Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-08-2010, 09:03 AM

Default Tipup frustration

Unanticipated day off today so I reckon I'll gear up the rods and supplies for next trip out. Got a few questions for y'all so I may start a few threads.
I am still relatively new to fishing (4th year - guess I'm not that new), but only 2nd year icefishing so still much to learn.

Firstly, tipups - generally I set one up and fish with rod in hand as my other line. Anyways, I can't seem to catch a fish on my tipup, dunno why as I seem to do fine with my rod.
My question is are tipups generally used primarily for larger fish like whopper Gators and lake trout or can they be effective when fishing for trout/walleye/perch? I can see a tipup being a bit much for the perchies but it bewilders me why I can't land a trout or walter on mine. I set up the same presentation as I do my rod but get no hits. What am I doing wrong. Am I wasting my time using a tipup for trout/walleye because I'm getting awfully tempted to just roll with 2 rods instead.
Any info would be much appreciated.
Cheers n GL all!
Old 12-08-2010, 09:20 AM

Could be the line you use? I find my buddies home made windless work realy well, the slightest wind and its bobbing a little for that jigging motion. Remember Walleye, perch, and whites bite realy light and will often spit the hook out if they feel resistance. Maybe you need a free running real?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:27 AM

What line you have on tip up compared to rod?
Most people use tip ups for gators and r usually spooled with heavy braided line . ..
Since trout and eyes can be a bit finicky that might be a reason.
Light biting might not release the flag either and you might not notice the hits.
I use small slip bobbers on everything,notice even the smallest hits.....heck I'm starting to use slip bobbers more for pike too cause it's more fun than bringing em in by hand.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Could be the line you use? I find my buddies home made windless work realy well, the slightest wind and its bobbing a little for that jigging motion. Remember Walleye, perch, and whites bite realy light and will often spit the hook out if they feel resistance. Maybe you need a free running real?
Yes, got some oldschool homemade tipups recently handed down from Gpa that may give me that wind bobbing action in the water. (Haven't tried them yet.) He only used them for pike as I can tell because the line he has on them is thicker than kite string lol.
I've been using a store bought tipup, still with the thicker black line it comes with, then (say I'm fishing for trout) I tie that line to a swivel, then add about 12-16 inches of mono (same line I use on my winter rod) and then my lil jig with bait of choice attached at the end but no results...yet.
The more I think about it the more the natural wind bobbing action sounds like a good idea as it will at least create some action in the water.
Cheers n thanx!
Old 12-08-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
What line you have on tip up compared to rod?
Most people use tip ups for gators and r usually spooled with heavy braided line . ..
Since trout and eyes can be a bit finicky that might be a reason.
Light biting might not release the flag either and you might not notice the hits.
I use small slip bobbers on everything,notice even the smallest hits.....heck I'm starting to use slip bobbers more for pike too cause it's more fun than bringing em in by hand.
Perhaps I am missing the bites but don't think so as bait is still attached when I bring my line up. I agree probably not the best route to go when fishing for trout or walleye.
Slip bobbers eh...hmmm, sounds interesting, good idea, I'll give that a try too!
Thanx for the tips
Old 12-08-2010, 10:18 AM

Madatter summed it up pretty well. I don't think the tip is the best option for the walleye. Can be OK for trout but they can spit out the hook so fast, not worth it. A better dead option for trout and walleye is another rod just set still and jig with the other. And yeah a bobber is a good idea. I do that as well.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Madatter summed it up pretty well. I don't think the tip is the best option for the walleye. Can be OK for trout but they can spit out the hook so fast, not worth it. A better dead option for trout and walleye is another rod just set still and jig with the other. And yeah a bobber is a good idea. I do that as well.
Yeah I think that sounds like a good idea.
Fishies beware, better prepared and that much wiser now, I'm a coming to getcha!
Thanx guys
Old 12-08-2010, 02:10 PM

I've caught walleye on a tip-up more than once. I suggest having about 8 or 10 feet of 8 lb mono on it.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
I've caught walleye on a tip-up more than once. I suggest having about 8 or 10 feet of 8 lb mono on it.
Ya I think next trip out to the Snake or Newell I'll give it a shot and see what happens, I'll try your tip. Thanx.
For now I'm kinda on a Brookie mission so I'm gonna invest in another rod and go with 2 rods as suggested.
Cheers n GL!
Old 12-08-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Try using a lindy rig, something a walleye isn't gonna feel any weight when he mouth's the bait. Works well for all species of trout also. If your gonna use the tipup for any species other than pike, I would respool completely with mono. Don't use a leader.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Try using a lindy rig, something a walleye isn't gonna feel any weight when he mouth's the bait. Works well for all species of trout also. If your gonna use the tipup for any species other than pike, I would respool completely with mono. Don't use a leader.
Ya not a fan of leaders. I only use them for pike and even then I often go without. No issues yet. I've never had a pike cut my line EVER (knock on wood) including the 3.5 and 4+ footers I managed outta the SSR last spring. However, had I been targeting those lunkers, I woulda had a leader on for sure. I was after sturg that day
Lindy rig is a option I may explore when targeting walleye.
Cheers
Old 12-08-2010, 10:15 PM

I gave up on tipups, only managed to land one fish on them last winter. I use a second rod instead and have already caught more fish on it than a tipup, but I dont fish for trout much, usually have it set up for pike, with a big baitcaster reel and 80 pound powerpro. Make sure you have a good rodholder, like the rodlockers that lock the rod and wont fit down most holes. The setup Nice Mustang uses looks like it would be great for those trout and walleye too, sets the hook even if you arent paying attention.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-09-2010, 03:53 PM

Tipups are absolutely DEADLY when rigged correctly. They're always in the water, there's no movement or disturbance around them, and if a fish hits, runs, and drops you know it (unlike with a slipbob on a rod).

Walleye and trout will spit baits quickly if they feel that something's not right. You need to rig a mono or fluoro leader, and you need to make sure that they can't feel any tension when they pick up the bait.

For trout I like to bury a hook in the bait and rig it on 3' of 4# or 6# leader. Put a split shot at the top of the leader and set the tipup as light as you possibly can. Set the hook by lifting the tipup by the part that holds the flag down. If you lift out the tipup and try to hand set, they'll usually drop it.

If you're catching to keep, just let 'em swallow it good.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:24 PM

a little trick i have used on tip up is use a bobber that barely floats your bait and giv 4 feet of slack in the hole. not only do fish hardly feel resistance. but when you find the depth the bite is happening its easier to re bait and get back to fishing. i use this method for all species. and you can take large perch on the rig set for walleyes.

good luck to you out there.