Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2014, 09:03 PM

Check this site out www.royceranch.com We breed and raise foundation quarter horses. Maybe we have something you like
Old 11-05-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
Do you have a name? Edson is quite far but that sounds interesting.
His name is Aubry.1 (780) 795-2551
Old 11-05-2014, 11:47 PM

Trying to help you a little here. Try to buy older well broke horses instead of younger green ones you can grow & learn with.

Green & green equals black & blue.

All the best.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:48 AM

Check out the general store on Roping the web. Horses for sale in Alberta postings.

http://www.agriculture.alberta.ca/ap...ll&cat1=Horses
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-06-2014, 06:49 AM

Thanks everybody.

I still don't think that a good horse has to cost $10k and more. That's like saying only Mercedes and BMW are worth buying. I have been on horses that were definitely pricey ($30k+ QH) and were not trained well and spoiled rotten (pushy, always in your pockets etc.). I also have been on rescue horses that were pretty much free.
I might not be ready to start a horse but I am a decent rider. We have done lots of groundwork with horses and have a great trainer on hand.
That doesn't mean I want a crappy horse either but a decent one with potential.

Older is fine too but then it really needs to be decent and well trained. I believe it's easier to (re-)train a younger horse than older ones. They are often set in their way and for good. Just like people. :-)

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 11-06-2014, 07:25 AM

Default ICE Quarter Horses

Josey, we have two horses from Darcy at ICE Quarter horses, near Halkirk. They are wonderful. Both of ours are young, and I've not got decades of experience on horseback, but I trust them both. We do two weeks packing in the backcountry each year -- I'd take either one.
If you were earnest enough to travel for them, I'd go see Darcy. For what you're after, I think you'd get the horses you want. Darcy would put you on a few he knows well, watch you ride, watch them with you, and help you pick two that fit. He'd even polish them up if you needed more time on them.
Their bloodlines are solid, the horses are chosen for their quiet nature, and he sends the smart and stable slow ones to people like us -- keeps the rodeo in the arena where it should be.
PM if you want to connect with him. I'll send him a note to set up a call.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Try not to live or die on your preferences. Good one come in all breeds & colors. Try to buy private- Nugent's or Northern Horse as mentioned. Auction is 'buyer beware' good luck. All the best.
sound advice x2
Old 11-06-2014, 07:35 AM

Default horse buying

Northern Horse was a good one, I had bought a horse I found on there.

Also you can watch infomall.ca / trading post then watch in the horses. there are some good horse trainer in the NE selling horses on here and lots of just local horses moving.

you would have to travel, but the horses are reasonable.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Have a look at the Friesian Horse, beautiful black horse with long manes and tail.

You can ride them or hitch them to a cart.

There are a few breeders in Alberta.

http://www.afha.ca/events/index.html
Not many Friesian owners around, wife has a mare that's current bred. Hoping they are going to be pulling a wagon in a few years.

Couple more things, make sure when you go look at the horse you go in the field and catch it, that it's not saddled up and ready for you, and once again don't buy on looks. We made that mistake on our first horse. Was saddled when we got there, real flashy horse, what we thought were really nice people, until we got the horse home.

There are amazing horses you can find out there for cheap, it just takes time to find them.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalan View Post
Not many Friesian owners around, wife has a mare that's current bred. Hoping they are going to be pulling a wagon in a few years.

Couple more things, make sure when you go look at the horse you go in the field and catch it, that it's not saddled up and ready for you, and once again don't buy on looks. We made that mistake on our first horse. Was saddled when we got there, real flashy horse, what we thought were really nice people, until we got the horse home.

There are amazing horses you can find out there for cheap, it just takes time to find them.
Thanks! Glad to hear there are good horses out there that are not too expensive.

I have heard about those selling strategies. We plan on either showing up early or let the horse out on a pasture and catch, saddle ourselves. I also want to run the horse through some groundwork and exercises. I am not just picking up a horse because it looks pretty.
I would also like to have the horse for a week or so with a return guarantee. I heard some people do that. If they don't it might be an indicator not to buy there. We'll see...

Has anybody heard about trailwise equine in Carstairs?

