Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-18-2021, 09:48 PM

Default Lowrance Active Target For Lake Trout

Well, the wait is over and my new Lowrance active target showed up! I wasted no time getting it on the lake. My first impressions were that this thing is an absolute game-changer. The details that this thing provides is absolutely insane. Hope you guys enjoy the footage!

https://youtu.be/SvDGBEChq2Q
Old 01-18-2021, 10:00 PM

Great video. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to see the Lowrance in some shallower water to see the detail. Looks like awesome tech.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:45 PM

love all this new tech. I really want to see it in shallow water.

the livescope you can see the whole body, tail, dorsal fins in real good detail. You can easily identify the fish on many occasions.

The active target so far the fish look like little blobs. I wonder if its because the deep water.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-19-2021, 08:46 AM

Looks about the same as LiveScope, which is a good thing. You're not going to see fins and tails and detail at that depth...a 12" fish is just a blip down at 70-80'. If you can get the fish moving really fast, the way a pike sometimes tears on and off the screen, you should be able to see the whole fish clearly at shallower settings. I just "leafed" through the video...there were definitely some hogs down there.

I'll be interested to see some videos at 15'-30' as well. That's nowhere near the picture Lowrance was posting in their promo vids. And I want to see if they fixed their stitching issues with software revisions. Looks fine in this video.

Welcome to the live imaging club. Almost feels like cheating doesn't it?
Old 01-19-2021, 04:54 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

That is a great piece of kit..nice to see them coming in from the side.
Another great vid too and yup luved those colors..ohhh and move in a 58" big screen....easier on the neck and eyes.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Last edited by 58thecat; 01-19-2021 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:37 PM

Great video. It is such a difference when you can see how the fish react in real time. I’ve never fished for Lakers and I’m surprised how far up the water column they will travel chasing the bait. You had a good day catching and that makes it even better when you trying out new equipment. Thanks for posting and best of luck on your next adventure.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:38 AM

Neat video thanks, being able to see direction and a little more interaction with the bait would be an upgrade to regular sonar for certain. Would sure be nice to have it come down in price a bit though.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:59 AM

a real game changer going to be looking into this new technology thanks for posting video
Old 01-20-2021, 11:41 AM

I was really intrigued by this kit as well however the price is ridiculous. I am extremely jealous though, don't get me wrong :] A company needs to make an ice only version of this instead and bring the cost way down.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egymcara View Post
I was really intrigued by this kit as well however the price is ridiculous. I am extremely jealous though, don't get me wrong :] A company needs to make an ice only version of this instead and bring the cost way down.
If any company was gonna do it then it would have to be marcum tech. they like bells and whistles and only do Ice fishing.

Respect wildlife
Old 01-21-2021, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remps17 View Post
Great video. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to see the Lowrance in some shallower water to see the detail. Looks like awesome tech.
Most of my time is spent out on Cold Lake chasing lakers but maybe I will have to make an adventure out to chase some shallow water fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
love all this new tech. I really want to see it in shallow water.

the livescope you can see the whole body, tail, dorsal fins in real good detail. You can easily identify the fish on many occasions.

The active target so far the fish look like little blobs. I wonder if its because the deep water.
100% you will not be able to see the fins in that deep of water like that on either unit. I've seen the comparison and in my opinion the narrower angle on the active target provides a much more detailed image compared to the livescope

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Looks about the same as LiveScope, which is a good thing. You're not going to see fins and tails and detail at that depth...a 12" fish is just a blip down at 70-80'. If you can get the fish moving really fast, the way a pike sometimes tears on and off the screen, you should be able to see the whole fish clearly at shallower settings. I just "leafed" through the video...there were definitely some hogs down there.

I'll be interested to see some videos at 15'-30' as well. That's nowhere near the picture Lowrance was posting in their promo vids. And I want to see if they fixed their stitching issues with software revisions. Looks fine in this video.

Welcome to the live imaging club. Almost feels like cheating doesn't it?
100% it feels like cheating! So much more information to use to help make good decisions for a successful day.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
That is a great piece of kit..nice to see them coming in from the side.
Another great vid too and yup luved those colors..ohhh and move in a 58" big screen....easier on the neck and eyes.
Need to fish in one of those ice palaces with the tv hanging on the wall I keep seeing photos of! You'll have to stop by on the ice and check it out this winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
Great video. It is such a difference when you can see how the fish react in real time. I’ve never fished for Lakers and I’m surprised how far up the water column they will travel chasing the bait. You had a good day catching and that makes it even better when you trying out new equipment. Thanks for posting and best of luck on your next adventure.
Usually the fish higher in the water column are generally you're more active fish. If you can convince them you're lure is a meal getting away you will never be able to out reel them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Neat video thanks, being able to see direction and a little more interaction with the bait would be an upgrade to regular sonar for certain. Would sure be nice to have it come down in price a bit though.
With humminbird coming into the market this spring I'm sure that they will start getting a little more competitive with pricing
Old 01-21-2021, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
a real game changer going to be looking into this new technology thanks for posting video
If you spend lots of time on the water you wont regret it thats for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egymcara View Post
The newest tech always comes at a price. I'm pretty excited to get this unit into the boat this summer to scout for some new areas when fishing shallow water lakers in Manitoba
Old 01-21-2021, 08:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Text me next time you are out....I am up at 5am most days

I'll bring the big screen tv and the accessories to tie into your new toy as long as we can play a few games of asteroids too when the bite slows down

Like you mentioned once you get to play with this new toy more you'll have better understanding and results too...man technology eh....simply incredible.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-21-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavster View Post
With humminbird coming into the market this spring I'm sure that they will start getting a little more competitive with pricing

I sure hope you're right about this because with Iphone,Samsung,Nokia,LG

It still seems like the iphone goes up in price still

Respect wildlife
Old 01-21-2021, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Text me next time you are out....I am up at 5am most days

I'll bring the big screen tv and the accessories to tie into your new toy as long as we can play a few games of asteroids too when the bite slows down

Like you mentioned once you get to play with this new toy more you'll have better understanding and results too...man technology eh....simply incredible.
Bring an iPad with the Link app installed and connect to his Elite FS over wifi and then open the Link app and you can then output your iPad to the tv and watch away. Would be awesome to see big
Old 01-22-2021, 12:19 PM

Really good vid
Old 01-24-2021, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhere View Post
Really good vid
Thanks Fishwhere I appreciate it!
Old 01-24-2021, 09:28 AM

Awesome! Does that unit accept C-Maps?
Old 01-25-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
Awesome! Does that unit accept C-Maps?
C-MAP base map and C-MAP Genesis Live mapping are included with the unit. It also has a single SD card slot.

Lowrance is miles ahead of Humminbird and Garmin if mapping is your thing. ReefMaster FTW.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:44 PM

That was totally awesome man. I'm now gonna order the Active Target. Thanks for sharing, very well done.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:44 PM

Check out the Garmin Panoptix. Very cool what they have on the market as well.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:13 AM

Lowrance Active Target *is* Garmin LiveScope. Garmin Panoptix is a step down, but still very effective. Lowrance LiveSight is a turd. Active Imaging 101 class dismissed.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:48 AM

Awesome video Weavster. These live sonar systems are definitely changing fishing, they’re pretty incredible. I can’t wait to get my Active Target and put it through it’s paces this summer.

If you’re looking to compare -

Garmin Livescope = Lowrance Active Target
Garmin Panoptix = Lowrance LiveSight.

Livescope/Active Target and Panoptix/LiveSight are very different products with very different intended uses. They are both very effective tools if you understand what they do and use them accordingly.