Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-24-2009, 07:20 PM

Default Anyone else seeing alot of wolf sign this year?

I have been out in WMU 340 and 346 and am seeing lots of wolf sign. Haven't seen alot of game but i chalk that up to the heat. I don't remember seeing as much wolf sign in past years. Hope i can see the actual wolves soon.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:52 PM

Was in 400 for 3 days. I spoke to 2 ranchers who said there was nothing but wolves in Yarrow Canyon. I saw no sign of sheep or elk, just wolf tracks everywhere. Wonder if they would come to a coyote yelp call.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:07 PM

Tons of them. We saw more wolf sign than anything in WMU 350. Even in WMU 349 we had wolves howling within a mile or two of camp. A trapper friend in 350 said he has never seen so many wolves.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:34 PM

Thumbs up wolves

I had an encounter with a pack of wolves during bow season, I was cow calling heard a snap and then next thing I know there's 3 of the toothy buggers beside me, shot 1 that came to 10 yards and just staired. I've heard them quite often, I think they know I'm carrying a big stick (300mag).
Old 09-24-2009, 08:44 PM

I've seen more wolf sign this year then any other. I had one on my trail camera at my bear bait this year as well. Once he showed up my bear numbers on my trail camera went down.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:20 PM

didn't see any this past weekend but heard a couple Saturday evening, saw a fair bit in the way of tracks and scat.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:28 PM

Was in 340 tuesday and saw a set of wolf prints. Last year the farmers in 348 they've been seeing an increase in wovles and cougars out that way.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:49 PM

Don't know about this year yet but last year in the Edson area there were more wolves and wolf sign than ever before. Had a bunch howling at me no more than 200 yards off 10 minutes after I filled my bull moose draw.

Every road and cutline had wolf tracks along it in various places.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:50 PM

Anyone seen ny up in the Fox Creek area heading up there next week and would love to bag one if I could..
Thanks in advance
G
Old 09-24-2009, 11:08 PM

Default wolf......

We hunted up by in that area for the last 5 days, seen a wolf every day, also saw 2 cougar in the same area 2 weeks ago
Old 09-24-2009, 11:21 PM

Location: somewhere between the garage,work and the great outdoors

spent the last two weeks 339-340 and came across a lot of wolf and bear scat. bear in 339, wolf in 340, still managed to fill 2 out of 4 tags (both 5x5 bull elk) sad fact but if you find wolves the elk aren't to far away and if you find the elk the wolves aren't to far behind!
Old 09-24-2009, 11:21 PM

Have seen quite a few wolf tracks in the Willmore, I spent almost 40 days in there in the last couple months on horseback. Had them howling near our camp one night, and just as one of our group was heading to bed a couple wolves chased our hobbled horses past him he got a good look at two of them.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:34 AM

listen to them across the lake every night, so cool
Old 09-25-2009, 11:10 AM

Sounds pretty universal. I hope I get a chance to assist in population control!

I am envious of the success on Elk being reported. I haven't seen or heard one yet.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:58 AM

We heard lots of wolves and saw lots of wolf and bear sign in 339 last week.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:19 PM

lots of wolf sign in 328 up the Jackfish Lake Road this summer..wife and I were camping/riding twice up there......never head them howl though...and I was listening...
Old 09-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Banned

not only seeing lots of sign killed 3 so far this season would like to to kill about 30-50 more
Old 09-25-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin View Post
not only seeing lots of sign killed 3 so far this season would like to to kill about 30-50 more
X2

i have seen more wolfs (+ sign) in the last 2 years than i have ever seen in my area in the last 20 + years. Every land owner i have spoke with says to take as many as i can. like i have posted ealier, in my area the deer #'s are down. i know some will say that i am not seeing as many because of the warm weather but i am speaking on a 2 year basis. i will shoot every one i see despite how good my deer or moose set up may be. btw i am in the NE forest fringe
Old 09-26-2009, 11:58 AM

Shot two in 328, lots around mostly singles and pairs.

