Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2021, 11:32 AM

Default Transporting a vehicle question.

I'm looking at possibly buying a vehicle in Medicine Hat, it's an older pickup like my own,is there any reasonable way to have it delivered to me here in Camrose ? Thank you for any replies.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:34 AM

Car carriers make those trips every day. Cost should be about $300 if it goes on a load already coming up.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:52 AM

Of course,

Instead of trying to find a carrier locally, talk to one in Medicine Hat..... find a backhaul. You can take advantage of somone bringing a car up north and then being empty going back...save yourself a little money.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Of course,

Instead of trying to find a carrier locally, talk to one in Medicine Hat..... find a backhaul. You can take advantage of somone bringing a car up north and then being empty going back...save yourself a little money.

Other way round but yes that works. I will tell you, if you just hire someone with a flat deck doing a back hual from the Hat, make sure they know how to tie a pickup down properly. It isn't just as simple as many think it is and just lashing the axles to the trailer works for short hauls but longer distances it need to be done right. Also, make sure his insurance covers damage to the vehicle.
Old 01-20-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Other way round but yes that works. I will tell you, if you just hire someone with a flat deck doing a back hual from the Hat, make sure they know how to tie a pickup down properly. It isn't just as simple as many think it is and just lashing the axles to the trailer works for short hauls but longer distances it need to be done right. Also, make sure his insurance covers damage to the vehicle.
Oh yeah lol, I'm thinking he needs to go from Camrose the Med Hat.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:28 PM
Gone Hunting

I am considering buying a vehicle in Edmonton. From a dealer though.
Don't know if you are buying through a dealer.

I did ask about getting the vehicle I'm considering delivered to me. The dealer said it could be brought up on a scheduled delivery by a car carrier delivering new vehicles to a local dealer. For $477.00 my cost.

I trust the dealer. I have dealt with them before, so the only question now is do I want to take a chance on a vehicle I have not seen.

What happens if we don't find it fits our needs or if my wife doesn't like something about it. Maybe it lacks leg room, is hard to get in and out of, has poor driver vision aspects, or any of the other issues that make personal inspection a necessity.

It looks like I'll be heading to the city in the next few days but delivery is still an option.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-20-2021, 02:33 PM

If you ask nice, maybe there would be an AO'er on here in the Hat that would drive it up there for you for modest compensation. and return bus fare.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 01-20-2021, 02:41 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
If you ask nice, maybe there would be an AO'er on here in the Hat that would drive it up there for you for modest compensation. and return bus fare.
Are buses even running down there?

I know they aren't up here, nor are scheduled flights out of Peace River.
Or so I was told by Northern Express and the Northern Air Services.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-20-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
I'm looking at possibly buying a vehicle in Medicine Hat, it's an older pickup like my own,is there any reasonable way to have it delivered to me here in Camrose ? Thank you for any replies.
I can't speak from experience as I've never had something like this done, but I'm local to Camrose as well and know that there is a guy that runs hauler for hire in town, might be worth the call to him to get a quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brankon View Post
I can't speak from experience as I've never had something like this done, but I'm local to Camrose as well and know that there is a guy that runs hauler for hire in town, might be worth the call to him to get a quote
My nephew just bought one in gp last week. Drove up and he drove it back because air or bus wasn't an option and no car carrier available for at least 3 weeks. Would have been cheaper to ship it than the combined cost of gas up and back on the one vehicle, lunch for two and gas from gp to edm on the new truck
Old 01-20-2021, 04:23 PM

I bought a new F150 from an Edmonton dealer and they delivered it to my door step in Calgary - no charge
FYI
Old 01-21-2021, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
My nephew just bought one in gp last week. Drove up and he drove it back because air or bus wasn't an option and no car carrier available for at least 3 weeks. Would have been cheaper to ship it than the combined cost of gas up and back on the one vehicle, lunch for two and gas from gp to edm on the new truck
I agree 100%

I am a firm believer that my time costs me nothing, but sometimes my time ends up costing me a saturday or even a weekend, sometimes I wonder if my saturday of repacking wheel bearings on my trailer in the alley with crappy home tools was worth it when I could have dropped the trailer off at a shop and picked it up in an hour or 2 and then drank beer the rest of the day I guess I know how to do it now though