Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-07-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophouseman View Post
if you took your kids to the median on the qe2 would you expect everyone to drive 5mph.....................i'm just saying
Old 12-07-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophouseman View Post
if you took your kids to the median on the QE2 would you expect everyone to drive 5mph.....................I'm just saying
Old 12-07-2010, 09:18 PM

[QUOTE=latenite;757355]i wish i could catch a fish big enough the get stuck in a 8" hole!

or 6"
Old 12-07-2010, 09:34 PM

Smile

Im not sure why reminding people to flag and or mark big holes for everyones safety and enjoyment has turned into a "how to parent" thread.

Good reminder CeeZee!

Last edited by bigjeff; 12-07-2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-07-2010, 09:49 PM

Wow looks like some people are amazing parents on this board, when it comes to raising someone else's kids.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:57 PM

Only ice-fished a few times, but have always shoved a deadfall branch into the hole.

I just assumed this was standard hardwater etiquette, rather than something special that only a few (considerate) people did.

You learn something new every day.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:45 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Old 12-08-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoplex View Post
Only ice-fished a few times, but have always shoved a deadfall branch into the hole.

I just assumed this was standard hardwater etiquette, rather than something special that only a few (considerate) people did.

You learn something new every day.
Try finding deadfall branches along the west end of Crawling Valley. Did I mention that there is often in excess of 30 holes by the time we are done?

Back to the original point of the thread. I think if you are cutting anything bigger than a double hole it should be marked before you leave. Can you imagine driving off the ice after fishing an evening bite for walleye and driving into a 2 foot x 2 foot hole? Wowzers!
Old 12-08-2010, 01:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Have you ever caught a 25 pound pike and landed it thru an 8 inch hole? and how much damage did you do to the fish with your lip grabber and scraping it against the ice??? Just curious.
Yes l have , actually it weighed 28 lbs , slid up through the hole with ease , like l said they squeeze up like a sponge and you know how slippery they are .
The fish grabber if you havnt seen one is a dull nosed tool the grabs the pikes lower lip and dont penetrate the lip what so ever , and is the best way to lift a big pike out of a hole , much better than grabbing them with your hand behind the gills , now that DOES damage the fish.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:02 AM

I don't care if people cut big holes, but marking them afterward should be mandatory. It's just the logical thing to do.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:29 AM

Yeah most of us fish till dark or into dark except when you have little ones, a person has to leave early to have enuf time to read the AOF to find out how to put the kids to bed. Drving off the ice its tuff to see ALL the holes, and wammo that would be an eye opener for sure! Thats where you hope you have a JACK-ALL lol.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
Yes l have , actually it weighed 28 lbs , slid up through the hole with ease , like l said they squeeze up like a sponge and you know how slippery they are .
The fish grabber if you havnt seen one is a dull nosed tool the grabs the pikes lower lip and dont penetrate the lip what so ever , and is the best way to lift a big pike out of a hole , much better than grabbing them with your hand behind the gills , now that DOES damage the fish.
I wonder what happens to all of the internal organs as they get squished out of place?

What about all of the slime that is left on the ice? Its there for a reason. It is intended to stay on the fish and protect them from bacterias and such. Contrary to popular belief it doesn't form again in a few minutes.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
I wonder what happens to all of the internal organs as they get squished out of place?

What about all of the slime that is left on the ice? Its there for a reason. It is intended to stay on the fish and protect them from bacterias and such. Contrary to popular belief it doesn't form again in a few minutes.

Oh please. If you catch a fish that big, then you're going to be holding it [probably like Mr. Christy did with his arm] and taking pics. Where does the slime go then? You're very concerned about the well-being of these fish, so I suggest you not hurt them at all. Don't fish. When you put a big hook into it and haul it up, you're not TICKLING it!

It's not a big deal to mark an oversized hole. You're more concerned about the slime on the fish than a kid going under the ice. Give your head a shake.

Some people.

Quite a lot of jerks on here.

It's called 'having consideration for others' and it's not a difficult concept. Cut your big holes, Fine. But MARK THEM WHEN YOU'RE DONE! It's only gonna take you a couple seconds to pile some tall snow around it or put in a stick or something.

Get rid of the 'Don't tell me what to do" attitude. You'd think this was an American forum.

Last edited by weedcatcher; 12-08-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:40 AM

Default name calling....really?

I am not saying i am an uncaring, unsafe angler....all i am saying is in my opinion it is not up to me to make sure your kids dont run into my hole while your not looking. It doesnt make me an @$$hole because i don't want to babysit your kids for free. on this note please look up "Forum" in the dictionary. it will tell you that a forum is: Public area to openly discuss topics of interest
well a discussion is what we were having, i dont see that a forum is for judging people because they don't agree with you. just because i dont agree with you, doesn't mean i am an @$$hole....seems maybe a little ignorant.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:42 AM

Default p.s

"sounds like an american forum" ..............................wow.........again seems a little ignorant, but in the spirit of a "FORUM" i will say IMO
Old 12-08-2010, 11:09 AM

And I'm saying that if you leave an oversized hole, and don't mark it at all, then you ARE an unsafe and uncaring angler.

