Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-07-2010, 09:16 PM

Default looking at getting into ice fishing

Hey everyone
Been on the hunting forums for quite sometime and every now and then look on the fishing forum. I fly fish a bit in the summer , but I am really interested at getting into some ice fishing now for the winter. I was wondering if ou guys would be able to give me some sort of checklist of equipment I may need for ice fishing. And with Christmas right around the corner I need to get my wishlist in ! I'm just starting off so better to keep things simple for now and work my way up. I would be looking at getting out onto Chain Lakes mostley I would imagine , but would also head out towards Kananaskis and Banff area and pretty much anywhere in south Alberta.

Thanks in advance everyone !
Old 12-07-2010, 09:27 PM

There is a thread or 2 on this same subject that will have lots of info and suggestions.
I personally think it is most important to be comfortable out in the cold. If you are out there freezing,the rest of your equipment won't matter much.

A good list of starters would be warm clothing:Good waterproof boots rated for -a lot,some good outer wear,good quality first layer stuff and some good gloves or mitts.
For fishing you will need a hand auger which you can get for about 50 or 60 bucks and an ice scoop for clearing slush from the hole. The line strength and bait/lures/hooks will depend on species targeted.

Good luck with getting started.If you need or want more info there is a wealth of info on this site.

NHO
Old 12-07-2010, 11:04 PM

Well I agree on the warm gear, number one really. And definitly don't skimp on boots. A hand auger is rather inexpensive as said above. I prefer the swede bore hand augers myself. Seem to cut the fastest with the least amount of effort. On thos two things you will most likley spend most of your money. Lures you'll most likley have a few from open water fishing, and as far as chain goes I think just the old hook and powerdough works well. So your actual tackle is inexpensive.
Rods are also cheap. You can have an ice fishing combo ( rod and reel) for 20 bucks. Might want to change out the line to something of a higher quality, and also specific to the species targeted.
All in all I'm sure you have a blast.
I think I'm heading to chain not the weekend but the following. If you wanna stop by for some fishing or just to see what it's all about your more than welcome. Pm me
Gary

ps: typed from a phone, so please forgive the spelling and punctuation. Damn fingers.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:54 PM

This is my 2nd year icefishing.
Last year had no shelter and was ready to never icefish again by the 3rd trip out. I HATE cold wind and don't like waiting for warm days to align with my days off.
This year I have access to a 3 person pop-up tent (more suited for 2 imo) and it has made the experience 110% better. Wouldn't think to hit the ice without it now. Takes icefishing to a whole new level. So if it's in Santa's budget, they run around 150 bones. Holes don't freeze up, way way warmer then standing outside (especially with lil heater), enables u to sightfish much better because of darkness, and takes less than a minute to setup.
The tent is definently not a neccesity but I reckon you'll have a much more pleasurable experience with one.

So hopefully you've been a good man this year Mr. deepfried, and Mr.Claus will be good to you!

Good luck, may the fish be with you