Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-06-2014, 10:32 PM
Banned

Default Damaged Muskrat Pelts?

I took the last 20 or so of my Spring muskrat pelts out of the freezer to flesh and board and I noticed numerous with holes in them maybe 1/2" to 1" long. They must have been the last ones that I caught before quitting.
The pelts themselves are nice other than that. I'm wondering what they'd be worth to turn in for trim or whatever. If they aren't worth anything I might try my hand at tanning them for my own use.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I took the last 20 or so of my Spring muskrat pelts out of the freezer to flesh and board and I noticed numerous with holes in them maybe 1/2" to 1" long. They must have been the last ones that I caught before quitting.
The pelts themselves are nice other than that. I'm wondering what they'd be worth to turn in for trim or whatever. If they aren't worth anything I might try my hand at tanning them for my own use.
Hey Dave guess that would depend on how many holes are in them,and size of rat,they do cut and repair holes in their rats after tanning,I also have a few like that,i pinned the holes closed and they didn't look to bad,but your right good opportunity to practice,hope that helped.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:58 AM

Those rats a guy might be better off selling local. Don't flesh them too hard round the bite marks. Pin them closed and cover the holes with a thin layer of membrane. Once it drys it's hard to see the marks.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
Those rats a guy might be better off selling local. Don't flesh them too hard round the bite marks. Pin them closed and cover the holes with a thin layer of membrane. Once it drys it's hard to see the marks.
Thanks Coy, I'm fleshing them shortly. I'm using wire hangers so I'll do what I can do with the holes. If there are only a few rats like that I may sew them.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:02 AM
AO Sponsor

Try not to over think your rats, just put them up and send them in. The rat grade is very easy these years compared to past years. Don't overflesh bitten rats. It used to be damaged rats brought $0.75 but they bring fair coin these days.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Try not to over think your rats, just put them up and send them in. The rat grade is very easy these years compared to past years. Don't overflesh bitten rats. It used to be damaged rats brought $0.75 but they bring fair coin these days.
x2 dont waste your time sewing or anything put them up and ship them youd be surprised at what youll get for some
Old 10-08-2014, 11:46 AM
Banned

Thanks fellas! I only ended up with 39 Spring rats. I put one in the bait pile because it was really bad. Everything is going in as is and I'll get what I get. I'm putting them in separately from my Fall rats so I'll know exactly which ones were the Spring rats. I'll resurrect this thread and post up what I got for them once I know so it'll come up for anyone with the same question doing a search.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Try not to over think your rats, just put them up and send them in.
Yeah, I definitely have a habit of over thinking things.....lol!

Someone please have a fur handling workshop in the area.