Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-10-2016, 10:52 AM

Question Choosing a New Fly Rod Setup.

I have been reading a number of threads of people asking advice on picking new fly rods. Almost invariably someone always say to "make sure you're testing it out on the water"

I am just curious how most people accomplish that. I mean short of having a friend who already has the exact set up you are interested in I am not sure how it would work.

The same goes with reels and lines ... then putting it all together as a setup.

Least with golf clubs they always have a set you can hit some balls with, but I have never heard of a place even with an indoor space to practice your cast with different set ups to see what actually suits you best (rod / line / reel) does this exist?

I think it would be extremely helpful to be able to try out a few rods with the same reel and line, then try out a few different lines on your "fav" rod then you could actually see what your "paying for"
Old 11-10-2016, 11:23 AM

Great question! That has come up for me too. I have often heard the saying "pick the rod that matches your casting style" but it's impossible to tell without actually trying it.
I know in the states some places have a casting field or casting pond set up for people to try rods. Nothing in edmonton besides a company's parking lot.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:33 AM

Just ask at the store. A lot of places will just take you out to the parking lot or something similar. It works well enough.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:40 AM

I have swung rods and tried lines at the following stores with no issues.
Fish Tales, Iron Bow and the Fishing Hole (only tested their rods). I'm sure all the other stores allow this too.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:46 AM

Agree I don't know how you test rods out "on the water", and I'm not sure it's even necessary. But I've always managed to test cast multiple rods I've been interested in out in the store parking lot or in other areas around the store. I've done that at Wholesale, Country Pleasures and Flies Etc. They throw on a demo reel and line and off you go.

I suppose you could also simply ask what the return policy is. If you can bring it back and get your money back no questions asked, do that.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:47 AM

Yes any dedicated Fly Fishing store (such as Bow River Troutfitters if you are Downtown, during lunch hour) will allow you to test rods.

I have even let my guiding clients (and offered AO folks on here) the opportunity to cast what rods I have (Winston, Sage, TFO, Redington and various custom rods, as it's the level of customer service I offer - I have no affiliation with any manufacture). It's best to have a "professional" observing you, as well that way they can assist you with choosing the best rod for you (and your casting style/stroke) and answer questions to help steer you in the right direction... Something that is (usually) not possible with a big box retailers (or online purchases).

Peter

-Confucius
Old 11-10-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Yes any dedicated Fly Fishing store (such as Bow River Troutfitters if you are Downtown, during lunch hour) will allow you to test rods.

I have even let my guiding clients (and offered AO folks on here) the opportunity to cast what rods I have (Winston, Sage, TFO, Redington and various custom rods, as it's the level of customer service I offer - I have no affiliation with any manufacture). It's best to have a "professional" observing you, as well that way they can assist you with choosing the best rod for you (and your casting style/stroke) and answer questions to help steer you in the right direction... Something that is (usually) not possible with a big box retailers (or online purchases).

Peter
Yup, years ago I took my first fly fishing course through Country Pleasures and had Jim McLellan teaching it. Advantage of that class is that I had multiple rods to choose from during the course so could try out a number of different models.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:21 PM

Fishing show in January has a casting pond to test out rods
Old 11-10-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
YES! I've done this before too. The fly fishing Expo at Spruce Meadows. Many stores and manufacturers there who will rig up any rod you want and walk you over to the pond or other area (usually at back of hall) for some casting. If you are in the market for any gear in Feb it's a must-go.

HOWEVER, their website and facebook page list no upcoming events, and it's already mid November. I wonder if there will be one this year. Can't imagine they would be this disorganized if they were still going to put one on in two months from now.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:33 PM

Organizers have decided to no longer put together the Fly Expo.

-Confucius
Old 11-10-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
That's too bad. I enjoyed it, and always bought gear I probably wouldn't have otherwise. Maybe the cancellation will result in a few more fly presenters at the Boat and Sportsman's shows. Fingers crossed.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
That's unfortunate ... I was excited for all of 4 seconds between the two posts.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:22 PM

I am assuming that once the economy is starting to recover that the Fly Expo will be back.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:21 AM

Case in point.

A number of years ago at the Expo, I was looking for a new rod and took a loaded reel down to try it out on a bunch of rods... It was super beneficial as I could definitely tell which rods were well balanced or tip heavy with this particular reel (I prefer to have lighter weight reels as most of my trips are to high mountain lakes where I'm fairly weight conscious).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post

-Confucius
Old 11-12-2016, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
That's unfortunate ... I was excited for all of 4 seconds between the two posts.

Me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk