Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-13-2016, 04:25 AM

Question Advantage of Sock Waders

I recently "upgraded" my waders from cheaper PVC, Walmart jobbies to a breathable pair from Canadian Tire (with built in boots), but it still seems the obvious weak point is the weld between the legs and the boots. I was thinking about returning these and trying to get some with socks and boots separate, before that though I would like to hear from people on here who have made the switch and see what they have they have to say.

Also is there a tonne of difference between getting wading boots and hikers with a similar vibram sole, bare in mind I have never even tried on a pair with the socks yet.

Thanks
Old 09-13-2016, 06:02 AM

Default Hey man

I know everyone else will say the same thing here and that is you have to buy an expensive brand of waders like Simms, orvis , reddington. The crappy tire wades are incomparable , I fish my waders hard (Simms Clearwater) for three years now Not a Leak ! the sock waders style is by far more comfortable and if you have to make a long hike you don't want loose fitting clunky attached boots, trust me I went through three pair of Canadian tire wades before I broke down and bought a good pair, but like I said I fish/ explore hard so maybe if ur just planning on tip toeing through the tulips the whole time the Canadian tire pairs might be fine lol
Old 09-13-2016, 06:28 AM

I'd take them back and get stocking foot waders, as Dragless mentions, they are a superior design.

As for boots, it would depend on the hiking boots. Keep in mind that they will need to be a little bigger because of the waders,`plus the material they're made from will be key. Also, many wading boots have felt soles for gripping slippery rocks, so it depends on your intended usage.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:43 AM

Not really interested in felt soles with all the crap that can be spread by them, and I would think that for the same "quality" of materials I large hiking boot would be cheaper than a guide caliber wading boot.

Either way I think I am going to return the waders.

Thanks for confirming what I already assumed.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
Not really interested in felt soles with all the crap that can be spread by them, and I would think that for the same "quality" of materials I large hiking boot would be cheaper than a guide caliber wading boot.

Either way I think I am going to return the waders.

Thanks for confirming what I already assumed.
Obviously you are right about the "crap" on felt soles....but I recently went back to my hiking boots after losing the sole on my ten year old felts and nearly drowned on a couple of occasions in a freestone stream.
If you remember to wash the felt sole boots down after every use with a good hose you will stand much less chance of spreading any sort of disease or parasite.
BTW, my old boots were the Cabela felt soles and i hope to get another 10 years out of my new cabela boots. Price: $99.00CDN.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italk2u View Post
BTW, my old boots were the Cabela felt soles and i hope to get another 10 years out of my new cabela boots. Price: $99.00CDN.
Sound like you and I have the same boots.... I got mine on sale for $85, and while I didn't expect much, they seem like a better boot than I anticipated.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italk2u View Post
Obviously you are right about the "crap" on felt soles....but I recently went back to my hiking boots after losing the sole on my ten year old felts and nearly drowned on a couple of occasions in a freestone stream.
If you remember to wash the felt sole boots down after every use with a good hose you will stand much less chance of spreading any sort of disease or parasite.
What about the long walks to the good spots in your felt soled boots? I would think gravel and dry rocks would do quite a number on felt.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
What about the long walks to the good spots in your felt soled boots? I would think gravel and dry rocks would do quite a number on felt.
Felt soles actually last longer than you might expect, and replacements are easy to find to replace them once they wear out.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:54 PM

If you want a decent boot korkers are really good for the price. They have interchangeable soles when you buy them you get a felt sole and rubber. One for hiking one for fishing. Wash your felt soles when you get home with tap water and let them completely dry in the sun. You will never spread anything that way. As for expensive waders yeah there is a huge difference. Stitching, reinforcing waterproofing and layers of materials. The best thing about them is that they fit better and you have less excess material flapping around causing drag in the current. It makes crossing deeper runs easier. Really helps standing in the bow river
Old 09-13-2016, 06:06 PM

Wading in fast water with hiking boots is terrible and dangerous. Get yourself a pair of wading boots, you don't have to break the bank. Korkers are certainly an option if you want interchangeable. Hiking into spots with felt bottoms isn't an issue for the felt. I've forgot wading boots at home and had to fish with high quality hiking boots and it was treacherous.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:54 PM

Have used felt soles for years. Hiking is no problem at all, usually do a few miles, have been cleaning boots and other gear since the 80's (when whirling disease started showing up in the US and there was talk of it during fisheries round table meetings). It isn't just felt but laces, waders, nets and any other gear that hits the water is suspect.

Clean mud off of your gear, be sure to air dry completely between fishing trips, you can use a mild bleach solution dip on felt boots then rise (warning it may corrode stitches over time if used too frequently).

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 09-13-2016, 11:50 PM

Thanks a lot for the info fellas, looks like I am going shopping these days off.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:55 AM

I have a pair of korkers and love them. They were right around $100 at bass pro during their spring fishing sale.
Soles last a long time and cheap to replace. Also you can get felt, rubber, studded whatever suites you.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:33 AM

separate wading boots are superior. Invaluable for keeping your footing on uneven rocks in the water, etc. I can't imagine trying to navigate in rubber boots.

