Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-08-2010, 10:38 PM

Default Tips on fishing Spray Lake

Planning on taking my wife down to Spray to try our luck and see if we can catch our first lake trout, never fished the lake/fish before so I have no idea as where to start.

So any tips on bait, depth etc would be great!!!

Pm me if you'd rather keep things secret!!

Thanks,
mad
Old 12-08-2010, 11:33 PM

Read the regs. You have to be careful what you bring for bait. Minnows are NOT allowed. Smelts are.

I use smallish smelts or pieces of smelt with a glow colored jig head. Keep a tight line on the descent as sometimes the fish are suspended and will take it on the drop.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:02 AM

check out 5weights video entry, very informative and easy to understand, get the smelts at superstore, 5 million for 5 bucks, give er take lol, ps if/when you get a bite, make sure to go straight up with strike motion as you need to get slack out of lots of mono, maybe 100 feet, the strike distance might be from the hole up to head level ie 5 or 6 feet of solid straight striking to set hook well, whatever you do don't drop line an inch in effort to strike, that's when the fish feels it and lets go, my two cents, best to have a reel with instant full antireverse

Mike
Old 12-09-2010, 08:58 AM

I don't know about this time of year but when I have been there later in winter it has been an early bite first light sort of thing.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:15 AM

If you do a search on this forum you'll find hundreds of post about spray. What to use, where to go, depth, etc. In fact, I've posted exactly what you need to do many times.

Just limit your catch please.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
If you do a search on this forum you'll find hundreds of post about spray. What to use, where to go, depth, etc. In fact, I've posted exactly what you need to do many times.

Just limit your catch please.

Fish in 80 feet of water at 60 feet down. tip white jig with small smelt...don't use big smelt as most lakers are < 2 lbs.

Jig steady 4 or 5 times...rest 5 seconds repeat. Most bites I find are on the drop.