Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-14-2017, 07:07 AM
Banned

Default 6:30 A.M. Any Saturday in June

6:30 A.M. MDT. We’ve been in the boat for half an hour and the sun is trying, and failing, to burn the mist off the water. Failing because it is still in Kamsack, Saskatchewan.

50 boats, 100 anglers. One hundred men, women and the odd child sitting calmly albeit with a racing heart and a knot in their stomachs thinking of a live well full of 6 pounders – or more – and a stack of day money awaiting them at the end of the day.

Fifty boats circling, reversing, tiny adjustments to the helm. Whiffs of the blue smoke of burned oil; ravening boats seeking the ideal spot to gain an edge and waiting for the horn to blow at 7:00 and the heart stopping mind blowing surge of power as roughly 10,000 horse power roars to life.

Dozens of rods, reels, bait pails and lure boxes all primed and ready for the task at hand. Tensions mounting as hulls of every color circle closer and closer to each other. Grim early morning faces sipping lukewarm coffee, a brief nod to an acquaintance then back to the reverie, mentally checking lists of waypoints and a hundred other things and questioning the logic of your choice for the first hotspot.

Then BANG. Eric church hollering Bong! Bong! Bong! Bong! "Creeping" with guitars shrieking and drums beating – rocking the joint!!! Coming from my partner’s MP3 connection to the best boat stereo money can buy.

My favorite fishing story.

How do you feel about music in the boat? I love it.

Free
Old 01-14-2017, 08:55 AM

I don't mind music in the boat, but I still like to have a conversation.
I don't need to hear somebody's thump thump thump garbage music from a 1/2 mile away, thats when its a pain in the ass.
Needs to be more noise bylaw enforcement on this. Pretty sad, sitting on the balcony by the lake and you can't hear the people your with, talking.
JMO
Old 01-14-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
6:30 A.M. MDT. We’ve been in the boat for half an hour and the sun is trying, and failing, to burn the mist off the water. Failing because it is still in Kamsack, Saskatchewan.

50 boats, 100 anglers. One hundred men, women and the odd child sitting calmly albeit with a racing heart and a knot in their stomachs thinking of a live well full of 6 pounders – or more – and a stack of day money awaiting them at the end of the day.

Fifty boats circling, reversing, tiny adjustments to the helm. Whiffs of the blue smoke of burned oil; ravening boats seeking the ideal spot to gain an edge and waiting for the horn to blow at 7:00 and the heart stopping mind blowing surge of power as roughly 10,000 horse power roars to life.

Dozens of rods, reels, bait pails and lure boxes all primed and ready for the task at hand. Tensions mounting as hulls of every color circle closer and closer to each other. Grim early morning faces sipping lukewarm coffee, a brief nod to an acquaintance then back to the reverie, mentally checking lists of waypoints and a hundred other things and questioning the logic of your choice for the first hotspot.

Then BANG. Eric church hollering Bong! Bong! Bong! Bong! "Creeping" with guitars shrieking and drums beating – rocking the joint!!! Coming from my partner’s MP3 connection to the best boat stereo money can buy.

My favorite fishing story.

How do you feel about music in the boat? I love it.

Free
I like music in the boat salmon fishing. I am constantly correct spend and direction and checking baits. Nice music then versus motor drone is my preference. Sitting in my float tube in the mountains...I like quiet.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-14-2017, 08:58 AM

Can't think about that nonsense right now; I'm busy rocking out to the sound of my auger burnin' & & churnin' bud!
Old 01-14-2017, 09:48 AM

Eric church....yuck. Let me guess it sounds the best in white sunglasses (polarized for fishing of course), and a flatbrim monster energy hat. Lol
Old 01-14-2017, 10:01 AM

If I am going to listen to music while fishing I listen to music like Led Zeppelin, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Bob Seger, Moist, Matthew Good etc.

Last edited by JohninAB; 01-14-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:11 AM

Personally, I like quiet in the boat. Mostly fishing is a great relaxer for me unless I have my grand children with me. Then you could have music blaring away and it would never be heard over the sounds of the kids squealin away.
By the way whereabouts would the OP find enough water in Kamsack Sask to have 50 boats in the water at one time, surely not in the Assiniboine River. All the times I been over it, it looks like a non running slough, mud hole creek.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:16 AM

My boat is a 12' tinner circa 1961. Must have been a base unit as there is no stereo.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:01 AM

I prefer to talk with my fishing partner. Second choice is enjoying some quiet time.

If I want to listen to music, I go with the assumption that the other people on the lake don't want to listen to my music as well.
Until I can get one of these installed on my boat, I'll listen to music with my earphones.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
I prefer to talk with my fishing partner. Second choice is enjoying some quiet time.

If I want to listen to music, I go with the assumption that the other people on the lake don't want to listen to my music as well.
Until I can get one of these installed on my boat, I'll listen to music with my earphones.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!

And thank you.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:42 AM

For me, fishing is all about the quiet solitude with nature. Maybe that's why I prefer fly fishing.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:59 AM

The whole idea of fishing imo is the get away from the normal daily auditory assaults.. So, to be out on the water and focus on whats to be heard out there and relax. Crap I miss the open water.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:00 PM

Agreed. You want to have music in your boat then fine, but keep it to a level that the rest of great outdoors isn't forced to hear it as well.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:28 AM
Banned

Default Lighten up

For the benefit of the alphabetically challenged, there was nobody fishing during this moment in time. And we were more than 1000kms from Kamsack.

Most of you fellas would be upset with 150 boats invading your personal water space for a few days per year and anything that is outside of your comfort zone would be a liberal wing- nut performance at best.

Not one word was said about that early morning wake-up call by any of the participants of that tournament nor was there a private balcony within 5 miles of that harbour. Only this group would take a fun story and turn it into your opportunity to crap in somebody's cornflakes.

Sorry I mentioned it.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
For the benefit of the alphabetically challenged, there was nobody fishing during this moment in time. And we were more than 1000kms from Kamsack.

Most of you fellas would be upset with 150 boats invading your personal water space for a few days per year and anything that is outside of your comfort zone would be a liberal wing- nut performance at best.

Not one word was said about that early morning wake-up call by any of the participants of that tournament nor was there a private balcony within 5 miles of that harbour. Only this group would take a fun story and turn it into your opportunity to crap in somebody's cornflakes.

Sorry I mentioned it.
You asked the question about music in the boat, you got your replies.....
Old 01-15-2017, 11:48 AM
Banned

It was a good story

Right up until the line of the best boat stereo money could buy.

As for the question

No F'ing way.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdad013 View Post
You asked the question about music in the boat, you got your replies.....
Exactly!