They are chashing the game ragged, never seen the deer so spooked.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:49 PM

Just my 2 cents guys but if I see a wolf long enough to get crosshairs on it , its a dead wolf.
Do a google search on how many elk / caribou / etc a wolf eats in a year it will astound you.
If your seeing more and more then its time to thin them out a bit
Old 09-27-2009, 09:22 PM

Lots of wolves in Sask as well. Out walking in the bush the other day scouting for elk around dusk. Found a gut pile from an archery hunter so I turned around to leave. All of a sudden the pack started to howl and it sounded like one was within 50 m of me. Sent shivers up my spine. Kinda feel like carrying a rifle when I head out for an evening walk. Still haven't seen one long enough to get a shot on.
Also tons of coyotes and bears. Shot three coyotes within 10 minutes sitting in one spot.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:17 PM

Not just been seeing sign weve been seeing them , Yesterday morning , it was about 830 and we headed down a few places and there were two Black Timber wolves crossing the road , they were moving so fast didnt nore couldnt even get a shot off .And two days before the rifle opener we saw 2 pups , not sure if they were wolves or huge coyotes but same area as weve seen lots of other wolf sign so I figure and will stick with wolf pups.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:34 PM

lots up north in 515 on the k road.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:43 PM

seen 9 this year on saturday we took 3 by nordegg 2 blacks and a grey. a 300wsm sure aint fur friendly ..
Old 10-07-2009, 05:55 PM

my dad is out hunting they just seen 2 yesterday in 346 just too far away for a shot a white one and a black one
Old 10-07-2009, 06:32 PM

Default Here's a cool wolf story

Was guiding in the Yukon this past August September and had my greatest encounter in 7 years. Late in the evening while my hunter decided to retire for the day and read his book in the small high alpine cabin, I decided to glass for Moose and grizzly during the last hour of daylight. 150s yard from our cabin is the spotting knob from there you can see for miles. Behide the cabin is the air strip and a small hill. While I was sitting on the spotting knob, sure as heck I hear a large pack of wolves howling including what sounded like numerous pups. Having great luck in the past I quickly decided to answer with my best wolf howl. I no sooner puts my hands down and I could seen the unmistakable image of trotting wolves coming down the hill behind the cabin. Having my high def video camera set up on a tripod I quickly had the tape rolling. When I say wolves, I mean I never even did get a for sure head count. After watching the film and calling some in to as close as 50 yards the best I can come up with was 8-11 wolves including one huge beautiful white one obviously the boss. As these wolves keep coming over sky lines towards me I'm panicking trying to figure out how to get my hunters attention so he can come out and shoot as many as possible. Desperately I holler "Peeeeelleeeerrr" (my hunters name). The wolves stop briefly up go their tales and on they come 50 yards form the cabin but no sign of my hunter. So I hollar again, still he doesn't show and the wolves keep coming, I put my hood on and prepare to John Wayne as many wolves as I can with my 357 when finally the hunter appears. So I hollar " theres a pack of wolves above the cabin, rest on the Argo shed and Shooooottt!" This is all on video its amazing. At 50 yards the huge white wolf stands as I zoom in to capture the coolest wolf kill, after a pause nothing happens, it was a dry fire! he forgot to load a shell, boom goes the first shot, the grey one standing beside the white drops, then the barrage of shots starts, wolves are scattering every where not knowing which direction to run, they finally regroup above the cabin. Now this is the part I must apologize for, my hunter obviously choked BIGTIME. When all said and done, he shot 14 rounds, only one stinking kill, thats right ONLY ONE, I'm sorry folks , I wish I could say we stacked them up 20 feet high, but his extremely poor marksmanship cost us and only one of the overpopulated bast**** had to pay that night. Pretty amazing experience though and the video is amazing. I'll never forget watching the big white one crest over skyline heading right for me. Next to hunting down big rams, wolf shooting gets my blood pumping like no other.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:39 PM

According to my map I walked about 25 k of cutlines today in the north end of 504 scouting for elk and hunting ruffies.
Flushed 2 no shots, seen 2 goshawks, 1 owl, watched a bald eagle swoop ducks on a lake for 20 minutes till he was successful, found very little ungulate sign of any species but, Piles of wolf droppings and tracks on every trail and on the access road in.

Last edited by IR_mike; 10-07-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:37 PM

Default Possible World Record Wolf

Did anyone see the pictures in the back of the new Big Buck magazine(Fall edition 2009)? That is definitely the biggest wolf I have ever seen. It was shot somewhere around Glennevis I believe. They think it could possibly be the new world record holder.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:18 PM

Default 339 Wolves

Hunted 339 behind the Brazeau. Saw way more wolf tracks that elk or deer tracks.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:33 PM

pretty sure I saw one in 406 . Ran across the road in the twilight