Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-18-2016, 01:09 PM

Default Answers........ (a work in progress)

I enjoy writing, some stories are from life, some are from my dreams, some are for children and some are just because........

I don't always share what I write but once in awhile I get a hankering for some feedback.....I usually write exactly how words come to me, I tweek the grammar and such later so please be gentle

This a work in progress...(no grammar police) lol lol

"My Answers"

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Alison. I am married to my husband, Peter for 30 years and we have raised 3 outstanding beautiful children (Azshia, Breanne, and Braydon). Our family loves the outdoors and we have been lucky enough to have given our children a wonderful life of growing up with the wilderness. It’s in their bones.

I am an educated woman, I was a licensed preschool teacher for many years but unfortunately became ill and had to leave the work force. I became disabled by my illness. Now I can hear you asking, what has this got to do with hunting and fishing? And I will tell you.

I am Canadian, born and raised. I am also a proud B.C. Resident hunter. I am an avid Fish and Wild Life Conservationist. I buy my fishing license every March to begin a new year and I buy my LEH cards (Limited Entry cards – in hopes of winning the draw for that special animal to hunt) and new season hunting license. I purchase all required tags for both fishing and hunting. I follow all guidelines and regulations that are written every New Year in the B.C. fishing and hunting Synopses.

Being a hunter, I am often questioned by other groups of people. The majority of these groups are very acceptable of my choice to hunt and fish for sustainability and are willing to listen and be open minded, I am also respectful and mindful to their choices as well. The group of people I usually run into who are so completely out in left field and refuse to listen to any explanation or actually read proven scientific fact in regards to hunting and fishing or sustainable living, we call the “Antis”. Anti-hunters have such a one sided closed mind to what, we as hunters do for wildlife conservation, in their minds we are murderers of animals.

One day I was sitting in the airport waiting for my son to arrive on home visit from Alberta, where he played hockey and as I waited I was reading the newest edition of BC Outdoors Magazine. A group of people sat in close proximity to me. I heard them begin to whisper. I heard one say, “She is a disgusting murderer.” I looked around to see who they may have been talking about, when I suddenly realized she meant me. I closed my magazine and I walked over to the seat next to the “girl” and asked her if we could talk about why I hunt and see if she still felt I was a murderer afterwards. The entire group was quite interested in what I had to say. I first asked if any of them had children. A few did. I thought to myself, perfect. I started my story.

“I began hunting to save our daughter’s life. As a mother, we do everything and anything we can to make sure our children are always safe, always healthy and extremely loved unconditionally. While my husband was away for the weekend and I was home alone with 3 young children, our daughter, Breanne (age 4) started coughing. I gave her some cough medicine but she started wheezing and then choking for air. I called 911 and the operator said that an ambulance would be dispatched but could not reach us for 20-30 minutes and I should get her in the car and to the hospital myself. In mother instinct survival mode, I grabbed her, called sister in law to come watch the other 2 and I was gone. I drove like a mad woman, and reached the emergency room in 7 minutes where the Triage team called our daughter as a code blue (not breathing).Nothing is worse than holding your child’s lifeless body in your arms. They took my unconscious little girl from me for what seemed like hours and when I finally got to see her she was hooked up to machines helping her breathe.

She had an acute anaphylactic asthma attack brought on by an allergy. We had no idea what the allergy was. But after running a full scale of tests, they discovered she had an allergy to a protein used in feed given to farm animals. When she ate store bought meats, she would have this allergic reaction if the animals were fed this protein in their feed before butchering.

So I decided to join my husband and become a hunter. It is the most organic meat you can get, you know what it has been fed, you know who has been in contact with it, who has processed it, and you know how it was killed. I hunt for sustainability and to keep my family healthy.”

I finished my story to the group and I showed them a picture of my daughter. I asked them, if they still considered me a murderer. They said no, some even said they look at hunting differently because I opened their eyes to a different approach. Some still didn’t like hunting and I said that is okay, there are parts of hunting I don’t like too but you just have to have an open mind and not always follow those who do not know the real facts. I wished I could have talked to them more about hunting regulations and how as hunters we are also the largest group to raise fund for conservation. But the plane arrived and it was time to go. At least I was able to change a few anti-hunting minds in a short moment.

On another point that I am often faced with, if you recall a couple paragraphs before, I mentioned I became disabled. My disability is what is considered “invisible disability” therefore if people can’t see it, it just isn’t real but so so so wrong. My disability is Fibromyalgia. I won’t go into the long medical description of it, but it is quite painful and hard for people to understand unless you live with it. I have been “considered disabled” since 2006. But I have just recently applied for my disable hunting permit in the past couple years because there is no cure for Fibromyalgia and it gradually gets worse over time. Even though I was considered disabled, I kept doing as much as I could as able bodied as I could until I could no longer.

