)
2005: Hair in My Eyes Like a Highland Steer (As ranked by the Canadian Recording Industry Association)
2007: Horse Soldier! Horse Soldier! (As ranked by the Canadian Recording Industry Association)[24]

Western Canadian Music Awards

2008 Outstanding Roots Recording (WON)
2006 Outstanding Independent Recording (WON)
2006 Outstanding Roots Recording (WON)
2006 Songwriter of the Year (WON)
2005 Entertainer of the Year (WON)
2003 Outstanding Album (Independent) (WON)
2017 Roots Solo Artist of the Year[25]

Edmonton Music Awards (Canada)

2013 Male Artist of the Year (WON)
2013 Country Artist of the Year (WON)
2013 People's Choice Award (WON)
2013 Best Country Artist (nominated)

Edmonton Mayor's Celebration of the Arts Awards (Canada)

2013 Ambassador of the Arts (WON)

CMC Music Awards (Australia)

2011 International Artist of the Year (nominated)

Canadian Folk Music Awards

2008 English Songwriter of the Year (WON)

U.S. Independent Music Awards

2007 Best Folk/Singer-Songwriter Album (nominated)
2003 Country/Bluegrass Album of the Year (nominated)

Country Music Association (Australia)

2007 Global Country Artist Award (nominated)

Indie Acoustic Project

Best Lyrics, "Best CDs of 2007" Awards (WON)
Best Male Singer-Songwriter, "Best CDs of 2006" Awards (nominated)

The Indies (Canadian Independent Music Awards)

2008 Favourite Folk Artist/Group (WON)
2007 Favourite Country Artist, Group or Duo of the Year (WON)
2006 Favourite Folk Artist/Group (WON)

French Association of Country Music (France)

2006 Independent Artist of the Year (WON)
2005 Independent Artist of the Year (WON)

Canadian Association for Campus Activities

2007 Best Contemporary Music (Recording) (WON)
And not one of those awards has a thing to do with the issue he is talking about

Now if he was talking about the music industry’s it would be a different story. His music is not for me but I could respect he had knowledge of the industry
Old 01-14-2021, 12:07 PM

Default Coal Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
His list of awards...too bad some here don't have a clue...eh Griz/Tri777
Americana Music Honors & Awards

2010 Emerging Artist of the Year (nominated)
2010 Albums of the Year: No. 38

Gold Records

2002: Five Dollar Bill (As ranked by the Canadian Recording Industry Association)
2005: Hair in My Eyes Like a Highland Steer (As ranked by the Canadian Recording Industry Association)
2007: Horse Soldier! Horse Soldier! (As ranked by the Canadian Recording Industry Association)[24]

Western Canadian Music Awards

2008 Outstanding Roots Recording (WON)
2006 Outstanding Independent Recording (WON)
2006 Outstanding Roots Recording (WON)
2006 Songwriter of the Year (WON)
2005 Entertainer of the Year (WON)
2003 Outstanding Album (Independent) (WON)
2017 Roots Solo Artist of the Year[25]

Edmonton Music Awards (Canada)

2013 Male Artist of the Year (WON)
2013 Country Artist of the Year (WON)
2013 People's Choice Award (WON)
2013 Best Country Artist (nominated)

Edmonton Mayor's Celebration of the Arts Awards (Canada)

2013 Ambassador of the Arts (WON)

CMC Music Awards (Australia)

2011 International Artist of the Year (nominated)

Canadian Folk Music Awards

2008 English Songwriter of the Year (WON)

U.S. Independent Music Awards

2007 Best Folk/Singer-Songwriter Album (nominated)
2003 Country/Bluegrass Album of the Year (nominated)

Country Music Association (Australia)

2007 Global Country Artist Award (nominated)

Indie Acoustic Project

Best Lyrics, "Best CDs of 2007" Awards (WON)
Best Male Singer-Songwriter, "Best CDs of 2006" Awards (nominated)

The Indies (Canadian Independent Music Awards)

2008 Favourite Folk Artist/Group (WON)
2007 Favourite Country Artist, Group or Duo of the Year (WON)
2006 Favourite Folk Artist/Group (WON)

