Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-18-2021, 11:15 PM

Default First handgun

Hey! I looked for info everywhere and couldn't find any new and relevant posts. I just ordered my first handgun. A cheap revolver. All I had to do online was pay and give them my PAL number. I keep hearing conflicting things about what I need to do now. Is there paper work I should be filling out? Or do I sit back and wait for a call from the CFO? Thanks in advance for the help fellas.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:02 AM

The seller should initiate the transfer with the CFC, then they should communicate to you the transfer reference number. You then call the CFC and give them the reference number to accept the transfer, then they will issue your relevant paperwork and you can get transferred to the provincial CFO to get your initial Authorization To Transport (ATT). There will likely be a question regarding your range membership, those can frequently be the source of delay if they have an expired date that you have since renewed.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:37 AM

You are not required to belong to range or provide proof that you belong to a range to own a handgun. All you are required to do is get the required paperwork (ATT) from place of purchase to your home authorized by the applicable CFO. If you want to use it that is a different story. Note I said owning a handgun.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyr Luxus View Post
You are not required to belong to range or provide proof that you belong to a range to own a handgun. All you are required to do is get the required paperwork (ATT) from place of purchase to your home authorized by the applicable CFO. If you want to use it that is a different story. Note I said owning a handgun.
But when you go to renew your PAL, the existing CFO won't approve it until you provide proof of a range membership, or you claim to be a collector, which could bring other requirements into the situation.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:54 AM

Pick it up from the post office and take it home. Don't open the package until you are home. The registration certificate will usually arrive in the mail before the firearm.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyr Luxus View Post
When you call cfo to confirm transfer of restricted firearm you will be asked some standard questions , one of them : “ what are you going to use this gun for?”.Ansfer: “ for target shooting “
If you don’t have range membership, what would be your answer? Home self defence?
Ps. If buyer doesn’t have range membership I think there will be problems with transfer
Pps. Planning to buy restricted I send rcmp email with new license to update my file every year unless ranges like Phoenix send themselves

Last edited by sailor; 01-23-2021 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytop B View Post
Pick it up from the post office and take it home. Don't open the package until you are home. The registration certificate will usually arrive in the mail before the firearm.
Usually later if you buying on CGN
Ps. My transfer approval never been more than 1 day except for the first hand gun
Ps. But I always ask for approval to be send by email

Last edited by sailor; 01-23-2021 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:02 AM

Default handgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
When you call cfo to confirm transfer of restricted firearm you will be asked some standard questions , one of them : “ what are you going to use this gun for?”.Ansfer: “ for target shooting “
If you don’t have range membership, what would be your answer? Home self defence?
Ps. If buyer doesn’t have range membership I think there will be problems with transfer
Pps. Planning to buy restricted I send rcmp email with new license to update my file every year unless ranges like Phoenix send themselves
Your answer would be target shooting, as far as range membership, it is pending.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:33 PM

I always purchased mine from a hunting store. They have always wanted my membership info for the gun range I belong to. The seller has always called
The CFO and initiated the process, the person at the CFO office always asked to talk to me basically to verify my address and for me to verify I am who I say I am. Pretty simple procedure with no problems. It takes only a few days for the paperwork to be ready and the store calls me to say I can come in and take it home.