Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2015, 07:51 PM

Default Costa Rica

Which side of Costa rica is the better resort side? Looking for all inclusives. Like to snorkel and be in the water if it's fairly calm and warm. Also would like to get out fishing for a day.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:07 PM

Default Costa Rica

When we went I preferred the Pacific side
Old 02-13-2015, 09:29 PM

The mountains are the best scenery and culture. But the cold (by comparison only) pacific has far better surf and fish. The Atlantic side is the gulf which has little current and probably better snorkeling.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:32 AM

Been there a bunch of times and visited the Atlantic, Pacific and the Mountains. The only thing on Atlantic side is Tarpon fishing at remote camps, minimal access for the entire coast. Been to Limon on the way to a tarpon lodge, it's an industrial port that I wouldn't recommend for tourist visit. Pacific is great, lots of sleepy towns catering to tourists (lots of surfers) with great food and beautiful scenery. Mountains are good too, Arenal volcano is a big attraction with natural hot pools etc. I've always rented a car and went exploring, give yourself a couple weeks if you can as you will probably find some gems. It's so nice down there my buddy opened a little hotel in a seaside village and has been doing that for about ten years now.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:39 AM

I Just to returned from the pacific side and the ocean was warm people were friendly and lots of stuff to do. I have heard Conchal beach is good for snorkeling. Did some surf fishing but caught nothing while the locals out fished us with hand lines and wooden floating plugs. Langosta beach across the Tamarindo river estuary was where the locals fished. Watch the tides after crossing the river as it is probably impassable at high tide. Lots of fishing charters around Tamarindo.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by borchy View Post
I Just to returned from the pacific side and the ocean was warm people were friendly and lots of stuff to do. I have heard Conchal beach is good for snorkeling. Did some surf fishing but caught nothing while the locals out fished us with hand lines and wooden floating plugs. Langosta beach across the Tamarindo river estuary was where the locals fished. Watch the tides after crossing the river as it is probably impassable at high tide. Lots of fishing charters around Tamarindo.
What does something like that cost?Say for 2 weeks,the wife really wants to go somewhere,if the fishing is good I might go with her.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
What does something like that cost?Say for 2 weeks,the wife really wants to go somewhere,if the fishing is good I might go with her.
Pm sent
Old 02-14-2015, 08:46 AM

Is there any particular place on the pacific side? Girlfriend would like more of the standard all inclusive than a DIY one.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:36 AM

Check out toursyourway.com for tours. Great. We stayed at occidental grand papagayo a few years ago. Pretty decent place. Great snorkelling out front, howler monkeys in the trees. Food was good. Rum was great. Going back in March and staying in tamarindo. Not doing the all inclusive thing this time though. The tour where you go tubing in the mountains is amazing if you like thrills. It's basically a 5 km long whitewater tube ride. Enjoy.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Is there any particular place on the pacific side? Girlfriend would like more of the standard all inclusive than a DIY one.
The Daria in Tamarindo looks nice and is right in the heart of Tamarindo. Never stayed there but they have rooms right on the beach as well as across the street from the beach. Looked expensive. Quick search online will tell you a lot.