Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-11-2015, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
My labs would eat the tires off a tractor like it was Christmas dinner.
LOL, near spit coffee over my laptop.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:54 PM

Default Labs not the Only ones

I'm sure the Griff would eat the rims ....

I have some interesting stories about my Lab passing

Children's sandbox toys or chewed the arms off a wet suit .

Mans best friend indeed
Old 02-11-2015, 05:59 PM

Haha, my parents great dane ate a pair of underwear, they had no idea until it passed through him....
Old 02-11-2015, 06:12 PM

my 2 boys eat acana , the fish kind is their favorite but its pricey , the ranchlands made the wirehairs arse spray crap and he's farted us to death , the chicken and squash is what they get usually and its been great for them. my old mastiff used to eat eukanuba and she lived till she was 14 years old with no health issues so i can say that that was decent food too.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:21 PM

Default kirklands

Wouldnt feed any dog of Mine any
Old 02-11-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech1 View Post
Wouldnt feed any dog of Mine any
Proof you dont have a clue 😄
Old 02-11-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper23 View Post
Too much food. We have 2 golden Retreivers and they get a cup each, morning and night. Perfect shape and energy. Both weigh in at 35 kgs.
Completely depends on the dog.

My Dobie has always ate a lot. The breeder showed me how much food to give him when he was a pup and I didn't believe her. He wolfed it down no problem.

Pile of raw hamburger
Sardines
raw eggs
water
Some kibble mixed in at times, etc.

It was a full grown dogs bowl brimming with food. That little bugger finished it and went looking for more.

Even till this day he eats over 1.2lbs of raw food twice a day with added veggies and fruit. He's a very trim 82lbs.

For the original poster, try raw. You'll be amazed. Plus certain kibble is too rich for some dogs.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:15 PM

Default Feed Kirkland exclusively

and have recommended it to many clients that had expressed concern about their existing food choice. Once the dogs tried it dont know of any of them that have changed back. Good solid food for a reasonable price and I buy it by truck loads. My latest pup (Mako) did very well on Kirkland puppy for the first 12 months of his life and is doing well on the adult food now for 2-3 months.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo1969 View Post
Got a lab pup 4 months old he was started on Kirkland puppy food until 8 weeks old when I got him I switched him over slowly to the acana puppy food but doesn't seems to agree with him. Has lose stools and try pooping a long time lots bad gas to lol. Think I will try a different kind but not sure what. Is the Costco food good quality?
I did a lot of reading up on different types of dog food a few years ago and Costco dog food was at the top. We fed acana, science diet, and Eagle Pack over the last three dogs. We are now feeding Eagle pack cause that's what the breeder recommended. It's been good for her. My sister is a vet and she recommends and only feeds science diet. I think she was convinced by the company in vet school though.

We fed cheap dog food that we bought at the feed store with my first dog. We switched to science diet senior when she was 9-10. It drastically improved her health, quality of life, and I believe kept her alive longer. She died at 15 so she did well.

I feed good quality food to my dog because of the difference we saw when we switched from the cheap food.

I would suggest Eagle Pack since we feed it now and our dog is doing well with it. When you switch start mixing foods adding a little more at a time until you are completely on the new food.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper23 View Post
Too much food. We have 2 golden Retreivers and they get a cup each, morning and night. Perfect shape and energy. Both weigh in at 35 kgs.
Your dogs are adults though. Pups get a lot more food. As a 4 month old pup my dog ate about 4 cups a say. Now 1 cup morning and night just like yours. Feed a puppy food for the first year and follow the recommended amounts to be fed on the dog food bag dropping the amount of food you feed if the dog gains weight. Best to keep them trim.