French Association of Country Music (France)

2006 Independent Artist of the Year (WON)
2005 Independent Artist of the Year (WON)

Canadian Association for Campus Activities

2007 Best Contemporary Music (Recording) (WON)
It's a well known fact that the entertainment industry leads the way when it comes to superfluous awards. That industry hands out awards and merit badges like Halloween candy. If it's not a Nobel prize, it's pretty much meaningless.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Another uneducated person from the entertainment industry yapping is all I see in the video
This^
Old 01-14-2021, 12:47 PM

Well, what would have been good is a little public consultation prior to making changes to an act that that was brought in over 40 years ago. Brought in by the Conservative Laugheed government.

Nope, it was repealed on the friday before a long weekend in the middle of a pandemic.
And it's not just one mine, Grassy Mtn, there's 6 applications that run from south of hiway 3 up the 940 to North of The Old Man river. That's one huge swath of land that could have major changes made to it.

I'm all for responsible resource development, but this seems to go beyond that.

PLUS I HUNT THAT AREA! 90% of my hunting is on crown land or grazing leases. This is a problem that effects many Alberta Outdoorsmen.

I get the economy needs help, heck I got let go in June, but some things are worth leaving intact in my opinion, logging sure, wells sure, but turning a mountain into something that resembles Mordor......No thanks.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
Well, what would have been good is a little public consultation prior to making changes to an act that that was brought in over 40 years ago. Brought in by the Conservative Laugheed government.

Nope, it was repealed on the friday before a long weekend in the middle of a pandemic.
And it's not just one mine, Grassy Mtn, there's 6 applications that run from south of hiway 3 up the 940 to North of The Old Man river. That's one huge swath of land that could have major changes made to it.

I'm all for responsible resource development, but this seems to go beyond that.

PLUS I HUNT THAT AREA! 90% of my hunting is on crown land or grazing leases. This is a problem that effects many Alberta Outdoorsmen.

I get the economy needs help, heck I got let go in June, but some things are worth leaving intact in my opinion, logging sure, wells sure, but turning a mountain into something that resembles Mordor......No thanks.
well I could go with redeveloping the existing mines on a 25 year plan. We do not have a lot to say about tent mountain as it is mostly in B.C.
Put the headwaters of the Oldman river in the Cabin Ridge area off limits for development. For the first phase of 25 years allow only 3 mines not 6
Old 01-14-2021, 04:02 PM

From Alberta website. Doesn’t sound as sinister as he is making it out to be. Just updating a policy that is over 40 years old.

Rescission of the Coal Policy
Government is rescinding A Coal Development Policy for Alberta (Coal Policy), effective June 1, 2020. See Information Letter 2020-23 and Coal Information Bulletin 2020-02 for more information.
The Coal Policy was originally published in 1976, before modern regulatory processes existed. The scope of the policy was wide-ranging and included, among other items, a land use classification system. The policy divided the province into four categories which dictated where and how coal leasing, exploration and development could occur. When these categories were created, land use planning hadn’t yet been completed, supporting infrastructure was lacking and there were environmental concerns that the existing regulatory processes weren’t equipped to address.
With the various regulatory, policy and planning advancements over the past 45 years, the Coal Policy became obsolete.
Former category 1 lands will continue to be protected from coal leasing, exploration and development on public lands but will not infringe on private lands or freehold mineral rights. This will support critical watersheds, biodiversity (including numerous species at risk), as well as recreation and tourism activities along the eastern slopes of Alberta’s Rocky Mountains. Leasing outside of these areas will be subject to the same land use planning and management rules that apply to all other resources and industrial uses.
All coal development projects will continue to be considered through the existing rigorous Alberta Energy Regulator review process. This review is based on each project’s merits, including its economic, social and environmental impacts.
The original intention of the Coal Policy was to ensure that there were appropriate regulatory and environmental protection measures in place before new coal projects were authorized—this objective is being met by today’s modern regulatory, land use planning and leasing systems.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnluvr View Post
From Alberta website. Doesn’t sound as sinister as he is making it out to be. Just updating a policy that is over 40 years old.

