Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-09-2010, 08:03 AM

BTW: I've got a phrase to describe your little scenario: "Natural Selection."[/QUOTE]

BAHAHAHAHAHAHaHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH
Old 12-09-2010, 08:26 AM

So, at this point in the thread it seems like everyone is in agreement. Oversized holes should be marked when the people who cut them leave. Yes? Any who vote against?

I think it should also be mentioned that young children should be CLOSELY supervised, and not left to wander around.

Agreed?
Old 12-09-2010, 09:43 AM

What's the definition of oversize?
What's the definition of marking?
I've used a 10" for 20 years and don't consider it oversize.....some people might oh well that's their choice.
As far as marking goes well there is usually a nice pile of snow around my holes cause I shovel it nice and smooth around the hole......should be a good indication to people that there is something there.
Maybe some common sense and situational awareness would be in order when doing anything outdoorsy......to expect everything to be completely safe in anything you do is just asking for trouble.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
What's the definition of oversize?
My own definition would be something a 2 or 3 yr old could fall all the way in through. I don't think a 10" would qaulify, but that's just me.

Quote:
What's the definition of marking?
I think it can be anything that brings attention to someone scanning for dangers / hazards. A pile of snow is ideal, But again, that's just me.

Quote:
As far as marking goes well there is usually a nice pile of snow around my holes cause I shovel it nice and smooth around the hole......should be a good indication to people that there is something there.
Agreed.

Quote:
Maybe some common sense and situational awareness would be in order when doing anything outdoorsy......to expect everything to be completely safe in anything you do is just asking for trouble.
Also agreed.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:50 AM

Funny, I have kids, and I take them fishing, AND the FIRST thing I say to them is watch out for the ice, holes, thin, whatever, yes even the iceholes that are fishing.
That being said kids will be kids. Last year boy went into 2 holes. one was a 10"er he realized he had a brainfart moment. got wet, then stopped having fun. I dont think he will do that again. But being a kid I wont put it past him.
with THAT being said. if you have kids, pay attention to them!! they will actually have a better time if you do! if you drill big holes, maybe put a stick in it to mark it.
Either way it is both of our responsibility out there, if I lose a kid down your hole, I would put money on the fact you would not say to me I should have been watching my kid, I bet you feel like a bag of crap because you made such a big hole.

SO, Dont be an ICEHOLE and lets all work together! cover your hole and watch your kids.
lmao

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!