Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2015, 06:44 AM
Banned

Default Cenovus Lays of 15%

An article in the TMX Money Webpage said Cenovus is laying off 15% or it's workers. It said they were primarily contract workers not that it makes a difference. It did not say how many would be affected but I am sure it is quite a few. They also said Cenovus was positioning for a long term run of low oil pricing.

I sure feel sorry for all the families that are being impacted here and in other layoffs happening throughout the Province.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
An article in the TMX Money Webpage said Cenovus is laying off 15% or it's workers. It said they were primarily contract workers not that it makes a difference. It did not say how many would be affected but I am sure it is quite a few. They also said Cenovus was positioning for a long term run of low oil pricing.

I sure feel sorry for all the families that are being impacted here and in other layoffs happening throughout the Province.
Calm before the storm. This is going to be bad. Media does not even cover it. I believe next year at this time. Alberta will on the ropes. Many unhappy people. Large dissent. The government will go ahead with a PST. All is quiet right now.
Shaw laid off 1600 yesterday, haliburton laying off 1000, Baker Hughes lay offs.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:48 AM

Shaw is diversifying, not cutting jobs. Something a company needs to do to remain competitive in the communications business of today. I'm honestly surprised it took this long once I started seeing Eastlink rolling around AB around 8 years ago.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:58 AM

If you know anyone who was a part of the layoffs here is an posting I found for Edmonton when I was looking for jobs the other day. Looks like it would be right up the alley of lots of these workers.

https://emploisfp-psjobs.cfp-psc.gc....807&psrsMode=1
Old 02-12-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsherman72 View Post
If you know anyone who was a part of the layoffs here is an posting I found for Edmonton when I was looking for jobs the other day. Looks like it would be right up the alley of lots of these workers.

https://emploisfp-psjobs.cfp-psc.gc....807&psrsMode=1
How many have this?

Successful completion* of two (2) years post-secondary education from a recognized educational institution (e.g. community college, CEGEP, university)

* You must clearly indicate your education level.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
How many have this?

Successful completion* of two (2) years post-secondary education from a recognized educational institution (e.g. community college, CEGEP, university)

* You must clearly indicate your education level.
Well considering that is an ASSET qualification and not an essential qualification that does not really matter. The minimum they are looking for is high school. You cannot be screened out becasue you do not meet an asset qualification.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Well considering that is an ASSET qualification and not an essential qualification that does not really matter. The minimum they are looking for is high school. You cannot be screened out becasue you do not meet an asset qualification.
I'm guessing a lot of deskies are out of work as well, and happen to have this as a minimum, just a thought is all.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:28 AM

I used to work in pulp and paper before i tried oil and gas..... and wow! There is a tonne of waste and fat to cut, lol. The cost of the production and processing itself isnt too high, its just all the junk associated with running the company that is killing economics. I think the future gets pretty bright once a good gutting of managment and safety plays itself out.

Lots of meatballs running around with new ideas and posturing to do while very few people actually run operations and perform maintenance
Old 02-12-2015, 09:34 AM

Club Supersex workers in Quebec have to pay a fee to work at a location because the tips are so ridiculously high.
What if Energy Service Companies had to pay up before be allowed to attach to the teat
Old 02-12-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Well considering that is an ASSET qualification and not an essential qualification that does not really matter. The minimum they are looking for is high school. You cannot be screened out because you do not meet an asset qualification.
Even if a lot of "lay off" applicants had the Essentials and the ASSET Qualifications at the screening stage, many wouldn't meet the Reliability Status, Security Clearance and Credit Check.

The rest would get punted by the pee test - but I don't think the Feds have that - even for higher security clearance.

It's hard to get good help nowadays - but that will change dramatically as the layoffs spread.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:37 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79ford View Post
I used to work in pulp and paper before i tried oil and gas..... and wow! There is a tonne of waste and fat to cut, lol. The cost of the production and processing itself isnt too high, its just all the junk associated with running the company that is killing economics. I think the future gets pretty bright once a good gutting of managment and safety plays itself out.

