Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-03-2016, 07:29 PM

Default Sitka fanatic jacket

Anyone own one of these? I really need a new jacket for cold weather sits, obviously the pockets and quiet material is a must. The price is insane, but I don't really see anything similar in my searching.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:32 PM
Banned

Default Sitka

Sitka goes on sale for 40% off at wholesale a couple times a year. Well worth the price.. Unbelievable customer service
Old 02-03-2016, 07:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver hunter View Post
Anyone own one of these? I really need a new jacket for cold weather sits, obviously the pockets and quiet material is a must. The price is insane, but I don't really see anything similar in my searching.
Keep looking. There is much more cost effective apparel out there.

I have the fanatic suit btw.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:36 PM
Banned

Don't get me wrong, Sitka gear is awesome stuff, but if you don't need specialized gear, there is way more cost effective clothing out there.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:40 PM

If you like the Sitka Fanatic jacket...look at the Day one jacket or pull over. You buy one with insulation and wind stop...it's really hard to beat!!! Warm, quiet, great camo, and it's a hunting jacket made by a hunter!!! Fits well, articulates well. Day one makes awesome stuff!!!
https://dayonecamouflage.com/tops/fleece
Old 02-04-2016, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Don't get me wrong, Sitka gear is awesome stuff, but if you don't need specialized gear, there is way more cost effective clothing out there.
True its way overpriced.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:35 AM

Never had any Sitka gear myself how does it compare with the kuiu stuff? I have a kuiu guide jacket and love it but am always looking for the next best thing.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:58 AM

Sitka is expensive yes but you definitely get what you pay for. If you need specialized gear then thats the way to go. They incorporate highly reputable brands like gore-tex, primaloft and windstopper within their clothing which may be a portion of the higher sticker price but this way you know you're getting the absolute best product.

And yea Sitka's customer service is second to none.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:16 PM

I don't own the Fanatic jacket, but I plan on buying it and the bib pants this year for bow hunting and cold sits.

I have tried different combinations of my own Sitka Open Country gear, but always end up with a cold lower back when I sit too long in the cold. That is why I want the Fanatic bibs. It is also a little quieter then the Open Country materials.

I own a ton of Sitka Open Country stuff (Kelvin pants and jacket, Timberline pant, Jetstream jacket, Ascent jacket and pants and some base layer stuff.

It is very good gear I have had it for years. It wears well and is worth the money, to me.

Now I wear Ice Breaker baselayers instead of the sitka stuff, it smells better after a long day in the field
Old 02-04-2016, 12:31 PM

Well worth the money in my eyes. Been running my stratus jacket and Bib combo for over 5 years now. Still like new
Old 02-04-2016, 01:09 PM

Get it @ whole sale sports when they go %40 off.. if you can wait.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I think a little bit more information would help us all steer you in the right direction.
Where and when do you do most of your hunting?
What sort of temperatures are you looking to get geared up for?
Are you hunting with a bow or rifle?

The thing with Sitka is that their products are designed with a specific use in mind and they really start to shine when you layer them. There is definitely a premium on them but from my own experience, buy once cry once.

Gerhard W.
Inside Sales
Old 02-04-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseRiver View Post
I think a little bit more information would help us all steer you in the right direction.

The thing with Sitka is that their products are designed with a specific use in mind and they really start to shine when you layer them. There is definitely a premium on them but from my own experience, buy once cry once.

Gerhard W.
Inside Sales
Mostly bow zone, sept to nov if that's what it takes. Need a new jacket for the colder days (up to -20).
Old 02-04-2016, 06:58 PM

Ya the Sitka gear is always really nice, if you can afford it...
Old 02-04-2016, 07:09 PM

Try one of those fancy new primaloft jackets with a camo under armour sweater over top..
Old 02-05-2016, 12:59 PM
Banned

It goes on sale at grouse river too.. They have the best selection on high end products in Canada... Great guys to deal with! Too bad they are in BC and you can't walk into a store in town

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseRiver View Post

Gerhard W.
Inside Sales
Old 02-05-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Mostly bow zone, sept to nov if that's what it takes. Need a new jacket for the colder days (up to -20).
If you plan on sitting november i would recommend the incinerator combo. Thats what I run when the temp drops with a light base layer (ice breaker as mentioned) and then heavier HH.

What Ive noticed and it isn't a flaw just the way its built with Sitka is that a lot of jackets at the back are shorter. Its done intentionally with the idea that you'll also buy the bib that way you'll get full coverage on your lower back without the bulkiness of two heavy layers which would become uncomfortable during long sits.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:09 PM

I opted for the cabela's whitetail wooltimate jacket as I got it on sale. It was that or the berber extreme parka which is awesome but not as versatile for different weather. Couldn't justify the big ticket for the fanatic...
Old 02-19-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I opted for the cabela's whitetail wooltimate jacket as I got it on sale. It was that or the berber extreme parka which is awesome but not as versatile for different weather. Couldn't justify the big ticket for the fanatic...
The Fanatic wouldn't keep you warm to -20 anyway. You would've needed to jump up to the Incinerator for that cold. Good stuff but sure is expensive.