Whether there's kids there or not!

If you're still fishing the hole, or are fishing within a couple meters of it, and aren't done with yet, then, no you don't have make sure my kids don't fall in. But when you LEAVE, then yes, you have a responsibility to the people who will be passing by or fishing near there later on. That is called "having consideration for others".

And I'm not even talking about regular 8" holes. I'm just talking about the the double holes and especially something 24" by 24". I don't care if a boot gets wet or even lost. I do care about a little kid falling in, and so should you if you are, indeed, a safe and caring human, let alone angler.

Yes, you can express your opinions freely. From those opinions, and how you express them many people can gauge your attitude and behavior. If you go out of your way to present yourself [not just you, but anyone on any forum] as a jerk, or an @$$hole, then don't cry when you're called on it.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:23 PM

I dunno why ppl are so butt hurt over this. Even if the likelyhood is slim someone is gonna fall into an ice fishing hole it's still your duty to mark it for others, since you made the hole in the first place. Now there's 2 other threads on this board because people on here act like babies and have to bring up a stupid topic and act like children.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:30 PM

Hmm, touchy subject. I should just stay away from this one but nah, I love a good debate.

I'm newer to icefishing and this is my plan.
Single holes, even doubles connected together(6 or 8") I do not plan to mark as I agree with some posters, they freeze up very very fast and I simply don't see danger there.
Anything bigger than that I plan on marking. I could see a couple 10-12" connected holes taking a lil longer to freeze up. That's big enough for me to see potential danger there and it takes lil time to mark it with a big ol pile of snow or branches where available. Not gonna touch on the kiddie thing but I simply don't want anyone/anything hurting themself/itself over tripping in me holes. That's just me though
However, when I invest in an icesaw and drill 2 holes 6 feet apart and saw inbetween them so I have a nice big long hole I'm gonna mark em really good, just haven't decided what's the best way to do it. I only plan to cut these holes on ice where vehicles are not permitted as I could see that being a large hazard. Fortunately for me, most lakes I fish have ample trees and such around so marking them will be easy I reckon.
That's just my 2 sense. Be gentle on me
Cheers n GL all!
Old 12-08-2010, 03:42 PM

Single auger holes fine i guess. But double auger holes and bigger, it wouldnt hurt to mark them. Sure might if you dont though. Wonder what the legalities could/would be if you got someone hurt?
Old 12-08-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
Hmm, touchy subject. I should just stay away from this one but nah, I love a good debate.

Single holes, even doubles connected together(6 or 8") I do not plan to mark as I agree with some posters, they freeze up very very fast and I simply don't see danger there.
Wouldn't that depend on air temperature, and adjacent ice temperature? How do you know they'll freeze up very fast. Have you sat and timed it? Are you thinking a couple hours? 15 Minutes?

Okay, say you've fished until dusk, or a bit later. Now you're heading off the ice, and there's really not too many people around. In that situation, I'll agree with you. By morning, they'll be froze up.

Say you get to the ice first light. You cut a double 8" hole, but you head off the ice at mid-afternoon. You're at a popular lake like McGregor. In this case, I'd say it is irresponsible to leave the hole unmarked. As soon as you leave, then a family may unknowingly come into that region. Dad scouts around for any dangers, but doesn't see your double hole, because its not marked. 3 year old kid is wandering while Dad is fighting a big pike. OOPS. Kid falls all the way in, and his wet snow clothes prevent him from being able to free himself. Dead kid. If it was marked, then Dad would have seen it, and more actions could be taken to prevent the catastrophe. If it was just a single hole, then kid gets a wet boot and screams for a while. No biggie.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

Anything bigger than that I plan on marking. I could see a couple 10-12" connected holes taking a lil longer to freeze up. That's big enough for me to see potential danger there and it takes lil time to mark it with a big ol pile of snow or branches where available. Not gonna touch on the kiddie thing but I simply don't want anyone/anything hurting themself/itself over tripping in me holes. That's just me though
However, when I invest in an icesaw and drill 2 holes 6 feet apart and saw inbetween them so I have a nice big long hole I'm gonna mark em really good, just haven't decided what's the best way to do it. I only plan to cut these holes on ice where vehicles are not permitted as I could see that being a large hazard. Fortunately for me, most lakes I fish have ample trees and such around so marking them will be easy I reckon.
That's just my 2 sense. Be gentle on me
Cheers n GL all!