Lots of meatballs running around with new ideas and posturing to do while very few people actually run operations and perform maintenance
x2
Old 02-12-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
Even if a lot of "lay off" applicants had the Essentials and the ASSET Qualifications at the screening stage, many wouldn't meet the Reliability Status, Security Clearance and Credit Check.

The rest would get punted by the pee test - but I don't think the Feds have that - even for higher security clearance.

It's hard to get good help nowadays - but that will change dramatically as the layoffs spread.
Too many qualification but the wages are not competing with the industry. Sometimes I wonder if they really are strict on this qualification especially when you deal with the actual employee
Old 02-12-2015, 10:54 AM

My good friend owns a company that is a major contractor for Cenvous and has had his workforce cut from 100-130 men to 15. Other contractors are/going to be getting the same treatment
Old 02-12-2015, 11:10 AM

Yep, what 79ford said,
Half the people at desks in large process plants, O&G for sure, could be let go and the plants would still run.
That should tell you where the dead weight is.
The operators in the coveralls run the show.

TBark
Old 02-12-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Yep, what 79ford said,
Half the people at desks in large process plants, O&G for sure, could be let go and the plants would still run.

TBark
Don't forget about us maintenance guys fixing your stuff. There's soo much fat to be trimmed in our plants. Just hope they miss the meat!
Old 02-12-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Yep, what 79ford said,

TBark

They actively stuff every office place where i am at full of administration and management.

The thing i am noticing with layoffs this time around is they are targeting 'non billable' employees.... the analysts, hr consultants, IT, middle managment paper pushers, other administration etc.

Like Eog resources selling out... calgary office closed and field operations were maintained. That was a prime example of corporate gluttony in alberta, 90 people in calgary and 16 people operating the oil field!!
Old 02-12-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79ford View Post
hat was a prime example of corporate gluttony in alberta, 90 people in calgary and 16 people operating the oil field!!
Not corporate gluttony at all. You have no idea the amount of administrative work there is in even the smallest companies. The industry as a whole in Alberta has regulated itself to death. It has to change, especially in todays climate.

I'm not usually one for doom and gloom talk, but if prices don't recover in the next six months or so, I'll quote our CFO, "its gonna be a bloodbath."
Old 02-12-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbAngler View Post
Not corporate gluttony at all. You have no idea the amount of administrative work there is in even the smallest companies. The industry as a whole in Alberta has regulated itself to death. It has to change, especially in todays climate.

I'm not usually one for doom and gloom talk, but if prices don't recover in the next six months or so, I'll quote our CFO, "its gonna be a bloodbath."
Apperantly the new owner didnt need the 90 people and down town calgary office lol
Old 02-12-2015, 09:33 PM

I said about half the desk jobs could go, not all.
Yes admin staff is required for sure, but they are very heavy weighted in #'s

A few times per year when a bad storm hits, rain, snow whatever.
PA system announces, all non essential staff can leave at noon, or whenever.
Amaized at the # of people I see leaving, I just smile and say, be afraid, be very afraid.

TBark
Old 02-13-2015, 09:41 PM

I'm one of them office gorks. I know I don't get the oil out of thr ground or make it flow or make it ready for sale. But I get the permits that let the other guys do that stuff. But as TBark says; there has to be balance....

And yes I'm afraid.....
Old 02-14-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Yep, what 79ford said,

TBark

T-bark: Thought you said you worked at shell? Been years since the ops ran that place. If you dont have a pinky ring you dont go very far. This in my 4 th slow down I've gone through and its always the same.

During the good times they stack to office tower with staff and during the bad times they lay them off. Just round and round like a big circus.

Nothing will ever change.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:31 PM

Hope everything fairs ok for everybody.

My buddy was a guy at EOG Resources. He thankfully found a new place of work.