Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-09-2010, 05:19 PM

Default Where's the fish?

I guess this is a fishing report for Pigeon. I was out there from 9:30 to 2:00 and saw 3 fish on my camera. Drilled about 10 holes and tried a variety of tackle and presentations--nothing came to the hook. All three of the fish I saw were whitefish and were swimming 1/2 way up the water column indicating to me they were not interested in eating. Disappointed again. By the way I was in the Grandview area. BEL
Old 12-09-2010, 05:21 PM

did you try jigging right under the ice 5-10 inches below it?
Old 12-09-2010, 05:46 PM

Just because the whitefish were halfway up the water column certainly does not mean they weren't interested in feeding. Adjusting your depth accordingly could have led to different results
Old 12-09-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL View Post
I guess this is a fishing report for Pigeon. I was out there from 9:30 to 2:00 and saw 3 fish on my camera. Drilled about 10 holes and tried a variety of tackle and presentations--nothing came to the hook. All three of the fish I saw were whitefish and were swimming 1/2 way up the water column indicating to me they were not interested in eating. Disappointed again. By the way I was in the Grandview area. BEL
The whites are scared of the camera.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:04 PM

Wink Fish Location

A very old wise native elder whispered in my ear that the fish are:

In the water.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:37 PM

Default Been there done that.

I tried depths from 2 feet to about 15. I tried presentations from top to bottom. Basically the fish were elsewhere. My experience on Sylvan tells me that when fish are 1\2 up they are not usually interested. As far as the camera is concerned, I agree that whites do not like them. I use a camera to find fish, leave the hole for 5 to 10 minutes then return. I will have to continue my search. BEL
Old 12-09-2010, 11:44 PM

I have no experiende with whites at Sylvan but during the whitefish haydays at Wabamun they were always halfway up the water column in anywhere from 5 to 15 fow and bit like crazy at that depth.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:03 AM

Bel,

When the whites are off the bottom, I change my presentation from a wireworm to a teardrop or Wetaskawin special and let it drop from the hole to 1/3 or so of the way down. Let sit and repeat. Seems to work.

Cheers.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:42 AM

I can't remember the last time I caught a white in Sylvan Lake which wasn't close to the bottom. Not to say it doesn't happen. About 10 years ago when I fished Gull regularly you could quite often catch them just under the ice in 6 to 8 feet of water. Based on that experience, when I fish for them, I start my presentations from the ice down and vice versa. Now, from what I understand about whites, they normally live in deeper water like 25 feet (this is where the commercial fishermen target on Pigeon) and move to the shallows to feed but will feed somewhere out where they reside for most of the day. Question for you hardcore whitefish hunters, where do you target them? Do you fish like I do--start under the ice and work down? What depth is good for you? BEL
Old 12-10-2010, 09:49 AM

All depends on time of year. Right now if you can get out they are just finishing up the spawn. Although likely over in most lakes, they are spawning on hard sandy type bottoms in 5-8 FOW. In a couple of weeks, they will be mostly in deeper water until the burbs spawn in spring.