Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-09-2014, 08:39 AM

Default So... anyone doing any pre-baiting?

So... anyone doing any pre-baiting? I have a couple of coon baits out and will be starting on yotes right quick.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:18 AM

I've got about 10 coyote baits going. It's hard not hanging cable yet.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:39 AM

I never saw the reason to pre bait. your going to get them either way. To me it is a waste of time and fuel.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:45 PM

I am pretty baiting coons some guys in the states were saying that it gets the coons used to reach in a small PVC pipe to get food so you can put out your dog proofs and get them. From what I have been told about pre baiting yotes is then you have them used to coming into your preferred snaring location. Down here we don't have much bush or grass mostly cultivated flat land. So getting them into a good area to snare is important. That is the reasoning I have been told. Hey nube you should also make your own trapline post and update picks and stories love the pics and stories you post
Old 10-09-2014, 02:31 PM

Thanks Bill and I will try and do what I can. The reason I say it doesn't matter is that an area will only have so many coyotes and then you have to wait till more fill in. I found that I would catch 1-6 in a location every day. They moved in and out of the area. There would be an odd time when there would be no tracks and no catches in a day or 2 and I thought I killed everything in the area only to come back to 1-6 in the snares again the next day. I don't believe that if you kept baiting they would stick around for sure. I also think even if you fed those coyotes and they left you would still get them over the course of a month as they would be around and would wonder by eventually again ( I think but could be wrong) For me to run around and spend money on tanks of fuel just doesn't make sense. I hang my snares and dump a truckload of bait in the bush and add snares as I see fit. It seemed to work last year for me. I was amazed at an endless amount of coyotes around. I basically cought 78 on 3 main bait sites and a couple other little spots I got a few here and there. That is my thought and I am no expert. It just seems like a lot of work and money spent and I am not sure if your numbers will be all that different in the end.

Coon I think it would help and really it would not take much for that. One trip and a few bags of corn and your good for a long time lol
Old 10-09-2014, 03:01 PM

far to many bears around here to be leaving bait around. safely.

also looking forward to updates on your season nube. good luck!
Old 10-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Banned

I'll be pre-baiting for coyotes but not for another week or two. At the Rendezvous I had the opportunity to attend 5911Ryan's coyote snaring demo and I chatted with him off and on for the two days. He puts out bait stations for a couple of weeks so the yotes get used to coming in and getting a free meal. They become less cautious and their trails in are more well defined.

I have to start somewhere and I'm not going to argue with success. For me though, it's all about trying different methods this season and find out for myself what works best for me. I might put snares up as soon as I put bait out but I'll do it in a different area than my other bait piles in case I just end up educating the yotes.

Don't fellas with traplines pre-bait their martin traps?
Old 10-09-2014, 10:04 PM

Never pre-bait personally. Animals have home ranges, they'll be around when its go-time. Their first meal will be their last.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
Never pre-bait personally. Animals have home ranges, they'll be around when its go-time. Their first meal will be their last.
That's what I like about getting input from experienced Trappers and ask so many questions on here. Sometimes the manual tells you to do things differently.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
Exactly my thoughts. I may have educated a few wary coyotes but I think I caught 90% of them that came by my baits. If I didn't one day I am sure I got them the next. I don't need well defined trails to catch them. Learn to read where to place a snare and where a coyote will travel within 30-8 yards from a bait and your good to go. You'll get him eventually.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:26 AM

Default Just a question

When are snares put out and what size wire is used for the snare. Last year, thanks to this forum, I bought a very good pair of wire cutters to protect my dog if something terrible should happen.