I'm thinking a cattle guard would work great. I have a 16 footer for sale.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-08-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I'm thinking a cattle guard would work great. I have a 16 footer for sale.
Bwahahaha! for sure lol
Bit much to lug out though harhar!
Old 12-08-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedcatcher View Post
As soon as you leave, then a family may unknowingly come into that region. Dad scouts around for any dangers, but doesn't see your double hole, because its not marked. 3 year old kid is wandering while Dad is fighting a big pike. OOPS. Kid falls all the way in, and his wet snow clothes prevent him from being able to free himself. Dead kid. If it was marked, then Dad would have seen it, and more actions could be taken to prevent the catastrophe. If it was just a single hole, then kid gets a wet boot and screams for a while. No biggie.
Please . . . that dad is too busy with the freakin' fish to notice anything. Who would bring his/her three-year-old out on the ice without a dedicated supervisor? Are people really that stupid? Do you even have kids, or are you just making up crap to prove your point?

And yes, I have kids (two and seventeen). Yes, I'd drill a big double hole. Would I mark it? Depends on whether or not something is laying around that would allow me to.

BTW: I've got a phrase to describe your little scenario: "Natural Selection."

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.

Last edited by DarkAisling; 12-08-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:54 PM

I just thought of how I'm gonna mark my icesaw holes.

If u see a snowman with long twigs as arms, a bobber as it's nose, and a bunch of pebbles across it's belly reading "CAUTION" that will be my marking Be careful!
If the snow aint sticky enough for that then I'm gonna build a teepee with branches over my hole and when I return to my hole, I'll have readily available firewood.
That won't be till next year though, ice saw aint in the budget right now.
Still may build some snowmen though this year jus for giggles
Old 12-08-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I just thought of how I'm gonna mark my icesaw holes.

If u see a snowman with long twigs as arms, a bobber as it's nose, and a bunch of pebbles across it's belly reading "CAUTION" that will be my marking Be careful!
If the snow aint sticky enough for that then I'm gonna build a teepee with branches over my hole and when I return to my hole, I'll have readily available firewood.
That won't be till next year though, ice saw aint in the budget right now.
Still may build some snowmen though this year jus for giggles

Just remember that whatever you use will wind up in the lake when the ice thaws. Also, gravel could wreck an auger blade real quick if it wound up hidden in the snow and ice.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post

Just remember that whatever you use will wind up in the lake when the ice thaws. Also, gravel could wreck an auger blade real quick if it wound up hidden in the snow and ice.
Yeah, I would only use lake friendly things, ie) fallen branches, leaves n such. Good call on the rocks though hurting an auger, never thought of that.
Cheers DA
This may have been discussed somewhere before but anyone know of any "nature friendly" spraypaint that would be harmless? I could eliminate the pebbles and use that instead.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:21 PM

"Please . . . that dad is too busy with the freakin' fish to notice anything. Who would bring his/her three-year-old out on the ice without a dedicated supervisor? Are people really that stupid? Do you even have kids, or are you just making up crap to prove your point?

And yes, I have kids (two and seventeen). Yes, I'd drill a big double hole. Would I mark it? Depends on whether or not something is laying around that would allow me to.

BTW: I've got a phrase to describe your little scenario: "Natural Selection.""

Every year there are kids with parents like this(perfect) that have accidents. They are the same ones that claim they only took their eyes off them for a second.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Please . . . that dad is too busy with the freakin' fish to notice anything. Who would bring his/her three-year-old out on the ice without a dedicated supervisor? Are people really that stupid? Do you even have kids, or are you just making up crap to prove your point?

BTW: I've got a phrase to describe your little scenario: "Natural Selection."
Yes, the little kid who may one day fall into an oversized and unmarked hole DOES DESERVE TO DIE. Your sentiment has been well proven, and I defer to your superior argument. Well said!
Old 12-08-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedcatcher View Post

Oh please. If you catch a fish that big, then you're going to be holding it [probably like Mr. Christy did with his arm] and taking pics. Where does the slime go then? You're very concerned about the well-being of these fish, so I suggest you not hurt them at all. Don't fish. When you put a big hook into it and haul it up, you're not TICKLING it!

It's not a big deal to mark an oversized hole. You're more concerned about the slime on the fish than a kid going under the ice. Give your head a shake.

Some people.

Quite a lot of jerks on here.

It's called 'having consideration for others' and it's not a difficult concept. Cut your big holes, Fine. But MARK THEM WHEN YOU'RE DONE! It's only gonna take you a couple seconds to pile some tall snow around it or put in a stick or something.

Get rid of the 'Don't tell me what to do" attitude. You'd think this was an American forum.
Shake your own head or learn how to read. Don't go all high and mighty on me unless you know what you are talking about. Read my post and tell me where I was advocating the use of large troughs or not filling these types of holes in.

That's right, it isn't there. I never said I wasn't concerned about oversized holes. I was talking about using a proper sized hole to not do unnecessary harm to the fish. I don't think a double hole is a big deal but a 24" square is a different story.

For the record I wet my hands and support the fish under the belly with a wet hand to minimize the slime removal and lend support to the internal organs. I also use a 10" hole when Pike fishing which was what my post was about. This way they don't bugger up the inards as they are squeezing out of the hole.

Some people.

Quite a lot of jerks on here. (see how easy that fits into this post too)
Old 12-09-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:

Call me stupid i guess