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 11-06-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siftr View Post
Josey, we have two horses from Darcy at ICE Quarter horses, near Halkirk. They are wonderful. Both of ours are young, and I've not got decades of experience on horseback, but I trust them both. We do two weeks packing in the backcountry each year -- I'd take either one.
If you were earnest enough to travel for them, I'd go see Darcy. For what you're after, I think you'd get the horses you want. Darcy would put you on a few he knows well, watch you ride, watch them with you, and help you pick two that fit. He'd even polish them up if you needed more time on them.
Their bloodlines are solid, the horses are chosen for their quiet nature, and he sends the smart and stable slow ones to people like us -- keeps the rodeo in the arena where it should be.
PM if you want to connect with him. I'll send him a note to set up a call.
I like the way this sounds. This fellow is spending some time fitting horse to customer, as I do also. You got us all pulling for you. Please post results, might take til spring. All the best.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:46 AM

To the OP, if you are considering buying a Nugent horse, as you've been advised to do in some previous posts, please PM me before you do so.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:44 PM

Best advice I can give you, is don't buy the damn thing yourself. I have been training and showing performance horses for 20 years as a non-pro, and I still get my little brother, who is a professional trainer, to check out prospects for me.

If you want to have a fun, reliable horse - look for something about 6 - 8 years old. Ranch ridden all the better. Even though the dollar has taken a **** kicking as of late, best place for ranch types and outfitters horses is still out of Montana. Lot of good hands down there. Lots more using horses than up here. Economy still in the tank.

You should be able to get a real decent ranch pony for about $5K range that will be broke, honest and sound. Expect to pay more for any color other than sorrel or something with a little chrome. Pay any less, and you are usually buying someone else's problem, and paying a (decent) trainer $800\month to fix. Expect at a minimum 120 days to fix those problems.

If you have a decent trainer on hand as you say you do - let him buy you the horse. Will save you untold aggravation. I can't count the number of people who have told me they got a "deal" on a horse, only to end up paying twice as much after the smoke cleared than they would have had they bought something decent in the first place.

Last edited by G.Barefooter; 11-06-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:40 PM

I have two first class horse trainers on Staff, thank God. Wife and son. Only reason I'm still in one piece.

Grizz
Old 11-23-2014, 06:55 AM

Just an update. We found a potential horse for my better half. We are having our trainer look at it today. Keep your fingers crossed. We might have found the first one! :-)

Old 11-23-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Just an update. We found a potential horse for my better half. We are having our trainer look at it today. Keep your fingers crossed. We might have found the first one! :-)
Good on ya. Another place to look at is Billings Livestock in Montana. Your not to far would be a day drive and make a long weekend out of it. View pics and info online and see if there's anything you like. They preview them there and sellers are good to talk to, good horsey type short holiday.

There ain't a lot of good deals around but my best deal has been sold an unbroke gelding to an older fella and bought him back dead broke and he turned him into a rope horse and anyone can ride him. Cost was 2500 difference and I didn't have to feed or trim his feet for three years! Win,win.
We also got a standardbred mare free off the track last week, not fast enough. Hooked her up to the cutter yesterday and good to go!
Old 11-24-2014, 10:22 AM

Default We have a 14 year old paint mare

Send me a PM if interested...we have a mare listed on Kijjii. We just don't have the time for her, she used to be on a guest riding ranch in Jasper but has been off know for 2 years. Needs a bit of work as she hasn't been ridden regularly, but she is a great horse. We had her listed for around 1200 but to the right person will let her go for 500.
See add ID 1020954034 in the Edmonton Area Kijjii listing.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:27 AM

We bought the horse! Vet check and if nothing critical, it's final. Very exciting and emotional.

Thanks for the comments everybody.

We are taking a break from horse shopping for a while to get in tune with the new girl :-) at least until after Christmas. Then go looking for a Canadian for me :-)

Old 11-24-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
We bought the horse! Vet check and if nothing critical, it's final. Very exciting and emotional.

Thanks for the comments everybody.

We are taking a break from horse shopping for a while to get in tune with the new girl :-) at least until after Christmas. Then go looking for a Canadian for me :-)
Vet checks. Seen a few. The vet is mostly concerned with covering his ass. Important to remember no horse is perfect and consider the use you'll be putting him to. What fails an Event horse might not affect a trail rider as long as he lives.

Grizz
Old 11-24-2014, 05:36 PM

Default Have you horse pre-sale checked

I have owned a couple of great horses in my time, I have owned one fantastic horse and I have owned several horrible horses. All that said my family has been in the horse business for generations. Here is my advise, just like a used car, get a good equine vet to check the horse before purchase. I recommend Gord Davis (Moore and Company) Dewinton location. Gord has saved me from expensive mistakes in the past.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:07 PM

Jesus! is Gord still practicing? He's one helluva Equine Vet
Old 11-25-2014, 07:06 AM

We know one of the owners of Moore Equine. He is coming out this week. Interestingly enough he already knows the horse.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:25 PM

And we got a horse! :-)
She is fine. Vet actually really like her. She is pretty and a charmer!

1 down, 1 to go... but after Christmas. Enough excitement for this year!

Old 02-15-2015, 09:23 AM

Looks like we found our second horse! Very excited!!

Pending a vet check, we are done shopping!