Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2015, 10:09 PM

Default 1 12 inch sub enough? What brand?

Hi, I am looking at putting subs in my 2002 Chevrolet 1500 extended cab and I am wondering if one 12 inch sub would hit hard enough? Or would I be better off with 2 10s or 2 12s? And what brands should I look for when buying? I want good quality sounding.
Thanks!
Old 02-12-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin98 View Post
Hi, I am looking at putting subs in my 2002 Chevrolet 1500 extended cab and I am wondering if one 12 inch sub would hit hard enough? Or would I be better off with 2 10s or 2 12s? And what brands should I look for when buying? I want good quality sounding.
Thanks!

anything alpine would do you good, i just got an alpine shallow mount 12" type R for my 2013 ext.cab f150 to go under the back bench seat, powered with an older 600W class d mono alpine mpr m650 amp.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Jsziu7l...e-SWR-T12.html this is the sub i got

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jd1jglE...-MRP-M650.html this one is no longer available, just an old one i bought years ago.

depends on what type of music you listen to, whether you want a hit or a thump. 10's give more of a hit, better for rock, 12s give more of a thump for rapish/heavy bass. with more subs you need more power consider that, price goes up and it puts wear on your trucks electrical system, dimming lights when listening could mean you need more power or a cap.

Last edited by zero; 02-12-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:12 PM

Hahaha I was hon a suggest a cold cut combo with extra mayo. ..... My bad
Old 02-12-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
Hahaha I was hon a suggest a cold cut combo with extra mayo. ..... My bad
Haha, you mods have been on a roll today.

Op a 12" should be adequate. Alpine all the way!
Old 02-12-2015, 10:30 PM

ROCKFORD

Or whatever brand you find in a vehicle at the wreckers or kijiji.
Buy used. Cheaper.
You can find out what you want.
Maybe 10 isn't enough, sell it and upgrade....
Add another.
Then a crossover, door speakers.
Amplifier and another just for the door speakers.
It can get pretty crazy if you buy new.

Have them plug it in so you can test it if at all possible.

I'm still storing the system I had in a truck in the 90's.
Maybe one day I'll install it. But probably not.
I'm old

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 02-12-2015, 10:30 PM

Go with an 8 and a 12, full range bass.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 02-12-2015, 10:51 PM

Default Size of sub

I'm not sure there is enough room for a concealed (behind or under the seat) 12" sub to run efficiently??? Better in my opinion to run 2 10's in optimal sized enclosures than to one 12" in a box with not enough internal volume.

Depending on the music you listen to and the sound you want will determine if you want to build a sealed box vs. a ported box......Tight, hard hitting = sealed
Loud and loose sound = ported
As far as brand goes..... I have had Phoenix Gold, JL Audio, Rockford, Alpine and kicker. With all brands the old saying stands true... You get what you pay for. I have 2, 12" P3 Rockfords in my car right now and they hurt my ears.

There is absolutely no benefit in running a 12 if there is not enough space though... Honest.

Zip-Ty

Last edited by Zip-Ty; 02-12-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:53 PM

I have about 2 or 3 10" subs in storage in my garage, one is a Rockford and Another is a JL Audio, I'm fairly sure that two of the three have dual voice coils. PM me, this is stuff I'll never again use. I also have a 5-channel Alpine amp in there.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:57 PM

I had 2 10's in a Ranger extended cab and it was too much. At one time or another I've had Phoenix Gold, Kicker, Pioneer Premier, JL, Rockford Fosgate, Boss Audio and Kenwood. One thing to remember with 10's you'll be able to hear inside the vehicle but not that loud obnoxious down the street sound you get with 12's and 15's. 10's will pound harder as they're not moving as much air and they have quicker reflexes. A friend of mine had 2 15" JL's in the back of his 1500 back in high school in Lacombe and that was absolutely ridiculous. First time he cranked his stereo he shattered his back window in his truck.

Anyways the subs I think are the way to go right now are Rockford Fosgate P2 subs. Go with a dual voice coil 4ohm and wire it down to 2ohm. Match it up with a mono block amp pushing 300watts and you'll have enough but not enough to make your ears bleed. If you can afford them, JL is the way to go. Personally I would stay away from used Subs and amps. You never know if they overpowered them and damaged the voice coil, or overheated the amp and caused damage. I'd also stay away from Sony and anything you generally find at Best Buy/Futureshop type places. Go to an car audio store to see what you like and then buy online. Wiring an amp up is pretty simple as long as you have preouts on your deck.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin98 View Post
Thanks!

JL 10" W8

Insane.....
Old 02-13-2015, 12:13 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCawU6BE8P8

Thinking about bass reminded me of this...
Old 02-14-2015, 02:18 PM
Banned

Quiznos is my favorite...
Old 02-14-2015, 05:14 PM

If you can, find yourself a Phoenix Gold titanium series sub. They're no longer made, but they are an awesome sub. You'd have to find an overstock or a used one. They're nearly indestructible...
Old 02-14-2015, 09:10 PM

Buy a good sub and a quality amp. I have run just about every high end brand and once they are behind/under a seat the differences arent noticable. Dont port your sub box unless you like sloppy sounding bass. Ports just cause the sub to push air and rattle stuff. Myself, I liked the 10" subs as they gave me the most range in a sub. Dont under power your sub and you should be fine. BTW, I used to run competition subs in my '98 GMC extended cab but I had 8 ten inch subs. The sub box looked like a big domino. I was thinking about installing something in my truck and if I am going to do it I will most likely go with a single 12" just to get that deepness of bass that the other speakers cant give.