Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-03-2016, 07:50 AM

Default Andros Fly Fishing

Has anyone fly fished in Andros, Bahamas and in particular near Mangrove Caye? If you have been there, do you have advice for rod weight, specific lines that you liked/didn't like, tippets/leaders and specific fly patterns that worked better than others. I am particularly interested in information for bonefish, but am also interested in information about permit, tarpon and bluewater fishing with a fly. It appears that there isn't much for permit or tarpon during the end of December/beginning of January. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:14 AM

Have not done Andros but I have done Exuma before for bonefish.
Bonefish:
8/9 weight with 150-200 yds of backing
10 or 12 pound leader
Bahama mamma, Rubberleg Gotchas, Peterson Spawning Shrimp, Shea’s Bonefish Buttah, bonefish charlies (crazy charlies), clousers, bonefish crushers
Bring a couple of different sizes anywhere from 2-8 and you want them to able to sink fairly quick as you want to make your cast have the fly drop down to the bottom ahead of the school. Bring natural colors and some wild colors too.
Get yourself a good tropical line (floating), biggest mistake was going down there with a regular fly line and it got really limp on me. Airflo tropical punch or tropical bonefish are good choices.

Have your polarized glasses..this is the most important item.

Havent done tarpon or bigger species done there but i would assume:
Cuda-Permit/Tarpon..ect:
10/12 Weight with at least a 20 pound leader with a heavy shock on it and wire for cuda.
Needlefish patterns, large baitfish patterns, and crab/shrimp patterns for permit.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:26 AM

At that time of year expect wind,,, lots of it,, with cloudy periods which will pretty much exclude the ability to access any bluewater,,, or the west side where there may be a few tarpon and permit.

No problem, mon,,, Andros is one of the premier bone fisheries in the world which in itself is well worth the effort. Most anglers go there for the bonefish, and your guide will likely be reluctant to chase anything else anyways.

Dshot's list of flies is a good one that will catch bones most everywhere. I will add the coco loco is a good pattern,,, and even the old fashioned Chico Fernandez bonefish special (unweighted) for real skinny water bones. Have a variety of weighted flies, some with lead eyes, some with bead chain (med and small bead chain) and some unweighted.

Becuz of all the light colored bottom, tan tends to be the most common color you will use. A hint of orange or shrimp pink is often incorporated on popular bonefish patterns.

SA or Rio bonefish tapers can be added to the list of flylines that will work down there.

If you must make a choice between 8 or 9 weight, go with the 9 as it will likely handle the wind better. Even putting a 9 weight line on 8 wt rod will help with the wind and load the rod better at shorter distance. In the wind you are typically not making the 60 foot plus casts.

Good luck and enjoy a Kalik or two with some cracked conch while down there!!!

Last edited by Pikebreath; 11-03-2016 at 11:44 AM.

Tags
andros, bahamas, bonefish, permit, tarpon