Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-10-2017, 05:50 PM

Default magnum results

Started using new Senneker magnum springs and they are just starting to connect and Im impressed. They make it hard to make a pretty loop with the extra weight but if you catch them anywhere on the neck they go down hard and fast! Well done Marty again

Last edited by admin; 02-07-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:42 PM

Gotta agree , I too have tried some magnums and am impressed with the results , including this one from today . Very little struggle.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2017, 08:45 PM

Last weeks wolf i got I think I could have reused the cable lol
Old 01-10-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Last weeks wolf i got I think I could have reused the cable lol
What's your go to cable, lock and extension or snare length for wolves when using the magnums?
Old 01-10-2017, 10:02 PM

I think the best is 3/32. 10 feet long. Camlock with teeth. I also like 5/64 with 3/32 camlock with teeth combo if you want lighter cable
Old 01-10-2017, 10:48 PM

They do work when used properly.
1/16 cable, Magnum spring and lightning lock.
5' snare with swiveled 6' 1/8" ext cable anchored low and solid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yote.JPG (173.7 KB, 264 views)

Old 01-11-2017, 06:43 AM

Man I wish sask would class them as a power snare.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:58 AM
Banned

What is the added force for the magnums? I think the old stingers is 50#, something like that?
Old 01-11-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
What is the added force for the magnums? I think the old stingers is 50#, something like that?
I don't think it's as much about the added force Dave as it is about the larger size... takes up more cable than the smaller ones... pulls the loop tighter.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by APAShooter View Post
I don't think it's as much about the added force Dave as it is about the larger size... takes up more cable than the smaller ones... pulls the loop tighter.
Thanks. That makes sense I guess. The same amount of force but 1/2"(?) more cable pulled.

Maybe Marty will drop by to clarify.

The reviews have definitely perked my interest.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:18 PM

"Be also aware that the Magnum Stinger Kill Spring TM is a much stronger device than the standard Stinger"
Wow! I actually did that...
Above statement from Marty's site

Old 01-11-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Thanks. That makes sense I guess. The same amount of force but 1/2"(?) more cable pulled.

Maybe Marty will drop by to clarify.

The reviews have definitely perked my interest.
Mine as well... of course i own a few hundred dollars worth of the standard springs and triggers...
Old 01-11-2017, 03:11 PM

The only thing about the system i don't like is i can't seem to get the spring from hanging down. I also find they twist up easily and my loop is all screwed up at times. It might be the way I make them and have messed around a bit but still can't seem to get things perfect. Other than that they work well when the spring fires. I have had a bunch that havn't fired but I think it is the way I had the trigger. I think the Trigger needs to be put on last and against the ferule at the end. I'm still messing with the system to see if I can get it working just right for me. All I know is when it works the way it should you can't beat it
Old 01-11-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
The only thing about the system i don't like is i can't seem to get the spring from hanging down. I also find they twist up easily and my loop is all screwed up at times. It might be the way I make them and have messed around a bit but still can't seem to get things perfect. Other than that they work well when the spring fires. I have had a bunch that havn't fired but I think it is the way I had the trigger. I think the Trigger needs to be put on last and against the ferule at the end. I'm still messing with the system to see if I can get it working just right for me. All I know is when it works the way it should you can't beat it

Hey Nube,
My understanding is that the kill spring goes on this way. As you mentioned against the ferrel. Correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2017, 05:37 PM

I would try it that way. I had mine the other way around and some don't trigger that way for some reason.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdec View Post
Hey Nube,
My understanding is that the kill spring goes on this way. As you mentioned against the ferrel. Correct?

