Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-02-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM Precision View Post
Fair enough. We dont believe that this is an ongoing issue but rather a one off. Mike and Karl at KS have taken this very seriously and have looked at the design. The handles are extremely solid and durable. Again, im not totally sure how this actually happened, but it most definitely did not happen soley from a light closing of the bolt.
Material flaws happen. Would have to be pretty hard material to break before it bent. I would have a hard time believeing this would be a common issue even if a guy hit it with a hammer. Even a grade 5 bolt will bend a pile before it breaks. I'd like to do a build on one of these actions. Really to bad that the bolt release is underneath the stock line, that's probably the only negative I see with it.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 12-02-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. We dont believe that this is an ongoing issue but rather a one off. Mike and Karl at KS have taken this very seriously and have looked at the design. The handles are extremely solid and durable. Again, im not totally sure how this actually happened, but it most definitely did not happen soley from a light closing of the bolt.
This hapen while meassuring headspace and sitting depth. i closed the bolt like i normally and naturally would with all of other my rifles. Its not like i went to town with it with a hammer or anything as its clear from the pictures. it was a clean crack/ grainy break. Two material engineers opinions suggested possible metal hardening issues....which made me wonder about the rest of the bolt handle and thats why ideally i would have liked if the entire bolt handle was replaced. But given that that wasnt the case on the flip side of the coin the turn around time was excellent. This is my favourite rifle so far and and my mostvaccurate. Needles to say i baby this thing....but **** happens and this might just be an isolated incident as this is the first action (of this model) that they built. Had i had a more possitive experience with this one particular component i would have gone with another one of those actions as that was the original plan as im all for supporting the local economy.

Last edited by SendIt; 12-02-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:18 PM

Default KS Arms

Do they make the actions for extreme outer limits MOA rifles? They sure look similar.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:07 PM

This action interests me greatly as I'm thinking it would be ideal to build an "all alberta talent" sourced rifle for my next project.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 12-03-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy View Post
Do they make the actions for extreme outer limits MOA rifles? They sure look similar.
Pretty sure there is no connection....to the best of my knowledge they are "in house" design. Believe for the model being used by some F Class shooters, there was input from guys active in competition that was incorporated into the design.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 12-03-2016 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SendIt View Post
This hapen while meassuring headspace and sitting depth. i closed the bolt like i normally and naturally would with all of other my rifles. Its not like i went to town with it with a hammer or anything as its clear from the pictures. it was a clean crack/ grainy break. Two material engineers opinions suggested possible metal hardening issues....which made me wonder about the rest of the bolt handle and thats why ideally i would have liked if the entire bolt handle was replaced. But given that that wasnt the case on the flip side of the coin the turn around time was excellent. This is my favourite rifle so far and and my mostvaccurate. Needles to say i baby this thing....but **** happens and this might just be an isolated incident as this is the first action (of this model) that they built. Had i had a more possitive experience with this one particular component i would have gone with another one of those actions as that was the original plan as im all for supporting the local economy.
Interesting. You seem to have had a "one off" event where an item failed and the problem was immediately corrected. You receive exemplary service beyond what the other manufacturers could provide yet bash them on the internet. If I was the owner, I would not welcome your business. Did the engineers you consulted look at the break under a microscope and review the mill certs? Probably not.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:02 PM

Old 12-06-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
This action interests me greatly as I'm thinking it would be ideal to build an "all alberta talent" sourced rifle for my next project.
We build lots of All Canadian rifles and have focused on using as much Canadian product as possible. Thats why we have been so excited working with KS Arms.

Shoot me a message. We would love to put a build together for you. We are using KS actions, Jury barrels, Trigger Tech triggers. We are and MDT dealer and a Cadex dealer. We can also supply Wildcat Custom stocks and we have our own brand of muzzle brake manufactured right out of Wizard Lake by Bluechip Precision. GO CANADIAN OR GO HOME!!!
Old 12-06-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Interesting. You seem to have had a "one off" event where an item failed and the problem was immediately corrected. You receive exemplary service beyond what the other manufacturers could provide yet bash them on the internet. If I was the owner, I would not welcome your business. Did the engineers you consulted look at the break under a microscope and review the mill certs? Probably not.
That is sort of my thoughts on the whole situation. Granted, a one piece bolt on a Stiller or Defiance may not have broken, but the 6mths and $100 or so in shipping and brokerage to get another replacement bolt or parts to service it would have been a real pain in the ass. The last Defiance we brought in showed up with the wrong specs from what was ordered and we got told, "does it function?" Guess thats what happens when you have a 6-10mth waiting list. I would rather deal with a company that I can walk into the shop and talk to the guys building the actions. When there is an issue they handle it personally and turn it around immediately.

Plus that was the very first production run of that model. Maybe it was a bad part. We havent seen any other issues from the KS actions. Mike and Karl are amazing to deal with. We will continue to use and support them.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
We build lots of All Canadian rifles and have focused on using as much Canadian product as possible. Thats why we have been so excited working with KS Arms.

Shoot me a message. We would love to put a build together for you. We are using KS actions, Jury barrels, Trigger Tech triggers. We are and MDT dealer and a Cadex dealer. We can also supply Wildcat Custom stocks and we have our own brand of muzzle brake manufactured right out of Wizard Lake by Bluechip Precision. GO CANADIAN OR GO HOME!!!
Whose bottom metals/mags?
Old 12-06-2016, 10:07 AM

I have no affiliation (financially or otherwise)to any actions manufacturer in anyway shape or form so i dont have a reason to defend or"bash" anybody. I am simply a customer giving feedback on personal experience with this single particular product to the OP as per post request. The customer service experience is one thing and it was great.I said it before and i will say it again ..i ideally i would have wanted the whole bolt handle replaced...not just the quick tap drill rethread solution.product quality is a whole different thing and they are mutually exclusive for non serviceable products...unfortunatelly i ended up with the "one off" which by the way THATS NOT THE ONLY ISSUE WITH IT...but im not going to elaborate on that. Ultimatly every one is entitled to their own opinions and more importanlty their own choices....and this time around i chose to "go home" with something different. I should also mention that the customer service on EMP part has always been great and that Their worksmanship is outstanding as my rifle is proof of that.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:38 PM

Do you guys have any pics of ks actions inleted into standard style hunting/target stocks. Curious as to how much meat has to be removed for the bolt release. Couldn't see it being much of an issue on a chassis.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 12-07-2016, 10:01 AM

Do they come in left hand?
Old 12-07-2016, 12:11 PM

If I had that issue with a bolt and that was the remedy I got I would be choked. IMO that is completely unacceptable.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-07-2016, 12:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SendIt View Post
unfortunatelly i ended up with the "one off" which by the way THATS NOT THE ONLY ISSUE WITH IT...but im not going to elaborate on that. Ultimatly every one is entitled to their own opinions and more importanlty their own choices....and this time around i chose to "go home" with something different.
i'm currently looking to purchase another action you should tell us the other issues so i can make an informed decision.

i've never seen one of these actions in person.