Rescission of the Coal Policy
Government is rescinding A Coal Development Policy for Alberta (Coal Policy), effective June 1, 2020. See Information Letter 2020-23 and Coal Information Bulletin 2020-02 for more information.
The Coal Policy was originally published in 1976, before modern regulatory processes existed. The scope of the policy was wide-ranging and included, among other items, a land use classification system. The policy divided the province into four categories which dictated where and how coal leasing, exploration and development could occur. When these categories were created, land use planning hadn’t yet been completed, supporting infrastructure was lacking and there were environmental concerns that the existing regulatory processes weren’t equipped to address.
With the various regulatory, policy and planning advancements over the past 45 years, the Coal Policy became obsolete.
Former category 1 lands will continue to be protected from coal leasing, exploration and development on public lands but will not infringe on private lands or freehold mineral rights. This will support critical watersheds, biodiversity (including numerous species at risk), as well as recreation and tourism activities along the eastern slopes of Alberta’s Rocky Mountains. Leasing outside of these areas will be subject to the same land use planning and management rules that apply to all other resources and industrial uses.
All coal development projects will continue to be considered through the existing rigorous Alberta Energy Regulator review process. This review is based on each project’s merits, including its economic, social and environmental impacts.
The original intention of the Coal Policy was to ensure that there were appropriate regulatory and environmental protection measures in place before new coal projects were authorized—this objective is being met by today’s modern regulatory, land use planning and leasing systems.
Well, if you simply take the government’s word for it, I suppose that’s fine. One of Corb’s points was that a dialogue and consultation with all the stakeholders (Albertans) was needed, and obviously did not happen. This is more than just a pattern with this government.

There are many stakeholders here with a lot to lose, potentially. Ranchers, farmers, citizens who use the area to hunt, fish, etc. Apparently many Albertans drinking water.

Pros:
- Jobs

Cons:
- Permanent Environmental impact
- Risk to drinking water
- Risk to water supply for agriculture
- Loss of habitat for outdoor activities

Other than jobs, will there be significant royalty money to the province in exchange for permanent impacting prime lands? Nobody knows?

Will local companies benefit? From what I can see, no, just foreign ones.

Will the Canadian steel industry benefit? Sounds like maybe just China. (Side note: I machine O&G parts... none of our customers use steel from China or India... it’s not good enough)

What happens if water is contaminated? How many Albertans could this affect? There isn’t a lot of water in this province... so that one in particular really worries me. Admittedly, I need to look into this more. I’m guessing most people on the forum are in the same boat.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:25 PM

Opinions are just that. But he's not wrong and the jobs from said mines aren't in the 10s of thousands. The juice ain't worth the squeeze in my OPINION.

Lots of fake outdoorsmen snowflakes whining about opinions around here.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:56 PM

It is not a question IF the water will be contaminated with Selenium. It will be for decades to come, and just increasing in concentration over time.
Water that flows down to Lethbridge and into irrigation canals to be spread over fields.
What a great legacy to leave your grandkids

Selenium levels from the Elk River valley are growing yearly way downstream across the US border. Those are facts.
I guess you can choose to ignore them for the short term and screw the people that come after you. And just ignore the impact on the fish populations.
The long term costs are not worth the short term benefits
Old 01-15-2021, 07:33 AM

I see paul brandt is with cord also
Old 01-15-2021, 07:33 AM

Looks like its not just country singers that are speaking up! https://globalnews.ca/news/7577558/s...67T7Z7dq_7_iPo

Its also not just a change of policy. 3 different mining companies have opened offices in the Crowsnest in the last year or 2.

I really like the ranchers comment that he isn't anti resource but a 6" hole in the ground is a lot different than the top of a mountain disappearing.

All in the name of sending our resources to China.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:39 AM

In Canada we aren’t supposed to use coal anymore because it’s bad for the environment. Why is it ok to ship it to China for them to use? Don’t we all live on the same planet?
Old 01-15-2021, 07:50 AM

I thought this was a hot topic on river boats.

If it's not on the Bear, it doesn't sound musical to me.

