Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-19-2002, 02:56 PM
This Fall

Default This Fall ??

Hope this isn't to dumb of a question. I haven't done any DD on the subject as I got my POL on the last possible day. A friend of mine didn't and asked me today: " If I go take the course, pass, and have proof will I be in trouble this fall hunting ?"
Does anyone know the answer to this ??
I highly doubt he'll receive the licence by September. He didn't hunt last fall do to work commitments. I don't think he'll be off the rigs for another two weeks, which brings him to July before he can even take the course.

Thanks in advance

Kod.
Old 06-19-2002, 03:34 PM
Budbellys Big Bore

Hey Kodiak
He doesn't have to take the course to get his PAL or POL. He can challenge the exam and if he passes he can have his license within 6 weeks. Which will put him the frame of late September to have his license.
Old 06-20-2002, 08:38 AM
winged1

Default fall

I suspect there will be a surge in the numbers of registrations taking place prior to this fall's season. A six week return might be hopeful.
Old 06-20-2002, 08:56 AM
Fall

Default Fall

OK, he has to have the actual licence in his hands, not just proof of passing the exam, because the Fed's have to check him out then approve it right ??

Thanks again

Kod.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:45 AM
Budbellys Big Bore

Default Re: Fall

I just went and wrote mine a couple months ago and it only took them 6 weeks to get it to me. Same with my hunting partner, we both wrote it the smae time and we both got them back within a day or two of each other. Looking at the amount of people that were challenging the exam and the amount of classes they had I think it would be completely possible to write it and have the plastic back before September is over, if not I would be surprised if it took longer than the first couple weeks of October. Still leaving lots of time to go hunting. Best of luck.
Old 06-20-2002, 01:34 PM
Kodiak

Thanks Bud, guess they must have got organized a bit, until.............the mandatory registering.
I'm very uncomfortable about this for a couple of reasons, the main one being giving someone a list of what I have on hand. Not that there's anything illegal, I just question the security. The software giants have hackers breaking in for no other real reason but to screw everything up. Can you imagine what the criminal minds could do with a list of every gun and locations of the law abiding citizens storing them who can't protect themselves ??
Hunting is too important to me to break the law and risk losing the privelage, but this sucks !!!!!!!!!

Sorry, got rambling.

Kod.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:44 PM
Budbellys Big Bore

No problem,
Ya I hear what you are saying. Alot of people are a little worried about devulging the info on their guns, but that reason is an excellent one. We all know how big of a screw ball Cretien is and I don't expect him to actually get something right after all these years. But onn the same hand I do want to go hunting and I don't want to spend the next 10 years working to pay off a fine. I guess we have to bite the bullett so to speak.
Old 06-20-2002, 03:42 PM
Brady

Hey Ya'll
Just because we are not allowed to protect our selves with our firearms doesn't there aren't other things we can do. If some one wants to get into my house they will have to get through 2 rottys, then they have to get get into the house, then they will have to get by a bat weilding housewife that wakes up on a pin drop and don't like getting woke up very much. Teach your loved ones how to defend themselves, just because I can't hang my 30-30 over the bed any more doesn't mean we can't replace it with something legal (pepper spray etc.).

We have to put our guns away but we don't have to put our fight away.

Brady
Old 06-21-2002, 09:00 AM
winged1

Default security

Excellent point about potiential hacks on the data base. What a blunder that would be. Imagine a list of your inventory being sold black market to criminals. A real smorgasbord. An organized group could arm themselves literally overnight.
Old 06-24-2002, 04:30 PM
rotties

Default rotties

Brady, reading your post makes me wish I still had my Akita. Nice havin a big dog aint it? I thought since you had rotties I would ask you a couple questions about the breed because I would like another big dog for a camping and fishing companion. (I would get another Akita but they need way to much space for what the city can provide.)

1. How much space is needed for them?

2. How expensive is it for food and what not?

3. Are they hard to train?

Thanks kindly in advance,
Justin

P.S. sorry, I know this really doesn't have anything to do with the thread.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:00 PM
Brady

Default Re: rotties

Hey Shrubs;

Yes it sure is nice having these two dogs here, it gives me a little piece of mind when I am away at work or when the family is out. Our dogs are excellent camping companions when we take them out they tend to stay with the kids very well. Living where we do we don't have a lot of space for them but the break n enter rate is quite high, but we take them on quite a few walks and runs behind the quads. To answer your questions....

1. Depends on how much you go out, if you live in the city, and how much time you spend with them.

2.We spend about 40 loonies a month on food bills and burn many calories on the working end of a goon spoon.

3.What kind of training? We taught both of these dogs basic obiedience and they took to it really good and fast. If you have kids, take them with you when you pick one out and let the puppy pick you and your family. It seems that they will protect your family as well as be great playmates for your kids this way.

We picked rotties because they are very well tempered but very persuasive when it comes to keeping unwanted people out of your yard, and in the winter they can be a great door mat and they don't make much of a mess as apposed to a husky or other long haired dogs.

Hope this helps you out.

Brady
:rollin