Directions are right on the package...1/16 and 5/64 are different than the 3/32

Old 01-11-2017, 05:48 PM

I made mine as Marty showed me on Youtube. Not really sure if its the best though and will move the trigger to the end. Hopefully Marty will let us know the pros and cons of doing it both ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_so7B8lEwg

I have had the smaller stinger springs not fire at times as well but don't remember which way I had those.
Nothings perfect but I would rather have them on there than not.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:16 PM

Nube I ran some of the first release of magnums a couple years ago and the trigger tip has to be set on the wire end side of the spring eye. Maybe that's how you're setting them but thought I'd let you know. Over the top or on the arm side they don't fire reliably.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:26 PM
Banned

Here ya go fellas:

http://martysenneker.com
Old 01-11-2017, 11:49 PM

yesh they just dont make a pretty loop but from what im seeing so far im okay with that until i maybe figure them out better that way. no trouble with firing so far and i build them senneker style with the trigger on the inside
Old 01-22-2017, 08:30 AM

Default magnum springs

Gave an honest effort with these magnum springs and all I can say is WOW!, I use a 9 foot lengh of 1 x 19 3/32 cable with a 1/8 toothed camlock.The best part of using these springs is the ground where the yodie is caught is not all trampled and disturbed.Caught 3 in the last 2 weeks on same trail and another snare hanging now.Was a firm believer in the 7 x 7 cable for extra strength but hard to beat that perfect loop when using 1 x 19 and spring!.Thinking of setting up trail cam on video mode and see these do their thing!
Old 01-22-2017, 12:33 PM

I may be wrong but I was told the 1x19 cable is stronger..anyone know for sure ?

Old 01-22-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
I may be wrong but I was told the 1x19 cable is stronger..anyone know for sure ?

I believe you are right ..far as i know 1x19 has a higher break strength and stiffer of course so it is easier to load then 7x7
Old 01-22-2017, 09:59 PM

Yes, the 1x19 has about 20% more strength than a 7x7 of the same size.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:11 AM
AO Sponsor

Loops slightly elongated? Don't forget to give the cable a sharp bend at the s-hook. After compressing and setting the trigger, turn the spring so that it is away from the lock and parallel to the loop, then give the cable a good bend and you have a very decent loop. Is it perfectly round? No, but who cares. I hate true elongated loops like you get with some lock/spring combos, but that is not the case with the Stinger.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:50 PM

I'm very impressed with the magnums. I ran Cheaper knockoffs for the season but the magnums are second to none. I like mine setup with the trigger hook towards the spring. Never had a no fire. Had plenty off snares that I was able to reuse. Just cut the crimp at s hook and recrimp. Even had them fire on rabbits.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:32 AM
AO Sponsor

Awesome! An endorsement by the top Hutterian trapper in all the lands! Thanks!

I think we should discuss trigger position again, but whenI have more time.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Awesome! An endorsement by the top Hutterian trapper in all the lands! Thanks!

I think we should discuss trigger position again, but whenI have more time.
Working great for me as well...Marty just wondering why the trigger placement recommendation is different for the various size of cable?
Old 02-07-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Working great for me as well...Marty just wondering why the trigger placement recommendation is different for the various size of cable?
i put the trigger on last before the stop. it points toward the BAD, all my catches have fired the trigger. even the 18 fox i got last year (16 from one bait site)
Old 02-08-2017, 10:39 PM
AO Sponsor

I always run the trigger pointing away from the snare, away from the lock. However, I always use magnums, except in special circumstances. Magnums with 1/16" and 5/64" have no stop interference due to the extra large eyelet. My coyotes are firing the system dependably, as well, most fox fire except those that entangle immediately and are put out before they even have much opportunity to fight the snare. I seem to catch about 2 jackrabbits a year and they Fire the system regularly. With 3/32" cable, the stops are usually very large and will cause interference if the tip of the trigger is pressing against the very large stop button.

With the standard/original Stinger, due to the smaller eyelet, it had a benefit to position your trigger so that it pointed towards the loop/lock due to the tip of the trigger occasionally being held closed longer. However, I most always ran the system with the trigger pointing away from the lock/loop, and found it was rare to have trouble, but occasionally springs would be unfired, but an insignificant amount of time.

Notation should be made that I always anchor low, never high, though it is beneficial for snare lock position on your captured animal to be centred at the back of the neck, I find it to have much more benefit to allow the device to fire positively with the low solid anchor and have a magnum spring killed animal in short order.