Dog food companies want to sell dog food so they recommend the max feeding amount. I start at that level and cut them back as needed. I stay at the recommended amount for pups though. They need plenty to develop yo their potential.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:56 PM

Used eaglepack for on my lab for 12 yrs never a problem! My second lab was always famished and tried everything... ended up with orijin, he pooped a lot but he also ate his poop... ( A whole nother story ) Used the slow feed bowl and he would just tip it over so I then bolted it down to a 4'x3' piece of OSB... well he ripped that off too...
Old 02-11-2015, 10:33 PM

I'd stay away from any dog food from Costco. Most likely imported from China and have had recalls on the Kirkland name. Costco doesn't seem to care what's in the food they sell.
Hell I had a friend stay with me for a week and he went to Costco and came home with Duck treats for my dog. Read the bag, yep from China. Also on the bag was treated with irradiation. Apparently they have to nuke the meat before its allowed to be exported to Canada.

I also did some research on the web into any dog food that would say for sure there wasn't anything from China in it. The only one that said there was absolutely no China product in their food was Orijen. Most of the other premium food had vitamins from China added.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:45 PM
Gone Hunting

"I'd stay away from any dog food from Costco. Most likely imported from China and have had recalls on the Kirkland name. Costco doesn't seem to care what's in the food they sell.
Hell I had a friend stay with me for a week and he went to Costco and came home with Duck treats for my dog. Read the bag, yep from China. Also on the bag was treated with irradiation. Apparently they have to nuke the meat before its allowed to be exported to Canada.

I also did some research on the web into any dog food that would say for sure there wasn't anything from China in it. The only one that said there was absolutely no China product in their food was Orijen. Most of the other premium food had vitamins from China added."

What does this even mean. You are afraid of dog food at Costco??

Most likely you haven't fed it.What recalls. Did it ever occur to you that some dogs like Chinese Foods?

What a bunch of tripe.

"Yes Dear" was supplementing her old horse's feed with "step 8"
Horse did well on it till he died at 36 years old.

I'm not sure what all went into the step8, but I know it wasn't meat. Probably evil grain and stuff.
My dogs would race the horse for this stuff. It was more of treat than dog treats were.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-11-2015, 10:52 PM

There was a recall in 2012... I cant think of a brand that has not had a recall at one point or another.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...g-food-recall/

Last edited by Hydro1; 02-11-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltornup View Post
I'd stay away from any dog food from Costco. Most likely imported from China and have had recalls on the Kirkland name. Costco doesn't seem to care what's in the food they sell.

I also did some research on the web into any dog food that would say for sure there wasn't anything from China in it. The only one that said there was absolutely no China product in their food was Orijen. Most of the other premium food had vitamins from China added.
I know i dislike the food but i made that decision based on nutrional content.
Not throwing out random guesses about the food.
It is manufactured by Diamond Pet Foods, Inc., owned by Schell and Kampeter, Inc. They are a U.S.-based pet food manufacturer with plants located in Meta, Missouri, Lathrop, California and Gaston, South Carolina. The company is a family-owned, privately-held enterprise, still managed by the Schell and Kampeter family
Old 02-12-2015, 07:20 AM

I feed my adult small dog Acana (Wild Prairie I think its called). He does very well on a high protein diet. Stools are firmer, smaller and less often. So much better then the crap he ate before loaded with grains and corn... Dog are carniviores lol!

If I had the time I'd do raw. Too smeamish about organs though.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitefishLady View Post
I feed my adult small dog Acana (Wild Prairie I think its called). He does very well on a high protein diet. Stools are firmer, smaller and less often. So much better then the crap he ate before loaded with grains and corn... Dog are carniviores lol!

If I had the time I'd do raw. Too smeamish about organs though.
The bolded text is the exact reason why some of those so passionate about about 'biologically appropriate' are most often so utterly incorrect.

You need to do more actual research and not rely on what the Blue Buffalo commercials tell you
Old 02-12-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltornup View Post

You do realize that even champion foods (Orijen/Acana) has had recalls on their products right? Blue buffalo has had numerous, Diamond, eukanuba etc etc the list goes on. What a goofy comment.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:20 AM

Oddly I would be suspicious of a company that did not have a recall,

no one bats 1000.