If there's a buck to be made anywhere, make it. If it's not made by you, it will be made by someone else.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:16 AM

Does the ecconomic benifit outweigh impacts? Thats the question.
I honestly dont know enough about the details, but the economic benefits would need to be absolutley huge and be in place for generations.
Look at Butte Montana, i love Butte and have family there, they tore mountains down for copper. And they are left with a boom bust economy. There are some gorgeous buildings down town built in the good times, last time i was there most sat empty!
Old 01-15-2021, 08:49 AM

I’m a little torn, I work in the mining industry (gold) but these proposed coal mines would put an awful lot of pressure on a lot of things that I hold dear (I camp and fish down on the oldman most years and I have a trapline on the north ram)and as outdoorsmen we should try to conserve. The selenium is something that will impact our fisheries for decades if not more to come, put on top of that even more fishing pressure that will come out of happen as a result of a bunch more men in the area. In addition coal mines take a fair land base which can impact our ungulates. I’m not too sure why we would need to start building a bunch of new coal mines when we have a number of older ones sitting inactive, the coal jobs are there only as long as coal prices remain decent, remember that, the mountains and rivers are forever.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:25 AM

Not many jobs from modern day coal mine. Just a few rock truck drivers and a shovel loader. We have 'Never' received much royalty $$ from coal in Alberta. If my memory serves me well we got less than $1.00/ ton from Grande Cache coal. Leave our mountains alone for fresh water and hunting for our grand children.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:38 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
Does the ecconomic benifit outweigh impacts? Thats the question.
I honestly dont know enough about the details, but the economic benefits would need to be absolutley huge and be in place for generations.
Look at Butte Montana, i love Butte and have family there, they tore mountains down for copper. And they are left with a boom bust economy. There are some gorgeous buildings down town built in the good times, last time i was there most sat empty!
I'm in the same boat. I don't know enough to take sides.

Why is selenium an issue?

All I know about selenium is that it's an essential mineral that occurs naturally in soils and water. Can it be toxic at some level, I don't know.

I also wonder if coal is what is wanted why not develop the deposit north of Hines Creek? Is it the wrong kind of coal, is the deposit not big enough.

I have questions but no answers, so I'll sit this one out.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-15-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Not many jobs from modern day coal mine. Just a few rock truck drivers and a shovel loader. We have 'Never' received much royalty $$ from coal in Alberta. If my memory serves me well we got less than $1.00/ ton from Grande Cache coal. Leave our mountains alone for fresh water and hunting for our grand children.
Most mines I worked at in the past just for the mine OPs will run 2-3 shovels, 2-4 escalators, 10-25 haul trucks, 2-4 loaders, 2-4 dozers and 2-4 graders for equipment alone. Then you have around 5-10 man labor crew for electrical/pipe, 2-4 blasters, 1 lead hand, 1 shifter. This would be just the OPs division and you can times those numbers by 4 because there will be 4 crews

You still have HR, management, truckers, environmental, survey and depending on what level they are processing to there will be a crew running the processing plant

An operating mine provides a good number of jobs that pay really well. The downside is the lack of reliability because mining sees more ups and downs then oil/gas industry

Everyone will have a different opinion on if it’s worth while or not but we should be honest about the advantages and disadvantages. There will be environmental impact but most in opposition are exaggerating. It will bring good paying jobs but for those in support need to realize theses are not going to last forever and it’s a fragile market

As an ex employee of the mining industry I see the honest benefits and disadvantages
Old 01-15-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Most mines I worked at in the past just for the mine OPs will run 2-3 shovels, 2-4 escalators, 10-25 haul trucks, 2-4 loaders, 2-4 dozers and 2-4 graders for equipment alone. Then you have around 5-10 man labor crew for electrical/pipe, 2-4 blasters, 1 lead hand, 1 shifter. This would be just the OPs division and you can times those numbers by 4 because there will be 4 crews

You still have HR, management, truckers, environmental, survey and depending on what level they are processing to there will be a crew running the processing plant

An operating mine provides a good number of jobs that pay really well. The downside is the lack of reliability because mining sees more ups and downs then oil/gas industry