I found yesterday that they won't cut 5/16 wire.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
When are snares put out and what size wire is used for the snare. Last year, thanks to this forum, I bought a very good pair of wire cutters to protect my dog if something terrible should happen.

oh oh , hope you didn't have a dog hung up .. I bought some $9 cutters in Princess auto that cut cable up to 1/4 pretty slick but never tried wire or cable larger .
Old 10-10-2014, 07:52 AM

Prebaiting never hurts. you can usually tie it into some other form of hunting so its not like your wasting gas and it will make the animals come. whether it increases the numbers in your area or not it should congregate them to a desired location and let them be a little more relaxed come season.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:

The season down by stettler opened Oct 1 no one in my little circle starts til nov. Most hobby guys start Dec after deer season. Carry some wire cutters as well. Also if you are going around private farm land then the land owner has to have given written permission for the use of snares. So if you are walking your dog on a farmers place ask the farmer/rancher.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Are you sure about the cable size because 5/16" cable even for trapping wolves seems pretty big to me. 3/32" is recommended for wolves.

I use 5/64" for my snares and 3/32" for my extensions. A cheap pair of $7 cutters from Peavey Mart will cut 3/32" cable but won't last long (20 cuts?) and you'll need to use more force. I have these and they cut 3/32" cable easily.

https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/eS...ACCABLECUTTERS
Old 10-10-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Are you sure about the cable size because 5/16" cable even for trapping wolves seems pretty big to me. 3/32" is recommended for wolves.

I use 5/64" for my snares and 3/32" for my extensions. A cheap pair of $7 cutters from Peavey Mart will cut 3/32" cable but won't last long (20 cuts?) and you'll need to use more force. I have these and they cut 3/32" cable easily.

https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/eS...ACCABLECUTTERS
Check out the princess auto knock offs Dave , look identical and 1/3 the price .
Old 10-10-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Check out the princess auto knock offs Dave , look identical and 1/3 the price .
The one Halford sells are the investment. I have had a pair in my snare backpack for 7 years. I use them to cut all my cable to build snares. Prebaiting is nice. I like to catch as many dogs in the first week that I set up so that I can get new dogs into the area. One of the reasons you hear coyotes howl is to see who's in the area. If you clean the old pack quick you catch rate increases.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:47 PM

Back to the original question, I fine pre-baiting to be a waste of time and unnecessary expense as you will generally accomplish the same catch per site when you start setting as a territory only holds so many animals, IMHO.

Last edited by tomcat; 10-10-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
The one Halford sells are the investment. I have had a pair in my snare backpack for 7 years. I use them to cut all my cable to build snares. Prebaiting is nice. I like to catch as many dogs in the first week that I set up so that I can get new dogs into the area. One of the reasons you hear coyotes howl is to see who's in the area. If you clean the old pack quick you catch rate increases.
I hope they are indeed better quality ,it's just the fact that with my luck I will lose the cheap pair before I wear them out ,$9 loss vs. $30 ..hmmm
Old 10-10-2014, 06:54 PM

Well since this thread seems to have changed from pre baiting coyotes to what cable cutters to use, I'll throw in that you take the cheap cutters in the field and if you build your own snares buy a pair of felco cutters for the garage or shop.
Nothing beats them that I have found
Old 10-11-2014, 02:42 PM

[QUOTE=Powder monkey;2576049]Well since this thread seems to have changed from pre baiting coyotes to what cable cutters to use, I'll throw in that you take the cheap cutters in the field and if you build your own snares buy a pair of felco cutters for the garage or shop.
Nothing beats them that I have found[/QUOTE Sorry for the derail , no I don't prebait , bait em once and catch em . looks like you get the idea on the cutters ..lol .
Old 10-11-2014, 03:09 PM
Banned

In areas with grizzlies there is no pre baiting until Nov 16
Old 10-11-2014, 03:32 PM

I had a question, on a quarter section, that's about 70% bush. How many bait piles should a guy make?
Old 10-11-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmur View Post
I had a question, on a quarter section, that's about 70% bush. How many bait piles should a guy make?
One should be sufficient IMO.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:57 AM

Any thoughts on dumping a few gallons of fryer grease? Is the odor to foreign? Bears sure like it
Old 10-21-2014, 10:08 AM
Banned

Give it a try, set up a trail cam and see how it works.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Give it a try, set up a trail cam and see how it works.
I am reluctant to do a test as i dont want to taint the location.

I am picking up a trailer load of bait this afternoon so it's not that important.