Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-04-2016, 09:54 PM

Question Out of country PAL references

So I'm in the process of applying for my PAL/RPAL. Both of my references live outside of Canada as I've known no one over here for the required 3 years yet. The only problem is that my application form requires both of their signatures, which I can't exactly get.

I was thinking of scanning and faxing back forms and forth, but neither of them are really that tech savvy

I was thinking of just sending it in regardless, however I do know firsthand how bureaucrats operate.

Best course of action here?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2016, 11:03 PM

Default PAL app

If every line is not filled in correctly and every questioned answered the application will not be processed. It will be sent back to you. There is no partially filling it out and hoping they will approve it.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:42 AM

Mail each one of them the form individually? Shouldn't cost TOO much to send a letter to a couple places in the world and back.

I doubt they will even accept anything but original signatures.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:43 AM

Maybe ask a co-worker, or a neighbor. I would try my best to get a Canadian citizen to sign, just would make it alot easier.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:51 AM

I appreciate your dilemma but IMO our country does need to ensure new Canadians are adequately screened and evaluated prior to being licensed to purchase firearms. Frankly I am somewhat surprised that our authorities will accept a reference from someone who is a non Canadian living out of the country.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukesArcher View Post
So I'm in the process of applying for my PAL/RPAL. Both of my references live outside of Canada as I've known no one over here for the required 3 years yet. The only problem is that my application form requires both of their signatures, which I can't exactly get.

I was thinking of scanning and faxing back forms and forth, but neither of them are really that tech savvy

I was thinking of just sending it in regardless, however I do know firsthand how bureaucrats operate.

Best course of action here?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
I appreciate your dilemma but IMO our country does need to ensure new Canadians are adequately screened and evaluated prior to being licensed to purchase firearms. Frankly I am somewhat surprised that our authorities will accept a reference from someone who is a non Canadian living out of the country.
If the RCMP cannot contact your references your application will be denied. The time difference between Alberta and GMT is -7 hours. The RCMP will attempt to make contact with your references within their normal working hours. You've been a member on the forum since 2014? Gotta be close to knowing people here for 3 years?
Old 12-05-2016, 10:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Makes a lot of sense, agreed.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:06 AM

I went threw the same thing when I first emigrated to Canada, now 18 years ago, I did not know a sole, when I first arrived, was told any references, would be checked threw Interpol, and that was low priority right now, ( different time, not so long after the polytechnic incident in Quebec.)
I ended up having to wait until work mates, had know me for the required time period,
Old 12-05-2016, 12:27 PM

This is one of those cases where you really need to contact the authorities rather than rely on advice from the likes of us.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Quote:
Damn straight. Everyone knows that 100% of Canadians are trustworthy and would never lie. Everyone also knows that anyone who is not Canadian can't be trusted at all.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:41 PM

When I was getting my Pal, I moved to Alberta less 1 year and all my friends are living in Vancouver. I asked my friend to fill ot iut and scan and send to me. One of them took a pic and emailed to me. They bothe worked.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:02 PM

I spoke to a few people and got a lot of conflicting information. I'm just going to tick all my boxes and wait until I have the required signatures. Sending in my UK FAC to backup my police back ground check too.

They'll take away your licence if you get a speeding ticket back home, so hopefully that may add a little weight in proving I'm not some criminal

No rush whatsoever though, and it's more for a job than anything else. More of an archery guy than a gun guy, but I just want it all sorted ASAP for peace of mind.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglefisher View Post
Damn straight. Everyone knows that 100% of Canadians are trustworthy and would never lie. Everyone also knows that anyone who is not Canadian can't be trusted at all.

Far, far more strict in the UK regarding who gets guns ect. No way could I ever use my family members as references.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henzo45` View Post
When I was getting my Pal, I moved to Alberta less 1 year and all my friends are living in Vancouver. I asked my friend to fill ot iut and scan and send to me. One of them took a pic and emailed to me. They bothe worked.
If I understand correctly you moved from BC to AB which means you were a Canadian citizen at the time of application. This is a very different situation than the one referred to above.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:06 PM

The poster didnt mention he is from other country.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
In previous threads he mentioned this.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=223008
Old 12-06-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I think most would gather that he is from another country given his statement "Both of my references live outside of Canada as I've known no one over here for the required 3 years yet." He hasn't known anyone in Canada for three years. He would have to have been raised by wolves and just come back to human society if he was from here.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:28 PM

Yeah I'm British.

Needing the PAL for work, otherwise I'm not sure I'd bother until I could use Canadian references as it's a bit of a pain.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:13 PM
Banned

They won't accept out of country references for a very good reason.
If you as a Canadian do lie in your reference you can be held accountable.
A foreigner can say the person they are supplying a reference for is a great, upstanding human being knowing full well they are just short of being an axe murderer because there will be little the authorities could do if a crime is comitted.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
A foreigner can say the person they are supplying a reference for is a great, upstanding human being knowing full well they are just short of being an axe murderer because there will be little the authorities could do if a crime is comitted.
Non-Canadians certainly can be used as references; see, for example, the section on "Obtaining a PAL" on this website.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
What are you on about? They said I could use my mother and father, should I wish.

And I can not quite understand your last paragraph.....
Old 12-06-2016, 11:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post