With having Fibromyalgia my strength and balance have slowly disappeared over the years. My husband has been my hunting partner and has been my rock to get me thru each season. The last couple years have been the very worst. I can no longer hike so road hunting has become my choice of hunting. If we use the quad, I have to be strapped on it, meaning if it rolls, he can jump off and I go with the quad. It is even a better ordeal if we happen to see game to shoot at. He has to get me unstrapped and off the quad, load my rifle and I have to get comfortable and shoot…. Oh wait, where’d the dang critter go. Gone. Back onto the quad we go. And that’s how we hunt. Hence why having a disabled permit is very helpful if you can receive approval for one.

Okay enough being disabled for now, but we will eventually come back to it and you will hopefully understand the preface to being a disabled hunter.

This season became the very first season I was going to go bow hunting. I was so excited. I was telling everyone about it. Now bow hunters are a very elite group of hunters, or they think they are (some prejudice there) I think they are just a group of hunters who hunt a different way than a rifle hunter.

I happened to be talking to a fellow bow hunter. He asked me what kind of bow I shoot. I sort of hesitated because I had a feeling where this conversation was going to head. I said I shoot an Excalibur Vixen ll crossbow. He said to me, oh that’s not a bow and people shouldn’t be allowed to use them in bow season. BC is the only province in Canada that allows crossbows during bow season. It shouldn’t.

I was looking at him with doe in the headlight eyes and mouth dropped open. Are you for real? I said do you have a moment to discuss this further and I said because if what I have to say doesn’t give you something to think about and your opinion is still the same, I will not go on my bow hunt with my crossbow.

We found a bench and sat down. I said to him my story. I used to belong to the Traditional Bow hunters of British Columbia (TBBC) with my family. There I learned to shoot my mom’s traditional bow. I really enjoyed that bow. Our kids did the bow shoots with my husband. I said, you see the past years have been difficult for me as my body has been losing its strength but I still keep myself going each day to do the things I enjoy. Hunting is one of them, it is something I share with my husband and our oldest daughter. After losing strength, I could no longer pull my traditional bow nor could I handle a compound bow so we had to go to a cross bow. My husband bought it for me as a gift. I was so excited. He fully loaded it with all the accessories I would need including a special gadget to help me load it by myself. I knew I had to practice with this bow long and hard because it was more pull and fire action than I was use too. And the freedom of loading it on my own gave me so much confidence. I shot that bow like I was born for it.

You see Sir, I said not every person is able bodied, some are disabled and have the joy and love and passion to go hunting. They have the love of taking a beautiful elk with a bow, or a huge white tail buck with their bow. Who is the one to say, sorry you can’t bow hunt because the cross bow isn’t a bow and the person is in a wheel chair or lacks the strength to pull a traditional bow. Or what if it is your grandfather who has hunted his whole life and has taught you how to hunt and maybe you are using his bow that he passed on to you because he can no longer pull it himself but a crossbow he can. He can continue to go bow hunting with you.

This year is my first ever bow hunt, you have heard my story, do you still think I am not a bow hunter because I use a cross bow? His answer was enjoy your hunting trip and shoot straight.

The points I wanted to make by writing this article about myself and hunting, there is always a story to tell someone who doesn’t understand. They don’t know. People fear the unknown so they chose to follow the known. Anti-hunters do not deal in facts from both sides because they don’t want to know all the information, but if you can sit and talk to a few and you change the views of those few, they will pass your words on, sharing. A person may have strong convictions and only chose their way until they are given another reason to think about such as putting their life into someone else’s shoes.

In closing just a small add of information more for you of things I share with curious people, I am a hunter and I am providing a healthy choice for my family. How do you cook this meat? I always heard stories about venison tasting so gamey. People didn’t like it. The meat was tough. I honestly didn’t want to even try it until…. One day I was given a moose roast and it was the best flipping piece of meat I had ever had.

At this time in my life I needed a project to keep me busy. My goal was to make recipes to change people’s views of game meat. Recipes so delicious you would never even know that you are eating something wild. I started my own wild game cookbook. The best part of this task, the meat was (I know hunters dislike this term but) harvested by me.

I am often asked for my recipe ideas and at the same time people love to share their ideas with me. I am an experimental cook, I have no formal culinary training and my husband is always my guinea pig (or should I say food tester). He hasn’t sent a meal back into my kitchen, so I can take that my odds are pretty good. You eventually learn what pairs nicely with each type of wild game you are working with and when that happens you are on your way to becoming your own “wild Chef”.
I try to explain to people, if you don’t like wild game meats because of a bad tasting experience, there is usually a number of factors that could be the cause. My motto is “if it tastes Funky to you then make it a Stew”. A stew is the solution to everything that goes wrong in the kitchen, it is comfort food.