Another advantage is that in the summer I don't even bother with waders. I just fish in shorts, wearing my wading boots with a pair of neoprene socks to keep them tight to my foot. Much more convenient, and it keeps my waders in good shape for the shoulder spring and fall seasons. I suppose, however, that you could really go light and just fish in old runners that you don't care about anymore. However you lose the ankle support.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:07 PM

I couldn't return my current waders I could only exchange them so no sock waders for me ... ... ... least for now.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:18 PM

I went back out determined to at least try on some socked waders and I must say ... ... ... NOT impressed.
The socks are all huge no matter what size "wader" I tried. Therefor while putting on the boots that were quite uncomfortable the socks would bunch up and make them even less comfortable.

I tried on a bunch of different ones and the simms were the tightest socks they had in my size but the price was outside my budget especially when you have to buy comfortable boots.

Guess sock waders are not in my immediate future.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:54 PM

Patagonia have better sized stockings but same price point as Simms

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2016, 02:06 AM

Quote:
I went back out determined to at least try on some socked waders and I must say ... ... ... NOT impressed.
The socks are all huge no matter what size "wader" I tried. Therefor while putting on the boots that were quite uncomfortable the socks would bunch up and make them even less comfortable.

I tried on a bunch of different ones and the simms were the tightest socks they had in my size but the price was outside my budget especially when you have to buy comfortable boots.

Guess sock waders are not in my immediate future.
I use women's waders.... And no, I'm not a women. Slight difference in how they fit, but over all very similar. Much better fit for my proportions. Redington has a good selection.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commieboy View Post
I use women's waders.... And no, I'm not a women. Slight difference in how they fit, but over all very similar. Much better fit for my proportions. Redington has a good selection.
From what I was reading on other threads it seemed like Redington was the way to go. Place I stopped didn't have any. But I didn't think to try the larger women's sizes in the simms.

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycoma View Post
If you want a decent boot korkers are really good for the price. They have interchangeable soles when you buy them you get a felt sole and rubber. One for hiking one for fishing.
Korkers have about the poorest user satisfaction of any product out there. I have personally seen 3 pairs of korkers that buddies have been wearing have the soles separate from the boot in the middle of a day on the water, and have heard of many more than that. The principle behind them is great, the execution is terrible.http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/inde...howtopic=23942
Old 10-26-2016, 08:04 PM

This thread is PERFECT for my question.......
Sorry for hijacking it.....
I have a pair of Kokatat chest paddling bibs, but don't want to wear them out hiking and wading.
Looking for a decent pair of waders and boots That won't kill my wallet.
Recommendations????
Going to basspro tomorrow after work to see what I can get.
Like to try and hit some streams before they close.
I only have this weekend. 😔
Old 10-26-2016, 10:57 PM

If didymo and invasive species can be passed on through felt, what is stopping it from being carried by the material your boot is made out of? Or your neoprene on the foot? I've never understood that argument for rubber vs felt.

Look at it this way, if you're going to be doing long hikes (3km+ a day) in your waders on average, get vibram, if you plan on standing in a few holes and you're worried about falling in, or the wading/cross could be tricky, get dont hesitate on the felt. Nothing beats it.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:
You have to get proper sized boots, and proper sized waders. I dont understand how neoprene socks could be more uncomfortable than crappy tire rubber boot foot waders.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
You have to get proper sized boots, and proper sized waders. I dont understand how neoprene socks could be more uncomfortable than crappy tire rubber boot foot waders.
Because they weren't "socks" they were more huge mittens for your feet and the boots were not comfortable.

The crappy tire rubber boots I could wear Bama socks in which made them warm and comfortable.

The ones I have now, the boots are more like the Dunlop's people wear on the rigs. VERY comfy and warm.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
If didymo and invasive species can be passed on through felt, what is stopping it from being carried by the material your boot is made out of? Or your neoprene on the foot? I've never understood that argument for rubber vs felt.

Look at it this way, if you're going to be doing long hikes (3km+ a day) in your waders on average, get vibram, if you plan on standing in a few holes and you're worried about falling in, or the wading/cross could be tricky, get dont hesitate on the felt. Nothing beats it.
I am very surprised I haven't been able to find an aftermarket device you can slip over your boots to give them a felt sole. Something similar to ice cleats.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:48 AM

Quality wading boots over sock type waders provide a better fit and stability than boot foot waders, when hiking and fishing rocky bottom stream fishing.

Boot foot waders are much better suited to duck hunting in swampy, mucky places,,,,and launching your boat at the boat launch if you need to get in the water.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Quality wading boots over sock type waders provide a better fit and stability than boot foot waders, when hiking and fishing rocky bottom stream fishing.

Boot foot waders are much better suited to duck hunting in swampy, mucky places,,,,and launching your boat at the boat launch if you need to get in the water.
Will have to agree to disagree. What I was trying on would have cost me 700.00. The boots had no arch support the socks were bulky and what I got was more comfortable, warm and we'll less than half the price.

So you can have your boots and socks since you were lucky enough to find ones that fit well, but I don't think I should have to pay close to $1000 to have ones that fit me properly. The ones I found are better in every respect than anything I tried on before.

When these ones need replacing maybe I will try again but for now I am very happy with the ones I have.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:15 PM

Boot foot waders are really just extra tall rubber boots. If you have strong ankles and don't need the ankle support,,, and don't mind hiking with rubber boots, then they are a much simpler option as it is much easier to get in and out of and as you mentioned, generally a cheaper combination than a sock foot / wading boot combination.

I prefer the extra stability and better ankle support that a wading boot can provide, and find them far more comfortable,,, and wear them for fishing and hiking streams for that reason.

Each of us has their reasons for their preferences.

Happy Wading!