Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-19-2016, 08:54 PM

Default Creston area waterfowl

Anyone familiar with the area? My mom just moved down there, and all I hear is geese all day while I'm there.

Anyone know if there is any DU land nearby? I'm seeing a large conservation zone that looks like it has a delayed opening, but other than that I'm not finding a lot of information on the area.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:21 PM

Default Creston

https://www.crestonwildlife.ca/permits

I believe DU took over management of the lands lots of waterfowl but it can get a bit crowded at times.

The apples are the best

Grant
Old 02-20-2016, 07:38 AM

The Creston Valley Wildlife Management Area(CVWMA) allows hunting for waterfowl starting in October. You need to purchase a special permit ($10) and that allows you to access CVWMA land open to hunting for one year. Access is foot, bicycle, or boat(across the Kootenay River) only. The waterfowl season runs through until Dec 23, I believe. Some good sized marshes in there across the channel by Duck Lake(also part of the CVWMA) Six Mile Slough and Leach Lake, check out google Maps for an overview.
I've lived in the valley for 9 years now(originally from AB) and love being here. Lots of great areas to explore.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:58 AM

Default creston valley water fowl

season opens Oct 1, best to have a canoe or row boat for access, Blacktail Ridge guest house in Wynndel is hunter friendly if your in need of a place to stay.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:40 AM

How about the farm lands around the lake?
Are the farmers open to Goose hunters?
Or are there too many guys wanting to field hunt and only those with connections get the access?

Or do most guys just hunt the water?

I imagine there would be some great water shoots for divers on the Big lake as well ?

Supposed to be huge numbers of specks migrating through......
Old 02-20-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekeland View Post
How about the farm lands around the lake?
Are the farmers open to Goose hunters?
Or are there too many guys wanting to field hunt and only those with connections get the access?

Or do most guys just hunt the water?

I imagine there would be some great water shoots for divers on the Big lake as well ?

Supposed to be huge numbers of specks migrating through......
There is farmland stretching from Duck Lake to the border, whether or not you would get permission I don't know. I've never asked around in that area. As far as the number of waterfowlers in the area it doesn't seem to be very popular anymore, at one time according to older residents duck and geese hunters used to arrive in droves. Now you hear a lot of shooting on the American side of the marshes but not so much north of the border. Sure there are a few that go out but it is definitely not overcrowded.
What I have done a few times in the past is just walk along the dikes and channels attempting to get a few for the pot. Jump shooting the ponds and smaller channels was fun but without a dog I found it next to impossible to find the downed birds once they fell into the long grass. When they hit the water it was fine because I always had my kayak or old hunting canoe nearby but if they hit the 3-4' high grass they would just disappear so I pretty much gave up on hunting waterfowl. I'd spend an hour or more looking and rarely find the bird even when they hit the grass only a few feet away from me.
The permits for the CVWMA can be purchased from Wyndel store and cost $10 for just hunting or 15 combined with a fishing permit for the area. Some good bass fishing in Duck Lake.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:09 PM

The creston valley is a beautiful place, but honestly the best water fowling is on the prairies. The skys are black with fowl and the fields are full. Up north its totally underutilized.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 02-21-2016, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRED View Post
There is farmland stretching from Duck Lake to the border, whether or not you would get permission I don't know. I've never asked around in that area. As far as the number of waterfowlers in the area it doesn't seem to be very popular anymore, at one time according to older residents duck and geese hunters used to arrive in droves. Now you hear a lot of shooting on the American side of the marshes but not so much north of the border. Sure there are a few that go out but it is definitely not overcrowded.
What I have done a few times in the past is just walk along the dikes and channels attempting to get a few for the pot. Jump shooting the ponds and smaller channels was fun but without a dog I found it next to impossible to find the downed birds once they fell into the long grass. When they hit the water it was fine because I always had my kayak or old hunting canoe nearby but if they hit the 3-4' high grass they would just disappear so I pretty much gave up on hunting waterfowl. I'd spend an hour or more looking and rarely find the bird even when they hit the grass only a few feet away from me.
The permits for the CVWMA can be purchased from Wyndel store and cost $10 for just hunting or 15 combined with a fishing permit for the area. Some good bass fishing in Duck Lake.

We talked to a couple owners already - and they have been coming back with the same things - they don't allow outsiders to shoot on their land, because people have burnt them and disrespected their property... apparently a lot of poaching happens in the fields near the boarder.

Lukily, I might have an amazing access to a nice marshy area. Was watching a pair of geese that appeared to be fixing up a nesting site there last weekend!