So if they did not have a recall to me it says they are not looking.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:46 AM

Default Real Poo

Tigger brings up a good point , I've never owned a good bird dog
That wasn't partial to field poo . The Griffon was addicted to cow
Paddies , till the age of five ....fortunately the dry ones .
I probably hunted stateside with 10 or so Britts over the years
All were scat hounds . All I know is dollar per pound this dog
Is eating better than I am .

FYI .....I been feeding Champion foods since they started up .
I am pretty sure they have had a couple of recalls , voluntary .

Kirkland made by Diamond dog food ........Google and read the recalls .
Now Costco may be supervising as they say .....but it's Costco

Last edited by Winch101; 02-12-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:44 AM

Default Dog Food

My wife and i just changed our dogs over to Acana because they have had the leased amount of recalls. A friend of a friend just lost there 2 year oold dog a of a sudden and yes they were useing Kirkland food from Costco. They were advised from the vet to bring the bag of dog food in and have it anilized.They found saminella in the food, I believe there was some phone calls made to Costco that did not come out with any resalution. So they posted it on Facebook and with in couple days recieved a phone call from Costco to take it down or be sued. The people got scared and took it down, so in tern not Kirkland food in my house or treats.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badshot View Post
My wife and i just changed our dogs over to Acana because they have had the leased amount of recalls. A friend of a friend just lost there 2 year oold dog a of a sudden and yes they were useing Kirkland food from Costco. They were advised from the vet to bring the bag of dog food in and have it anilized.They found saminella in the food, I believe there was some phone calls made to Costco that did not come out with any resalution. So they posted it on Facebook and with in couple days recieved a phone call from Costco to take it down or be sued. The people got scared and took it down, so in tern not Kirkland food in my house or treats.
says who?

Kirkland brand/Diamond dog foods have had exactly 1 recall that they expanded over the course of a year to ensure the contaminated product was removed from the supply line.

Champion foods have had 3 since 2003. Where are you people getting your 'facts' from. Good lord
Old 02-13-2015, 12:13 PM

Well when you are being threatened for saying your dog died from samunilla. Just saying.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:37 PM

Default Proof

A multi billion conglomerate will never admit it poisoned your dog. To costlyfor them. Evidence you have, salmonella tested and present they have a battery of veterinarians,lawyers,consultants who will drive you into the ground,bankrupt you keep you in litigation until you cannot go any further.And remember thi s isn't theU,S.and this isn't a human being . Don't kid yourselves it's the almighty buck driven. This food is produced in China and even though their brand may appear on the bag responsibility is well,shrugged off.Do your research ,see whose had recalls and problems with their product .W e love our pets they are family lets do our best keeping them safe and healthy
Old 02-14-2015, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro1 View Post
People will argue over dog food until the end of time... Everyone has an opinion on whats good or bad and why. This is just my opinion.

Costco food is junk, pure crap.
Acana puppy is a good food, light years ahead of kirkland.
How much are you feeding?
Your dogs weight?

the puppies who dont do well on acana are more often than not being fed too much.
X2

I fed my guy Acana puppy as well and it didn't agree with him either....it turned out it was because Acana was puppy was to rich....basically Acana regular food has about as much fat in it as other brands labeled "puppy" food anyway. Talked to the owners at the pet planet we go to and they said it isn't uncommon for puppy's to not do well on the Acana puppy brand (Acana never used to have a puppy branded food but realized people were not buying Acana for their puppy's just because it didn't say puppy on the bag so came out with one)

I just fed him Acana Ranchlands and he did great on it, and if you read the bag it has just as much fat and protein as store brand puppy foods do.

