Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-01-2016, 05:49 PM

Default Regular or brushless bore cleaner, any advice!?!

What is your common practice when it comes to cleaning your rifle bores?
Do you clean the same way every time, or switch it up and use something different for a deep clean occasionally? Your feedback would be appreciated?
Old 12-02-2016, 10:00 AM

I use Wipeout. It's brushless and easy. It will clean all but the worst bores, in which case you would need to try a cleaner intended for your specific fouling.

Sometimes after hunting in humid weather I'll run a patch of CLP through instead of a full Wipeout, but routine application of the Wipeout will cover most use cases.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:39 AM

Patch after patch after patch after patch after patch.....

I use Wipeout also.......but I tell ya after patching out the wipeout I like to use a nylon brush to get all of it out. Wipeout is good but...following up with a nylon brush and clp patches, gets it all.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:42 AM

I use Butches Bore Shine to remove carbon fouling, and KG-12 to remove copper fouling. I use brushes only when I feel it's necessary, as with my 17Fireball that suffers from significant carbon fouling.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:43 PM

I would like to try some of this kg-12 does anyone know where I can get some in the Edmonton area?
Old 12-02-2016, 05:57 PM

I use Amzoil , Wipeout and G86 in that order with patches
When at the range I use Amzoil engine cleaner or Mercuru Quicksilver Power Tune
Cat
Old 12-02-2016, 06:05 PM
Banned

I first address powder fouling with Hoppe's #9. Then get after copper fouling with Wipeout or Barnes CR10 or Montana Extreme. Once cleaning is completed, an application of G96.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I use Amzoil , Wipeout and G86 in that order with patches
When at the range I use Amzoil engine cleaner or Mercuru Quicksilver Power Tune
Cat
What is this G86? Is it cheaper than G96?
Old 12-02-2016, 06:09 PM
Banned

Is it necessary to run an oily patch down the barrel once clean?
Old 12-02-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
I've been sold several times, not to use oil in the bore, as it causes grime build up! Maybe someone else can shed a little more light on this!
Old 12-02-2016, 06:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you plan to store the gun until next hunting season and not use it, yes it is. Once ready to use it, then run some clean dry patches through it.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:39 PM
Banned

Do you need to store it with oil in the bore if it is stored in a proper/dry place?
Old 12-02-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Do you need to store it with oil in the bore if it is stored in a proper/dry place?
Once you clean the bore with most bore solvents, it has no protection against corrosion, so at least run a patch or two soaked with G-96 or another corrosion inhibitor through the bore. You can then store the rifle like that, or you can run a dry patch through the bore before storage. If you choose not to run a dry patch through the bore at that time, do so before firing the rifle. In any case, the dry patch will remove excess corrosion inhibitor, but it will still leave a thin film in the bore.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:13 PM
Banned

I guess you can oil everything as a preventative measure but what happens to bores not cleaned before storage?
Clean bores now require fouling before you take them out?
Storage conditions are much more important then having every gun with a spotless oily bore imo.
I would hazard a guess that improper or over cleaning and/or poor storage is as much of a risk as a dirty un-oiled bore.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I guess you can oil everything as a preventative measure but what happens to bores not cleaned before storage?
Clean bores now require fouling before you take them out?
Storage conditions are much more important then having every gun with a spotless oily bore imo.
I would hazard a guess that improper or over cleaning and/or poor storage is as much of a risk as a dirty un-oiled bore.
I have tested every rifle that I own with both a clean bore and a fouled bore, and I have found very little difference in accuracy, if any, between the two. As such, I often hunt with a clean bore. But yes, the storage conditions are likely more important than anything else. If you store your firearms in a damp location, corrosion is much more likely to result.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have tested every rifle that I own with both a clean bore and a fouled bore, and I have found very little difference in accuracy, if any, between the two. As such, I often hunt with a clean bore. But yes, the storage conditions are likely more important than anything else. If you store your firearms in a damp location, corrosion is much more likely to result.
Elk are the bores of your fairly expensive assortment of nice rifles lapped, this could account for your not needing fouling in your bore as many lesser expensive rifles some times need.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:31 AM

I use patches of Hoppes 9, 1st Choice, and then a nice oily patch to finish the job. Careful with Wipeout; I used it on a beautiful 1928 Savage 99 in 30-30. Some of the Wipeout went into the action and turned into a green glue on the brass round counter and was a pain the you-know-what to take down and clean as well. It works well but can also cause some issues if not used properly...
Old 12-03-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
Elk are the bores of your fairly expensive assortment of nice rifles lapped, this could account for your not needing fouling in your bore as many lesser expensive rifles some times need.
Some of the bores were quite possibly lapped before the barrels were installed. And yes, better barrel finishes could be a factor. If I did have a rifle that showed a significant difference in accuracy , or a change in point of impact from clean to fouled, I would be resolving the issue or getting rid of the rifle.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:58 AM

I use em all.

Wipeout is a fantastic labour saver, foam it in, leave it overnight, a couple patches the next day, and it's pretty darn good...... but..... you need a bore guide, it'll wreck some stock finishes, it'll attack brass or bronze internals(it's supposed to) it really has trouble with stubborn carbon fouling, or the baked on crud that H4831 likes to leave behind(possibly ashpaltines)
Therefore I still keep JB's, Butches, Kroil, Sweets 762, and Barnes CR10 on hand.

Never leave a un protected bore in long term storage, ever, all it takes is pitting or rusting a single chamber, and you'll understand why, because once the corrosion starts it's like a cancer, it seems to always come back on you.

I always take the time to put a fouling round or 6 through a rifle before taking it on a hunt. It verifies zero, and will give you zero issues in the week to 10 days prior to your hunt, which constitutes short term storage.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-03-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
What is this G86? Is it cheaper than G96?
I wait until it hits on sale !
Cat
Old 12-03-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
I would like to try some of this kg-12 does anyone know where I can get some in the Edmonton area?
I have never seen it in Edmonton. I bought mine from Grouse River.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:30 PM

I use Bore-tech Eliminator seems to work as advertised.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnp View Post
patch after patch after patch after patch after patch.....

I use wipeout also.......but i tell ya after patching out the wipeout i like to use a nylon brush to get all of it out. Wipeout is good but...following up with a nylon brush and clean patches, gets it all.
x 2.....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.