Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-20-2016, 05:30 PM

Default Effects- high beef prices/hunting/poaching

With the high prices of all types of meat in the stores now a days does that put more pressure on our wild game .. Will it bring out more legal hunters ? Increase the poaching crowd ?
Old 02-20-2016, 05:37 PM
Banned

I have called in 4 deer and one cow elk being shot and left this year legs were cut off the cow elk. In 14 years I haven't had to call this much
Old 02-20-2016, 05:42 PM

probably not going to make people want to get into hunting looking for cheap meat. by the time you have everything you need like a gun/ licenses / gas/ time/ learning curve, its way cheaper to buy meat at the store. i can see it might make slightly less honest people be less honest then they have been and bending the rules. hard to tell though.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:47 PM

hope you right Tyler ...next time in Cabelas , wholesale or bass have a look at the gun counter customers ...
Old 02-20-2016, 05:49 PM

What is happening is meat is being stolen from the grocery store. At one Walmart the other day I saw the managers stop a guy with over $500 in meat and seafood that didn't pay for in his cart. Said he was waiting for his wife to come in and pay. I wouldn't expect us to see more hunting, maybe some more poaching, but not a lot.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
hope you right Tyler ...next time in Cabelas , wholesale or bass have a look at the gun counter customers ...
what would we be looking for?
Old 02-20-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldenhwk View Post
What is happening is meat is being stolen from the grocery store. At one Walmart the other day I saw the managers stop a guy with over $500 in meat and seafood that didn't pay for in his cart. Said he was waiting for his wife to come in and pay. I wouldn't expect us to see more hunting, maybe some more poaching, but not a lot.
And the stores with $25.00 steaks and $80.00 roasts that are due for expiry ...hmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 02-20-2016, 06:01 PM

pointless thread
Old 02-20-2016, 06:32 PM

does it concern anyone if poaching increases and stores change expiry dates because of cost ..so back to ...high prices of beef ...
Old 02-20-2016, 06:37 PM

Well, the producers are not getting fat off the prices, but we are finally making 7.5/hr which is nice for a change...
Old 02-20-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Juice? View Post
Well, the producers are not getting fat off the prices, but we are finally making 7.5/hr which is nice for a change...
I know, them poor farmers.... They gotta buy a new king ranch diesel and new tractor every few years so they dont gotta pay no taxes. It can be rough.....

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 02-20-2016, 06:59 PM

Lots of free meat south of GP, someone dumped a bunch of ferral horses and they are really increasing in number. Probably taste a bit like elk. No closed season no bag limit.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:14 PM

Just got home from Burtonsville Island Natural Area, doing a little rabbit hunting with my boy. Found a Cow Moose Kill truck tracks right to it, estimate about a week old. Reported what I found to R.A.P.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
I know, them poor farmers.... They gotta buy a new king ranch diesel and new tractor every few years so they dont gotta pay no taxes. It can be rough.....
I encourage you to try your hand at it then... sounds easy

Then again, my last new vehicle was in 2006.

BTW, farmers drive trucks because we USE them to haul feed, animals etc.

But if you want to use your prius, go for it.

Tractors do require replacing as well... they work for a living.

Not pay taxes? What DREAM WORLD do you live in?
Old 02-20-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Juice? View Post
I encourage you to try your hand at it then... sounds easy

Then again, my last new vehicle was in 2006.

BTW, farmers drive trucks because we USE them to haul feed, animals etc.

But if you want to use your prius, go for it.

Tractors do require replacing as well... they work for a living.

Not pay taxes? What DREAM WORLD do you live in?
Haha got Juice, all in good fun, got lots of farmers in the family and for many years so was my family. They all complain, some of them are loaded though..... Peace and love. Lol

Old 02-20-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOff View Post
Just got home from Burtonsville Island Natural Area, doing a little rabbit hunting with my boy. Found a Cow Moose Kill truck tracks right to it, estimate about a week old. Reported what I found to R.A.P.
Is it a no hunting area or something?
Old 02-20-2016, 08:11 PM

They can't be that hungry or in need, they haven't been poaching any feral horses.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Haha got Juice, all in good fun, got lots of farmers in the family and for many years so was my family. They all complain, some of them are loaded though..... Peace and love. Lol
I wish there was a happy medium.

The last 3 years have been better than I can remember.... then again in 2001-2007 we were starving.... 20K in fuel on the Visa Card, and wondering if we should pay the power bill or eat 1 meal a day for 2 weeks.

I'd be content with 5 bucks an hour and my fuel paid for.

When times are tough, I don't feel too bad, but it rips my hear out when I see people sell off their herd because they can't afford to raise food for others.