Acana is high quality food....my trainer only uses Acana, and my breeder is one of those people that insists on only feeding Raw food to the dogs but will say if you don't feed your dog raw then Acana is the only dry food she recommends.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
A multi billion conglomerate will never admit it poisoned your dog. To costlyfor them. Evidence you have, salmonella tested and present they have a battery of veterinarians,lawyers,consultants who will drive you into the ground,bankrupt you keep you in litigation until you cannot go any further.And remember thi s isn't theU,S.and this isn't a human being . Don't kid yourselves it's the almighty buck driven. This food is produced in China and even though their brand may appear on the bag responsibility is well,shrugged off.Do your research ,see whose had recalls and problems with their product .W e love our pets they are family lets do our best keeping them safe and healthy
I have. Its not produced in china as you say it is. It also hasnt had the gross amount of recalls you claim. Actually the brand you are vouching for has had more. Other than what your nieghbor tells you, what research exactly have you done?
Old 02-14-2015, 08:50 AM

Default Kirklands

Definitely NOT vouching for this.The data was gathered from food remaining in bag ,and from stool.Conclusive as to cause of death .You however get caught holding a smoking gun ,you have the money to back you ,you are giant industry you can tie this up in court litigation,until someone says Uncle won,t be them.Does anybody have the resources , the money ,time of work to pursue ,hardly..so you take your cap in hand before mighty Goliath and say nothing before Goliath crushes you .I don 't know what's safe ,what isn't out there,except from my own personal experience,and trying to tell others that it can and does happen
Old 02-14-2015, 09:09 AM

I did my research and here's what I came up with.
First of all overfeeding is a huge threat to dogs health. feed them Orijen all you want, but if they are obese yo are not feeding them well.
So my opinion:

Kirkland/costco is the best value for money. It is not the best dog food, but it is better than supermaket brands. I mix it 50/50 with Acana Wild Prairie which is a high quality dog food. (G&E pharmacy is the cheapest place in Edmonton)

I can't afford to eat steak all the time, so I don't think it's unreasnoble for me to provide my dogs with a lesser quality mix.

By mixing dog foods, if there is a recall of one, at least it was only half of my dogs diet. I also feed my dogs high quality table scraps (unsalted meats & raw carrots). Maybe once every couple of weeks I give them a can of salmon.

If I was a millionaire, my dogs would be eating Orijen, but I'm not.
Anybody who even takes the time to research dog food will likely provide thier pet with a good diet.

Another thing I learn't is to switch over dog foods slowly (over 3 weeks)
Constructive feedback welcomed.

I don't give my dogs (or family) any food made in China. They have documented instances of poisoning thier own babies food, I'm 100% certain they do not care about pets overseas.

Last edited by Heyupduck; 02-14-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:19 AM

I'll weigh in. My wife has worked in the veterinary industry for a while and seen all sorts of things.

Acana is a good food, but it might not be right for your particular dog. There's lots of great foods out there, and just as many poor ones.

We feed our dogs the Acana fish blend, as one of the pups has some food sensitivities / allergies. It seems to work the best for us. If we didn't have the restrictions, I wouldn't be scared to feed Origen, Kirkland, or any other good food. Just stay away from crap like Old Roy.

It might take some time, but try a few smaller bags of different foods until you find something that both your dog likes and agrees with his system. In the meantime, cut out all the other stuff - the treats, table scraps, etc. once you find a food that works, then go about reintroducing the other stuff. More often than not, the extras are where the problems will stem from.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Definitely NOT vouching for this.The data was gathered from food remaining in bag ,and from stool.Conclusive as to cause of death .You however get caught holding a smoking gun ,you have the money to back you ,you are giant industry you can tie this up in court litigation,until someone says Uncle won,t be them.Does anybody have the resources , the money ,time of work to pursue ,hardly..so you take your cap in hand before mighty Goliath and say nothing before Goliath crushes you .I don 't know what's safe ,what isn't out there,except from my own personal experience,and trying to tell others that it can and does happen
No one here says a recall cant happen or your friends case didnt happen. What i am saying isnits not made in china. Its also not a junk food because of your friends instance. Your being about as logical as an antivaxers arguement.