Alison (Culinary Secrets from the Cabin)
Old 02-18-2016, 01:37 PM

A good read, full of personal insight and open minded opinions.

Thank you.

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."
Old 02-18-2016, 03:14 PM

Thanks Allison; good write-up and story.
Do some more!

One minor error, BC is not the only province to allow crossbows in archery seasons. Ontario does too .

I couldn't understand the vitriol towards them here in Alberta, even when I explained to guys 'ripping' me for having one that I have developed age related left shoulder and elbow problems that prevent me from shooting my recurve for more than a few shots, and I feel it is absolutely unethical to to be in top form for hunting with it. Fortunately up here in the Northeast of Alberta we have a three month long firearms season so I can use my crossbow just as long as I could in Ontario
Old 02-18-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
Thanks Allison; good write-up and story.
Do some more!

One minor error, BC is not the only province to allow crossbows in archery seasons. Ontario does too .

I couldn't understand the vitriol towards them here in Alberta, even when I explained to guys 'ripping' me for having one that I have developed age related left shoulder and elbow problems that prevent me from shooting my recurve for more than a few shots, and I feel it is absolutely unethical to to be in top form for hunting with it. Fortunately up here in the Northeast of Alberta we have a three month long firearms season so I can use my crossbow just as long as I could in Ontario :sHa_shake, shout:
Thank you I did not know that about Ontario... this is why I sometimes ask for feedback.... I learn new things....this is also why I need to do my grammar and punctuation check... it was actually the man I was speaking to who said BC was the only province but I still didn't know about Ontario. LOL LOL .I will make the necessary change ..

I have a couple more stories in my archives to share. Just didn't want to be to big of a nuisance yet.

It is all fine and dandy to be passionate about ones style of hunting and choice of weaponry but when that choice is taken from you beyond your control, you should not be chastised or be disallowed to continue in something you have enjoyed and continue to enjoy in your life.... especially because those who protest against it may one day find them selves in the same position of being unable to participate and then have to choke on their harsh words.

But as you say in Alberta you have a long gun season which gives you opportunity for using your crossbow. But IMO you should be able to use your crossbow in bow season if using your recurve is no longer an option for you.

I can bow hunt with my crossbow (for me it is circumstance). I also rifle hunt and have a special permit for my specific disability. We have a bow only season which I think is why some get their panties in a high wedgie because it allows crossbows. Never going to please everyone.

Last edited by moose_hunterette; 02-18-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:03 PM

Default Cross bows in Alberta.

Alberta also allows hunters who obtain a disabled permit the ability to use a crossbow in archery season.

Enjoy your time in the field.
Phil
Old 02-18-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Alberta also allows hunters who obtain a disabled permit the ability to use a crossbow in archery season.

Enjoy your time in the field.
Phil
That's awesome to know, Phil thank you

I love how a small part of my life can be shared and new information can come out to enlighten others.....

It is nice to learn about this as I go on my journey for advocating changes for people with invisible disabilities.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:57 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

VERY Well Said Gal!!

Although there is a mechanism in Alberta wherein one can apply for a Crossbow Permit (which allows you the use of said bow in regular archery seasons) it is quite difficult for most to meet their "qualifications". Even when you do, for the vast majority they make you re-apply each year. As if my shattered shoulder is somehow going to magically get better (although I certainly wish it would!). I fully commiserate with the "invisible disabilities" discrimination, for I am one and the same.

As far as "anti's" methinks (although I sincerely hope not!) your bringing up the crossbow issue may well bring out a few that lurk amongst the hunting groups quite similar to the fellow you mentioned above.

I really like your approach with regard to the general anti hunting nutbars though. One by one, many can be reasoned with, and slowly be brought into seeing the light. The hardcore ones unfortunately, methinks there is no amount of "reasoning" that will persuade them from their misguided beliefs.

Again, most excellent read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Cheers,
Nog
Old 02-18-2016, 07:13 PM

Thanks for sharing!

As was mentioned Alberta allows crossbows in the vast majority of the province during general seasons and for those who require a crossbow during archery season due to injury or disability.

I think they have the right balance for all IMHO.

Nog harvested a nice mule deer using his crossbow in Alberta (As a non-resident), if I recall the process he had to follow was fairly simple and not too difficult.

LC
Old 02-18-2016, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the great read. I hope you post more of your stories, I quite enjoyed it. I have a theory that anti hunters and vegans wouldn't be so critical of hunters if they couldn't drive to the store and buy their foods. The ability to live as 1 with nature is becoming further lost with each generation.
Leo M