Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-08-2016, 04:23 PM

Default Rod Builders?

Does anyone on here build fly rods or grips more precisely? I bought an Echo Solo to give as a gift to a new fly fisher with small hands, and I would like the grip reduced slightly in size. Someone who has sanded grips on a lathe would be great. Just pm me... Thanks
Old 10-09-2016, 05:38 PM

it's really easy, you don't even need a lathe. find a way to spin the butt section (I stick a piece of ready rod into a drill and snug the handle onto that, but you won't be able to do so on a finished rod, obviously) and just hold a bit of 80 grit sand paper to it. finish with fine grit, blow off then wash with water and a bit of dish soap

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 10-10-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
it's really easy, you don't even need a lathe. find a way to spin the butt section (I stick a piece of ready rod into a drill and snug the handle onto that, but you won't be able to do so on a finished rod, obviously) and just hold a bit of 80 grit sand paper to it. finish with fine grit, blow off then wash with water and a bit of dish soap
yes I was trying to figure out how I could do it on a drill but it is a finished rod so how would I stick the metal butt end into a drill???
Old 10-10-2016, 08:48 AM

Cork is very soft. I would buy some 60, 100, and 150 grade sand paper. Start with the coarsest, hold it to the grip and spin the rod by hand. When it is shaped smooth it with the 100 and then go to the 150. If that does not come out with a fine enough finish go to a finer grit. As a finish I melt some bees wax into a cloth and apply it to the cork, you have to rub that fairly hard on the cork to create enough friction to get the wax to melt a little on the cork. The entire operation should be doable in an hour or two.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-10-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Cork is very soft. I would buy some 60, 100, and 150 grade sand paper. Start with the coarsest, hold it to the grip and spin the rod by hand. When it is shaped smooth it with the 100 and then go to the 150. If that does not come out with a fine enough finish go to a finer grit. As a finish I melt some bees wax into a cloth and apply it to the cork, you have to rub that fairly hard on the cork to create enough friction to get the wax to melt a little on the cork. The entire operation should be doable in an hour or two.
Ok I will try that ..I was afraid it might change the shape of the grip if I did that way.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker2 View Post
Ok I will try that ..I was afraid it might change the shape of the grip if I did that way.
Just make sure to rotate the rod on the paper and not move the paper on the rod. It will change the shape of the grip if your not careful.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-10-2016, 03:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker2 View Post
Does anyone on here build fly rods or grips more precisely? I bought an Echo Solo to give as a gift to a new fly fisher with small hands, and I would like the grip reduced slightly in size. Someone who has sanded grips on a lathe would be great. Just pm me... Thanks
It sounds like the person who the rod is for would have to be present if you got someone with a lathe to sand down the grip. That way everyone would know when enough is enough.
I don't think its too difficult for someone with a lathe as long as extreme care is taken when mounting the rod into the chuck.
Doing it by hand sounds iffy to me. Not saying it can't be done, but there's no going back.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:57 PM

If you are going to do it with a drill, tape up the end of the rod that is going in the chuck then you have no chuck marks. use only enough pressure on the paper to start the sanding. You don't want to stop the rod and have the chuck spin on the rod.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:50 AM

See if you can get hold of Kingfisher off of the board, he would have the right equipment to do the job. I could have done it for you, but I'm living on the coast now. Quick and easy job with the right equipment.

Colin
Old 10-19-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDone View Post
See if you can get hold of Kingfisher off of the board, he would have the right equipment to do the job. I could have done it for you, but I'm living on the coast now. Quick and easy job with the right equipment.

Colin
Thanks for the tip I'll see if I can find him.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:36 PM

Geoff at pieroway rods in calgary would be a great guy to ask.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
Geoff at pieroway rods in calgary would be a great guy to ask.
Thanks for the info but I live in Edmonton and don't go to Calgary very much at all.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:54 PM

Smile

PM sent.

I am in Calgary and will do it for you. Just bring it with you when ever you happen to be here. It will only take me 10 minutes with you there. I can spin it on the rod lathe and have you check it to be 100% sure it's right for you.

It's quick and easy if you have the right equipment.

Last edited by Kingfisher; 10-22-2016 at 01:59 PM.