Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-31-2016, 06:31 PM

Exclamation New arrows

So I bought myself a new compound bow.(Pse surge) just wondering what would be the ideal set up for penetrating through bone. I will probably have 2 arrows set up.
One for elk, bear, etc
One for Mulies and whitetails

Thanks in advance all
Old 12-31-2016, 09:03 PM

I never plan on penetrating through bone...why? Because I do my best to place a shot where no "big bone" exists.

No arrow or broadhead is really designed to penetrate bone consistantly.

It's best to focus more on a setup that sends the truest flying arrow/broadhead combo possible.

Then you don't have to worry about a "bone penetrating" setup.

Most setups will take down anything in North America, no need for a two arrow setup....are you planning on running two different sights and rests? Because once you start tuning a bow and dialing it in, a two arrow setup becomes an undesirable venture.

LC
Old 12-31-2016, 09:21 PM

Sounds like you need some Barnes X Arrows.....
All kidding aside, I'm with Lefty. It's not like you're trying to make sure you "got enough gun" for the game. Arrows kill by haemmoraging major arteries and organs. Most sharp broadheads will slip through or snap ribs when shot out of a legal bow. If you are hitting shoulder blades on elk it might not workout so well, even if you are pulling a hernia inducing 80 pounds.

If price is no object I would look at Easton Axis or FMJ. If you want to shoot something fast and tough check out Carbon Express Blue Streaks. I prefer Gold Tips myself because that's what I can get locally. Make sure the arrows are properly spined for your set up.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:11 PM

Nothing left to say. The advice given above is all you need.
Lock the thread before someone says something ridiculous!
Old 01-01-2017, 12:54 PM

Big bones stop bullets. Don't shoot into them.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:13 AM

one guy I talk too said he was running 850 grain arrows for all his hunting purposes... I asked him why so heavy he said so I could shoot through the bone ... ok well with that weight you will lose in distance he continued to tell me no and he has less drop then a lighter arrow ... I said ok and thinking to my self that he is full of it.... it up to you but like lefty said place your arrow in the right spot and there is no bone there and there for no need for that heavy of arrow ... on the heavy side for me would be the fmj or pile drivers... lighter side is the blue rz or even the white tail special from carbon express... me personally like it in the middle around 380 grain arrow and that is good for moose to rabbits ... one arrow is better then two different
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 01-03-2017, 11:46 AM

I shoot the Easton bloodlines with 100gr tips and blazer vanes, cut to 27.5 inches they weigh in at 390 grains. I have a 28" draw and with my bow maxed out at 73 pounds I'm getting 290fps. I don't shoot it maxed out, at 65-67 pounds I'm getting about 278fps. I trust these to hunt anything in Alberta.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORVIS View Post
So I bought myself a new compound bow.(Pse surge) just wondering what would be the ideal set up for penetrating through bone. I will probably have 2 arrows set up.
One for elk, bear, etc
One for Mulies and whitetails

Thanks in advance all
Orvis, as previously mentioned - no need for 2 separate arrows dependant upon game you're hunting. Choose an arrow that you like (either for speed needs or weight needs) and put it in the right place.

I used to shoot sub-400 grain arrows wanting speed (and I got it with the trade off of a louder bow) but now I shoot 525 grain arrows and have a much quieter bow. My range is still more than sufficient for hunting and my range estimation errors are greater, but then again I now own a laser rangefinder and use it quite a bit prior to the game coming in - rarely get surprised anymore.

Even with the 395 grain arrow I used to shoot, they still brought down a 5x5 Bull Elk because it went through the boiler room and stuck in the offside shoulder blade. Those same 395 arrows zipped through everything else (deer, rabbits, gophers). The "new" 525's will zip through anything as well - I just need to do my part and put them in the correct spot. And I use the 525 Easton FMJ's for 3D / target / hunting....

J.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:35 PM

Default Heavy arrows

Most heavy arrow set ups are for those of us shooting traditional bows. We use high FOC to get through bone when shots don't go as planned and that can happen to anyone. Best to use heavy arrows for close shots although once the pins are set up and you've practised I guess they'd work ok at longer distances. Best Ida with the accuracy of a wheelie bow is estimate range well and put the arrow where it's supposed to go, don't take iffy shots and you'll be fine.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:03 PM

Victory VAP I use the .188
Old 01-03-2017, 03:43 PM

The victory vap is a amazing arrow ! So are the blood lines and they shoot very very similar to each other. The vap you might need to dig a little deeper into your pocket.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Nothing left to say. The advice given above is all you need.
Lock the thread before someone says something ridiculous!
like you .....
Old 01-09-2017, 10:10 PM

Another nod for the Victory VAP's...I shoot the Low torque TKO's these small diameter arrows are super accurate and penetrate like crazy.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:04 PM

A buddy of mine shoots the victory VAP. Not only will you have to dig deeper in your pocket, you'll have to dig deeper in the targets too. He shoots them into 3-d targets almost all the way to the fletching. And that's on deer sized targets.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
like you .....
Hahahaha. Forgive me for the error of my ways. We should always be encouraging things to get out of hand. That's when this forum gets entertaining lol