And then there is the Gov't grant welfare farmer.... but that is a topic for another day.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:44 PM

Last year i found 2 deers only antlers cut off i was tracking that deers in summer and it was 8 and 10points BIG ONES...Than i found a doe and cow moose in november killed with rifle in edmonton bow zone...Doe was missing 2 back legs and moose too only 2 back legs missing.And i also found poached moose near Rocky mountain house in December mostly everything was taken.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:03 PM
Banned

Default If only

Quote:
We supported ranchers with more and cheaper land leases.
I blame the hippies for not supporting the cow poke welfare state.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAlbertan View Post
We supported ranchers with more and cheaper land leases.
I blame the hippies for not supporting the cow poke welfare state.
We bought and paid for our land by working other jobs while ranching. no handouts here
Old 02-20-2016, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Is it a no hunting area or something?
No, hunting is allowed. Season ended Nov 30. From the remains left and fresh blood on the snow, I'd say animal was dressed out a week ago.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:58 PM

Got juice, I have no idea on your particular situation as in if you bought land and are trying to make a go of farming and ranching. Pretty tough to do in this day and age.
If your working out to keep everything afloat then best quit bitching about it cause your income tax return more than makes up for it.
I called my own uncle out on his whining and crying about how hard it is on the farm. Can't make a living, no more room in the bins so have to add new ones every year, **** I can't seed 3 quarter sections in one day so need to buy a newer bigger seeder. Maybe 160 feet this year. Oh but **** my 400 hp tractor can't pull that so better head to John Deere and buy the new 525 hp.
And **** my pick up truck just turned over 100,000 km better head to the dealer and trade her in on a new one. I don't want it running rough while sitting outside idling outside the Albert and Walters while I drink a coffee and bitch about diesel fuel prices.
Tired of hearing the crying. If it's so damn rough on the farm might be best to just quit.
Keep it together. Rob
Old 02-21-2016, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOff View Post
No, hunting is allowed. Season ended Nov 30. From the remains left and fresh blood on the snow, I'd say animal was dressed out a week ago.
Is the season over for substinance hunters as well? (Just another possibility ), good job on reporting it though, hopefully they can figure it out.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katts69 View Post
Got juice, I have no idea on your particular situation as in if you bought land and are trying to make a go of farming and ranching. Pretty tough to do in this day and age.
If your working out to keep everything afloat then best quit bitching about it cause your income tax return more than makes up for it.
I called my own uncle out on his whining and crying about how hard it is on the farm. Can't make a living, no more room in the bins so have to add new ones every year, **** I can't seed 3 quarter sections in one day so need to buy a newer bigger seeder. Maybe 160 feet this year. Oh but **** my 400 hp tractor can't pull that so better head to John Deere and buy the new 525 hp.
And **** my pick up truck just turned over 100,000 km better head to the dealer and trade her in on a new one. I don't want it running rough while sitting outside idling outside the Albert and Walters while I drink a coffee and bitch about diesel fuel prices.
Tired of hearing the crying. If it's so damn rough on the farm might be best to just quit.
Keep it together. Rob
You're a special kind of stupid arent ya??

As to the OP, I have noticed more weekend warriors along the range roads in SE Alberta than ever before. Trucks and vans loaded with guys and gear. I can bet they arent all ready with their tags!
Old 02-21-2016, 07:43 AM

Default poachers of all kinds!

Ranching friends are noting high hunter counts, and an increase in poachers.
Guys that openly trespass, shooting from vehicles, and those that shoot animals and return at night to collect them from areas that are heavily posted. At least they are not waisting the animals, as they do take the whole thing.
On another note, the higher beef pricing has caused an alarming increase in rustling! Small groups of 8 to 20 that they thought other family members had pushed to other areas of graze are just GONE!
There have been reports from around the Oyen area of cattle found butchered on the lease. Prime cuts and offals removed, with the balance left to waste. Not just one or two, but now reports in excess of twenty animals over the last year.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:50 AM

I think it may increase the persistence of hunters that are already set up, I know it has for several people I know. As for increasing the poaching, I can't see that being the case. It seems to me that most poachers leave the meat in the woods. So if they are not even keeping the meat I guess they're not shooting the critters to replace their beef consumption.
I think that the increase in road hunters and weekend warriors is probably due more to areas of the economy being slow than to a certain item in the grocery store having a high price tag on it.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:04 AM
Banned

All this is gonna do for me is make me check my fences and gates and add extra security so others do not hunt on my land or come near my cattle.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katts69 View Post
Keep it together. Rob
Wow, your a special kind of *******!!!! I have said that for years, all the family farms should quit, then you will know what high food prices are.
I am ashamed I live near the same town as you, by the way your uncle should have clocked that spoiled ass attitude right out of you!!!
Old 02-21-2016, 08:44 AM

Well I don't know about more hunters and poachers. Hunting costs money and I would think poaching probably costs as much. By the time I take time off work it would of been cheaper to go to Safeway to get meat. At least you're guaranteed that you'll have a steak.

For the guys that think farming is the way to freedom 55. Haha that's hilarious. Last I heard a guy needs a minimum 400 head to make a leaving on the farm. My thoughts are farming is like having a gambling problem because thats all it is is a gamble.