Everyone will have a different opinion on if it’s worth while or not but we should be honest about the advantages and disadvantages. There will be environmental impact but most in opposition are exaggerating. It will bring good paying jobs but for those in support need to realize theses are not going to last forever and it’s a fragile market

As an ex employee of the mining industry I see the honest benefits and disadvantages
Bingo, construction would employ more people but once it settles into operation probably 200 give or take. I wish they would just expand existing operations in existing watersheds myself, I’m most concerned that these mines could prove to be a tipping point on some of the most heavily used recreational areas in the province. For a resource that is just a cyclical as o&g if not more so I don’t know if it’s worth it considering we have existing areas that could increase production. There are some potential benefits to be sure but it’s a big risk and it’s a big gamble in an area that is used by so many. Out of everything that the ucp is doing now this could hurt their support from their base, I don’t see this helping their chances of re-election. Outdoorsmen typically largely support them and typically constitute a good section of their base and if their base is heavily divided on this it could be bad, I’d have a hard time voting for someone who kills my fishing rivers and I’m about as reliable of a conservative voter as there is, we have a hard enough time conserving out West Country without throwing multiple coal mines into the mix.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Bingo, construction would employ more people but once it settles into operation probably 200 give or take. I wish they would just expand existing operations in existing watersheds myself, I’m most concerned that these mines could prove to be a tipping point on some of the most heavily used recreational areas in the province. For a resource that is just a cyclical as o&g if not more so I don’t know if it’s worth it considering we have existing areas that could increase production. There are some potential benefits to be sure but it’s a big risk and it’s a big gamble in an area that is used by so many. Out of everything that the ucp is doing now this could hurt their support from their base, I don’t see this helping their chances of re-election. Outdoorsmen typically largely support them and typically constitute a good section of their base and if their base is heavily divided on this it could be bad, I’d have a hard time voting for someone who kills my fishing rivers and I’m about as reliable of a conservative voter as there is, we have a hard enough time conserving out West Country without throwing multiple coal mines into the mix.
I would also rather see reopening of old leases or expansion of existing mines if it’s viable. But I lack the knowledge of Alberta’s mines to say if they have the quality or sufficient deposits to do it.

Even if this was an option the proposal would still be met with a lot of the same opposition

Personally what I have seen outside of Alberta is most coal mines have a 5year life before there is a shutdown, sold to another company, or some kind of slowdown. So I would view these mines as short term gain. Coal is one industry I would not work in again.

If it was a more stable mineral I would see them as a big positive but coal is boom bust employment
Old 01-15-2021, 12:26 PM

I was sent this today so just passing it on as I have yet to base my opinion;

1. Alberta has cancelled a blanket environmental protection against pit coal mines dubbed the "Coal Policy" of 1976.

2. The result is that 1.4 million hectares of territory with moderate to high environmental sensitivity and where mining was only allowed if "surface effects of the operation are deemed to be environmentally acceptable" are now open to mining applications.

3. The first of so far seven contemplated mines projects is by Benga Mining Ltd., owned through a series of entities to the tune of 85% by Gina Rinehart the Australian billionaire has plans to develop a 1,500-hectare mine on top of Grassy Mountain (north of the town of Blairmore), to produce 4.5-million tonnes annually of metallurgical (steel-making) coal for Asian markets. While the $ 800 million to $ 1 billion dollar project would bring economic stimulus and potentially up to 400 full-time jobs for the region it would create irreversible impact on wildlife, air and water quality, and the most obvious one the landscape - like Homer Simpson would says “D'oh” – once the mountain is gone, it is gone. In addition for those that treasure their outdoor activities there will be a significant lifestyle impact.

4. The biggest concern is water. The Selenium leaching from manmade mountains of waste rock will contaminate waterways in the area (this is a well documented fact as a result of the existing Teck mines in the Elk Valley - 2014 an expert report prepared for Environment Canada addresses the toxicity found in the water). Canada has 20% of the world’s drinking water, but Alberta accounts for only 2.2% of Canada’s fresh water and when Selenium leaks leaks into the South Saskatchewan River Basin it will have a drastic impact on the water supply of millions of people and the cost of mitigating and or dealing with that will by far exceed the economic stimulus offered by open pit mining.

5. Here is the link to express your opinion to the government: https://iaac-aeic.gc.ca/050/evaluations/proj/80101
Click on the link, scroll down and submit your comments.

In case you want to sign a petition against this:
https://www.change.org/p/alberta-gov...nadian-rockies
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic.jpg (57.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-15-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I would also rather see reopening of old leases or expansion of existing mines if it’s viable. But I lack the knowledge of Alberta’s mines to say if they have the quality or sufficient deposits to do it.

Even if this was an option the proposal would still be met with a lot of the same opposition

Personally what I have seen outside of Alberta is most coal mines have a 5year life before there is a shutdown, sold to another company, or some kind of slowdown. So I would view these mines as short term gain. Coal is one industry I would not work in again.

If it was a more stable mineral I would see them as a big positive but coal is boom bust employment
Yup I’m not sold primarily because it’s coal, in new areas. The boom bust, selenium issues and sheer land base requirements of coal are definitely big negatives. As far as deposits go I’d bet existing mine site have enough reserves for carrying through a few more boom bust cycles. Mine out those areas completely, reclaim before starting new ones imho.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:04 PM

Wink

So an Australian company is making money destroying the environment in Alberta so that china can make steel? And Alberta gets 1% royalties.... this doesn't sound like a great idea with the arrangement as is.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:12 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
So an Australian company is making money destroying the environment in Alberta so that china can make steel? And Alberta gets 1% royalties.... this doesn't sound like a great idea with the arrangement as is.
for the most part anything we do as Canadians doesn't make sense when we have the resources we should skip out the middle men and do all in house...but...butt..buttt...look who is at the helm.

Corb had it right...long gone to Saskatchewan ...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-15-2021, 03:25 PM

Maybe we should all work for the Government and join AUPE...

And get a pension for life and early retirement at 55...

Who needs resource extraction industries...

It's not like the province was founded on those dirty polluting industries...

Mining...Oil and Gas...Logging...Farming...Ranching...Agriculture in general...

A bit of sarcasm, don't take offense...rant over...lol...

Last edited by mac1983; 01-15-2021 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
Maybe we should all work for the Government and join AUPE...

And get a pension for life and early retirement at 55...

Who needs resource extraction industries...

It's not like the province was founded on those dirty polluting industries...

Mining...Oil and Gas...Logging...Farming...Ranching...Agriculture in general...

A bit of sarcasm, don't take offense...rant over...lol...
How does Australia getting all the money for Canadian resources fit into your common sense plan?
Old 01-15-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
How does Australia getting all the money for Canadian resources fit into your common sense plan?
Well that's a good question...

Maybe a link stating Australia gets all the money may help?

I will admit my experience is oil and gas...

I am assuming the royalty structure is the same mining vs oil and gas, I could be wrong?

I have worked for oil and gas companies from around the world Canada, US, UK, Middle East, Europe, China and Australia...

They all pay the same royalties as Canadian companies...

They hire Canadians to do the work here in Canada...

These companies in the resource extraction business are multinational...

Nature of the beast...

Barring foreign companies from doing work in Canada would distort the market and we would be left out of the marketplace...
Old 01-15-2021, 06:56 PM

I would say that Corb Lund has succeeded in the sense that he raised awareness that there's an issue for us to disagree on! I think many Albertans didn't have any idea about the changes to open pit mining in the Eastern slopes.

I fully admit that when it comes to this I'm biased. If this were taking place in Hanna or Oyen I'd care less, but I spend time in areas that will be effected.

Here's another aspect to consider:
coal is $130/tonne. The royalties will be $1.30USD/tonne. But that's after they get up and running. Well there's already a lawsuit siting "failure to consult". But they're not suing the mining companies, they're suing the AB govt. So you and me will be investing in legal bills for the next who knows how long, just to pave the way for the mining companies to get going. Does that sound like a sensible investment?
What does every environemntalist hate more than pipelines? COAL! They will sue and sue and sue over this.